Cali School changes mind after complaints

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Heretic
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral
Location: Why no Krom I didn't know you can have 100 characters in this box.

Cali School changes mind after complaints

Post by Heretic »

A 13 year boy was told he couldn't come to school with an American Flag attached to his bike. He was told there were complaints about the flag and it was causing racial tensions. Funny thing is there is an American Flag flying out side of the school house. They have since say the 13 year old may fly his flag on his bike.

So now it's apparently racist to fly the American Flag in America :roll:

http://www.gather.com/viewArticle.actio ... 4978689580
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

If a Mexican has a problem with an American flag in America, then that Mexican needs to kindly pack up their belongings and go back to Mexico, where the drug cartels will wave guns in their face and or murder them.
null0010
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by null0010 »

Krom wrote:If a Mexican has a problem with an American flag in America, then that Mexican needs to kindly pack up their belongings and go back to Mexico, where the drug cartels will wave guns in their face and or murder them.
I think that's maybe possibly a little, um, extreme.
Fear is the engine that destroys freedom.
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Avder »

null0010 wrote:
Krom wrote:If a Mexican has a problem with an American flag in America, then that Mexican needs to kindly pack up their belongings and go back to Mexico, where the drug cartels will wave guns in their face and or murder them.
I think that's maybe possibly a little, um, extreme.
Extreme, but imo, correct. If an immigrant has a problem with an American flag, they shouldn't be here, because they don't want to be an American, they want to Mexicanize America.
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

I must agree. One of my pet peeves is people flying their nation's flag too proudly in the USA. I'm not even a patriot; I just think it's disrespectful. The idea that the sight of the American flag inside our borders could cause racial tension makes me believe things are worse here than I thought.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Vision, this is what Canada has become. It's not \"Merry Xmas\" now it's \"happy Holidays\" cause you could offend another religion.

If you won't like it, GTFO!!!
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Re:

Post by CUDA »

CDN_Merlin wrote:If you won't like it, GTFO!!!
+1
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Re:

Post by Isaac »

X2! Mexicans proud of their heritage should be disappointed in Mexico and be proud of the best American nation.
null0010
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by null0010 »

If a person has a problem with America, that person should try to change America. That's what democracy does.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Re:

Post by Isaac »

null0010 wrote:If a person has a problem with America, that person should try to change America. That's what democracy does.
The sky is blue and I like cookies.
null0010
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by null0010 »

Isaac wrote:
null0010 wrote:If a person has a problem with America, that person should try to change America. That's what democracy does.
I agree.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Re:

Post by Isaac »

null0010 wrote:
Isaac wrote:
I agree.
I LIED! I only like certain cookies.
null0010
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by null0010 »

Sir, you offend me!
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Re:

Post by CUDA »

Bet51987 wrote:-1
we're still up by one so neeener neeener :P
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Go to any ARAB state and see what they will do to you if you start flying a US flag and say that the US is the best and see how many bullets get lodged in you.

We always have to bend to there ways but they will never change for us.

GET THE F*CK OUT IF YOU DON'T IT!!!!!!!
null0010
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by null0010 »

I'm sorry sir but that is not how our government works. If it were, you would have to leave.
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Bet51987 »

Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Avder »

The big problem I have is that a lot of these Mexican immigrants are already changing America just by sheer presence of numbers.

So far we have:
-An option for spanish phone menus on pretty much every phone system in the US
-Menus and advertisements are now in English and Spanish.
-Several spanish speaking TV stations including a couple that are running nationwide through affiliates, namely Univision.
-Several controversies surrounding American patriotism "upsetting" mexicans inside American schools (anyone remember the Cinco de Mayo controversy with a group of kids wearing US Flag shirts on that day?)

The issue isn't the Mexicans who want to live here and stay here and be part of the US as it is. Those ones actually assimilate and add to our culture while embracing ours. The problem is there's so many mexicans who just want to come here and have it be like mexico would be if people were paid better and it wasnt a dust covered third world hellhole. Those ones want to be able to go into any business and speak spanish and shoot you if you try to make them learn english.

Sure, I'm being a little extreme, but I think were being way too tolerant of their lack of ability to actually assimilate into society. If they all came here and just wanted to work their asses off, buy a house, put down roots, learn the damned language, and have a good life, I would happily join them when they started petitioning congress to make Cinco de Mayo a national holiday, cause we all need more national holidays and excuses to go drink.

But thats not the case. So it's going to lead to a culture war. I sure as hell dont want to be speaking spanish, and I dont want any channels that speak spanish on my basic cable tier.

A major problem is that these mexicans have declared a culture war and the rest of America refuses to acknowledge it. It's just another way for the country to be divided, and that's just going to cost the country in the long run.
null0010
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by null0010 »

Why are any of those things a problem? As far as I can tell, you just plain don't like it. If someone wants to come live in the United States, but doesn't want to speak English, that's their problem. Let them do it. Doesn't hurt me one little bit. I think it's a dumb idea, but I am not opposed to it, but I am also not opposed to people getting so drunk they vomit.
Heretic
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Heretic »

Well the law says to become a citizen of the US you need Have the ability to read, write, speak, and understand English. So you just want them to keep violating our laws?
null0010
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by null0010 »

What law says that? Show me.
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re:

Post by Will Robinson »

I'll refrain from explaining the difference between a democracy and a representative republic and go with your proposition...
Are you suggesting they work within the law?
If so I'm on your side.

Lets start by not giving special consideration for someone caught breaking the law because he is a minority who will vote largely for one party over the other and instead follow through with the punishment as the law is written. Of course change the law if you can get the votes but if you don't get the votes then you must execute the law ( not you individually, this rant is directed at the current administration and that of the municipalities and government agencies that are refusing to execute the law right now)

Or were you just posturing about expecting people to work within and respect the system we have?
Heretic
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Heretic »

§ 312.1 Literacy requirements.
(a) General. Except as otherwise provided in paragraph (b) of this section, no person shall be naturalized as a citizen of the United States upon his or her own application unless that person can demonstrate an understanding of the English language, including an ability to read, write, and speak words in ordinary usage in the English language.

http://law.justia.com/us/cfr/title08/8-1.0.1.3.65.html

Ignorance of the law excuses no one not even your ignorance of the law.
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

Avder wrote:So far we have:
-An option for spanish phone menus on pretty much every phone system in the US
-Menus and advertisements are now in English and Spanish.
-Several spanish speaking TV stations including a couple that are running nationwide through affiliates, namely Univision.
It's just good business. This is something that I'm more than content to let the free market handle.
Heretic
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Heretic »

Heretic wrote:Well the law says to become a citizen of the US you need Have the ability to read, write, speak, and understand English. So you just want them to keep violating our laws?
And where did I say anything less?
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re:

Post by Will Robinson »

Bet51987 wrote:You can still live and work in this country on a semi or permanent basis without speaking english. The english requirement is only when seeking citizenship.

Bee
Are you in favor of enforcing the laws that specify what basis they can enter or not enter the country?
Before one can legally stay on a 'semi or permanent basis' one would have to enter legally otherwise there is no legal basis by which one could stay here at all.
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Bet51987 »

flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Everybody should know by now that Bee's a communist :P
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re:

Post by Will Robinson »

Bet51987 wrote:
Will Robinson wrote:
Bet51987 wrote:You can still live and work in this country on a semi or permanent basis without speaking english. The english requirement is only when seeking citizenship.

Bee
Are you in favor of enforcing the laws that specify what basis they can enter or not enter the country?
Before one can legally stay on a 'semi or permanent basis' one would have to enter legally otherwise there is no legal basis by which one could stay here at all.
I think this is some type of "ad Hominem" but I could be wrong. If it is, I wish it was made of straw instead so I could light it on fire and kick the burning embers around. :wink:

Bee
Maybe it's just a simple question relevant to the discussion and you could consider what it is asking and then answer honestly, if not in public at least to yourself.
Heretic
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Heretic »

flip wrote:Everybody should know by now that Bee's a communist :P
Yes but she could answer questions without running away.
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

Nah. Bee's just a hippie. :)
"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - Mao Zedong
null0010
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by null0010 »

Will Robinson wrote:
Are you suggesting they work within the law?
If so I'm on your side.
I absolutely think they should work within the law. Become citizens, lobby Congress; like the rest of us. If someone doesn't like the way the country is run, try to change it. That's how our democracy works.
Heretic
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Heretic »

null0010 wrote:That's how our democracy works.
Care to rethink that last remark. Last I heard this country is a Republic not a Democracy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by woodchip »

Heretic wrote:
null0010 wrote:That's how our democracy works.
Care to rethink that last remark. Last I heard this country is a Republic not a Democracy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States
Actually the point Null makes is correct. We all think of America as a Democracy. While how laws get enacted and the whole process there-in is based on a republic, how the people force change is a democratic one. If US citizens of Latino descent want to band together (much like the tea party people)and influence the republic to enact laws for their benefit...so be it. I think what offends most of us are the illegals trying to force change without being required to pay the dues for the right to do so.
Heretic
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Heretic »

I have to disagree with
We all think of America as a Democracy
Because if we all thought that I wouldn't have brought up the fact that we are a republic. Just because people think the US is a Democracy doesn't make it so. Besides the only ones with enough power and money to change America are the huge corporations. Just ask TC and friends. :wink:
null0010
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by null0010 »

You're just nitpicking. My statement still stands perfectly well if you substitute \"republic\" for \"democracy.\"
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

If your really interested…

http://www.williampmeyers.org/republic.html
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TechPro »

\"... the Republic, for which it stands...\"

It's a Republic that is ruled by Democracy.