Descent 3 in Anaglyph 3D and Shutter glasses Stereo 3D

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

vitosky
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Descent 3 in Anaglyph 3D and Shutter glasses Stereo 3D

Post by vitosky »

Hello friends finally after many attempts, I have uncovered like playing to Descent3 in Anaglyph 3D mode and i think also in others modes with IZ3D drivers that supports only Directx9 and quad buffered OpenGL drivers, the solution is the dgVoodoo wrapper. DgVoodoo is a Glide Wrapper that implements Glide 2.11 and Glide 2.43 API by using DirectX9 it provides support to run Windows-based and DOS-based applications using Glide, and it can also emulate VESA 2.0 for DOS applications, and since Descent3 it supports 3dfx Glide it works with IZ3D drivers. Therefore here like making in order to activate the Anaglyph 3D mode in Descent3: 1) Install the IZ3D drivers (the anaglyph 3D mode is free)in your computer, 2) Extract the content of DgVoodoo rar archive in the main directory of Descent3, 3) Now open the setup of DgVoodoo and in the Global window navigate to open the glide driver in the Descent3 directory, 4)In the Renderer API set Direct3D9 and in the display driver set Automaticallyselected 5) In the Glide window let's the default settings 6) Now press Ok and exit to the setup of DgVoodoo. 7) Launch Descent3 and in the setup launcher in the Video window press redetect available rendering devices and scan for the selected video devices and select 3Dfx Glide Voodoo Graphics driver after the scan. 8)Ok now Descent3 is ready to play with Dgvoodoo wrapper and IZ3D driver.9) When you play don't select the campaign retribution she gives an error but select a thirdy party mission 10) To activate the anaglyph driver in game press the * key in the numeric keyboard and play with your Anaglyph glasses in real 3D to Descent3 :D WOH 8)

Update very important read this: I have tested Nglide wrapper with IZ3d driver and it's work very well it's support Windows7 too, then i recommend this in place of Dgvoodoo wrapper.
http://www.zeus-software.com/downloads/nglide

screenshot of Descent3 in Anaglyph mode

IZ3D homepage:
http://www.iz3d.com/software
http://www.iz3d.com/driver
http://forum.iz3d.com/

download link for the Dgvoodoo and the IZ3D drivers
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YG8VUEFU

Anaglyph glasses

http://www.3dglassesdirect.com/Plastic_3D_Glasses.html

Shutter Glasses Mode requirements:

Edimensional glasses
http://www.edimensional.com/index.php?cPath=21
http://www.ultimate3dheaven.com/3dstac1.html

Elsa Revelator
http://ultimate3dheaven.com/elwi3dgl.html
http://www.ultimate3dheaven.com/3dstac1.html

1) A pair of shutter glasses wired or wireless Edimensional, Elsa revelator, X3D, etc. with Vga dongle included with the glasses, Ir emitter only for wireless glasses.

2) A Crt monitor capable of refresh of 120hz or 3d ready Monitor at 120hz (Zalman,IZ3D,VieWsonic etc.)

3) Drivers for Ati video cards: Edimensional universal driver included in the cd of edimensional glasses works in interleave mode (this drivers are compatible with Directx 7,8,9 and Open GL)
(IZ3D drivers or Tridef drivers work with Nglide wrapper for all graphic card)
With IZ3D driver go in the control panel of the drivers and select interleaved and horizontal.

4)For Nvidia cards 7000 series only (ForceWare drivers 71.89, 78.01, 84.21, 91.31 or 162.50 at the very latest with their respective 3D stereo enabling counterparts. 162.50 were the last drivers to suppord 3rd party glasses.)
- a GeForce 7900GS, 7800gtx, 7900GT, 7900GTX or 7950 older card. Those were the last cards to fully support 3rd party glasses. Reportedly 8800 gtx, 8800 gts (the old one with 320 and 640 mb ram) and 8800 Ultra cards can be made to work with lots of hacking, but only for DirecX (so no OpenGL)

5)Instruction to use shutter glasses
http://www.guru3d.com/category/eDimensional/
http://forum.iz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=939
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=163555
http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/index.php

6) E-D activator to activate your glasses:
Launch the E-D activator and select interleaved and activate stereo on
http://www.edimensional.com/support_updates.php

Descent3 Retribution start level one with IZ3D driver and nglide wrapper in Stereo 3D

The Robots in Stereo 3D in Retribution level one with IZ3D driver and nglide wrapper
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Awesome! :D

I assume the dgVoodoo wrappear works with both ATI and NVidia cards, as long as you have DX9?
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

The dgvoodoo wrapper is working great on this ati1300, but the 3d drivers are not. Bummer. I will say glide looks hands down better than ogl though so it's still a plus for me.
vitosky
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by vitosky »

Yes the Dgvoodoo work with Ati and Nvidia cards and i have a Ati 3650 with windows xp.
vitosky
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by vitosky »

For Flip ensure you have this settings to enable the driver:

and in the Directx option set Output anaglyph and red and cyan if you are installed the complete IZ3D driver:

At last make a dynamic test in the help window to test the driver:

vitosky
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by vitosky »

Another tip: if you have the Nvidia 3d vision driver installed you must uninstall becouse it creates conflict with IZ3D driver

IZ3D Forum http://forum.iz3d.com/viewforum.php?f=25
vitosky
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by vitosky »

When you are in game to correct the default setting adjust the Separation and the Convergence for enhance
the 3d View:

Indica
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Indica »

tested quickly with this computer:
Intel I7 920 overclocked to 4ghz
Asus Rampage Extreme II
2 Ge-force 480 in SLI
GTX 295 PhysX Card
12gb ddr3 2000mhz ram
Intel SSD in RAID 0
BR RW
1000w Sony surround sound
Mitsubishi 65\" DLP 3d HDTV (wishing for a 1080p 3d projector!)
NVIDIA 3D Vision

Great job! this almost works. i had to tweak it a bit to get it from crashing. ill those post details later after work.

the whole program works in true Nvidia shutter glass stereo 3d- except their is no 3d perspective. Im guessing that your driver does not have access to Nvidia's proprietary 3d perspective. Im pretty sure nvidia does not use quad buffered stereo perspective yet. they are being forced to with the new hdmi 1.4a tv's but as far as the proprietary legacy 120hrz LCD monitors or 60 hrz checkerboard dlp tv's- they still use nvidia's system.

so to recap- the shutter glasses work the game runs just fine- but there is no 3d depth- or convergence. useing the hotheys that the NV control panel uses does not adjust anything. they hot keys are showing depth adjustment but nothing happens.

ill post more details and screen shots of my config later when i get a chance.

Great job on this program BTW!! Many thanks.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Unfortunately D3 seems to totally ignore the iZ3D driver. Just as a test I installed UT2004 to see if the 3d driver was working at all and it was. I can see stereo separation in UT2004. For some reason D3 doesn't seem to activate the driver at all.

EDIT:The only disparity I can find is that the OK:CANCEL:ABOUT buttons in the dgvoodoosetup don't seem to respond. I can't be sure the parameters I've set for the driver is taking or not.
vitosky
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by vitosky »

Reading in the forums of IZ3D i have found a thread
in which they explain how to getting Getting Nvidia 3D Vision glasses to work with iZ3D driver

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p ... 04bd63b7d3
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

flip you running D3 in OpenGL or D3D ......

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
Indica
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Indica »

its a bummer! the hack is not going to work with my hardware (at least i could not figure out how to do it!!) the software was written for side by side 3d format- my DLP uses TI 60 hrz checkerboard 3d. I will play with it more later- to see if i can support other formats- but i dont have much time do dedicate to this.

The only option i can think of is to go with dlp link glasses and the iz3d drivers- which i tried in the past and found did not utilize my PC's high end gtx 480 SLI and dedicated physX cards or dx 10 and 11 games. iz3d is great- but they are way behind NV drivers- IMHO and experience. Maybe in the near future they will get the driver up to speed. i sure hope so- competition will bring more people into 3d gaming.

have you considered adding support to 3d vision users? the drivers are vastly superior to iz3d at this point in time (for gaming performance and supporting new titles and features) - along with a huge user base.

Consider including a way to donate to our cause! i would love to support your work. D3 in old school Glide glory and stereo 3d wold breathe new life into this game!!

thanks again!
vitosky
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by vitosky »

Yes Indica you are right, however IZ3D drivers supports all shutter glasses too like E-dimensional shutter glasses and others, they can be an alternative to Nvidia glasses.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Foil »

BUBBALOU wrote:flip you running D3 in OpenGL or D3D ......
Neither one.

This wrapper allows you to run D3 in Glide.

Haven't tried it yet; I'll give it a go over the weekend.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Yeah, running the glide wrapper, which does work, just no response at all from the IZ3D driver.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

LOL - DoH Moment

Why a Glide Wrapper for 3D.... seems kind of backwards since D3 supports D3D, OpenGL and Glide.....

Glide's tombstone was erected with DirectX5 were now at 11 yet we need something prior to 5 to work on 9 ??

Hillbilly Hackjob in that download?

Direct from their website

\"IZ3D provides software that transforms all kinds of PC entertainment into 3D. The IZ3D software works with a wide range of applications, including games, movies, and pictures. The iZ3D driver supports a large set of stereoscopic systems, including shutter, interlaced, anaglyph, dual view, stereo mirror, VR920, etc.

iZ3D software is compatible with Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, supports DirectX 8, DirectX 9 and DirectX10 games. Most importantly, all iZ3D software works both on AMD Radeon and nVidia GeForce GPUs.\"

I didn't see 3dfx mentioned

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
AlphaDoG
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by AlphaDoG »

Dude in case you don't know GLIDE was the ★■◆● for a wee bit.

More than one game came off better in GLIDE.

Carmageddon for ONE!
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

AD: I have numerous 3dfx cards...... No need to preach!

Just trying to understand why direct links to the programs are not provided, and why you need to use a glide wrapper for a driver that was not made for glide??

http://www.iz3d.com/drivers/download.ph ... Setup.1.10

current version is from 11/09

OH I KNOW WHY!, it's only 30 day DEMO unless you are only using Anaglyph Output

flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Yeah I was wondering the same thing. The glide wrapper actually looks pretty damn good, but I couldn't find anything with IZ3D supporting glide either. Problem is I think that D3 is like a DirectX 6 game or thereabout. Now would be a great time to patch to DX9 with this revival of 3D :D This game is like no other and 3D is the only thing it has ever lacked. Would make it perfect.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Dgvoodoo is from 2006...

the stable releases, but the ones in the file he (OP) links are both Beta Release Candidates with known issues

vitosky
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by vitosky »

BUBBALOU wrote::why you need to use a glide wrapper for a driver that was not made for glide??
Clearly I use the DgVoodoo wrapper becouse he use directx-9 renderer to enable IZ3D drivers wich supports Directx-8, Directx-9, Directx-10, Directx-11, but not Directx-6 that is used by Descent3 in normal Directx mode.
Naturally if Descent3 were patched to DX9, us of it would not be need.
flip wrote:Yeah, running the glide wrapper, which does work, just no response at all from the IZ3D driver.
A tip for Flip install the last ones Catalyst driver and uninstall IZ3D drivers at all and reinstall the IZ3D drivers installing only the Anaglyph drivers then you make in order a Dynamic Test to see if the drivers work with your Ati video card .
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Yeah I was thinking I might try that vitosky. I seem to remember installing the legacy driver set from ATI considering the age of this card, but I'll give the newest set a try and see how it goes in the next few days.
Indica
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Indica »

man i wish D3 was patched to dx9- it sucks missing out on the stereo goodness.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

3D output is 3D output......

flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Well I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure that just checks for the current version (DX9) which is back compatible with DX6, but DX6 is not supported by the IZ3D drivers. Are you saying that D3 should work with the IZ3D drivers (or any other if you know) with D3 running under DirectX or what? I'm not sure.
If not, then do you have another solution? I'd really like to play a few D3 games in 3D.
AlphaDoG
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by AlphaDoG »

I have better than diewreckedX 6.1, am I good to go?
It's never good to wake up in the shrubs naked, you either got way too drunk, or your azz is a werewolf.

BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Have you tried the stable releases of said programs. not these 3-4 year old betas

Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Gooberman »

BUBBALOU wrote:3D output is 3D output......

Wow, seeing that image really took me back...
Glowhyena
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Glowhyena »

Hope the Diamond Claw wasn't going to reach out of my monitor and stab me when using Anaglyph. lol
vitosky
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by vitosky »

BUBBALOU wrote:Have you tried the stable releases of said programs. not these 3-4 year old betas
This is the last version of Dgvoodoo and work very well.
flip wrote:Well I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure that just checks for the current version (DX9) which is back compatible with DX6, but DX6 is not supported by the IZ3D drivers. Are you saying that D3 should work with the IZ3D drivers (or any other if you know) with D3 running under DirectX or what? I'm not sure.
If not, then do you have another solution? I'd really like to play a few D3 games in 3D.
For now this the only method to enable IZ3D drivers with Descent 3, in the next one release of IZ3d drivers will give full support for OpenGL.

Flip if your video card don't work with latest Catalyst drivers make the upgrade of your video card.
Indica
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Indica »

anyone know if d3 works in eyefinity or NV surround?
Floggin
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Re:

Post by Floggin »

Indica wrote:its a bummer! the hack is not going to work with my hardware (at least i could not figure out how to do it!!) the software was written for side by side 3d format- my DLP uses TI 60 hrz checkerboard 3d. I will play with it more later- to see if i can support other formats- but i dont have much time do dedicate to this.

The only option i can think of is to go with dlp link glasses and the iz3d drivers- which i tried in the past and found did not utilize my PC's high end gtx 480 SLI and dedicated physX cards or dx 10 and 11 games. iz3d is great- but they are way behind NV drivers- IMHO and experience. Maybe in the near future they will get the driver up to speed. i sure hope so- competition will bring more people into 3d gaming.

have you considered adding support to 3d vision users? the drivers are vastly superior to iz3d at this point in time (for gaming performance and supporting new titles and features) - along with a huge user base.

Consider including a way to donate to our cause! i would love to support your work. D3 in old school Glide glory and stereo 3d wold breathe new life into this game!!

thanks again!
IZ3D is SLI Compatible has been for me the whole time. i have had it now for years, yeah the whole system. BTW Glid doesn't work on the IZ3D monitor well and it screws teh whole Video Driver and D3 profile whiel on gTX275's on driver 260.99 and newest IZ3D driver. openGL is teh way this should be done, but the RC1.11 sucked and the only decetn OpenGL version was 1.10. open GL is removed from teh Driver in teh latest Fll version and RC
Indica
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Indica »

i wish that was true. i never had any second GPU utilization. sure it ran- but iz3d is much slower and more buggy on my hardware. the driver is far behind nvidia on features. its a mute point now i sold the dlp link stuff due to the fact that it is far inferior to nvidia 3d.
Indica
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Indica »

another nice glide wrapper that is still supported
http://www.zeus-software.com/downloads/nglide

works with 3d vision- except there is no 3d perspective. the glasses work and the hot keys work- just no 3d separation.

anyone care to test it with iz3d?
vitosky
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by vitosky »

I have tested Nglide wrapper with IZ3d driver and it's work very well it's support Windows7 too, then i recommend this in place of Dgvoodoo wrapper that not work with Retribution campaign, and moreover i have added support for shutter glasses and screenshots ingame at the top of my post.
Now Descent 3 in Stereo 3D with shutter glasses it's fantastic.

viewtopic.php?t=17463&start=0
vitosky
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by vitosky »

Here as it is looked in 3D Stereo with shutter glasses

Indica
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Indica »

can anyone tell me what version of OPenGL d3 runs. I found some info on people hacking Angle to run openGL on 3d vision hardware. It seems promising, but is over my head. Here is the links. someday i hope to fly again in 3d on my 65 3d tv.

http://www.badlogicgames.com/wordpress/?p=1326
http://code.google.com/p/angle-fullscreen/
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=187898

its probably a pipe dream for me, but i thought i would ask.
vitosky
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re: Descent 3 in Anaglyph 3D and Shutter glasses Stereo 3D

Post by vitosky »

Little update a boy of Nvidia forums have tested descent 3 with old Nvidia drivers and work very well.
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?show ... scent&st=0