Aliaii

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Aliaii

Post by Behemoth »

Okay, just wanted to put this up because several people out there seem to think theres a player out there called :
byhemoth
This is one of many aliases i use in game, and usually when i use one it's just my name spelled differently, not a different player or someone trying to rip off from my name.
with that said, perhaps others would like to take this chance to share some aliases they use as well?
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Mine are all obviously me as well:

Foil
Phoil
FoilTanker
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

I used to have many when i played more often, but today, I simply use CDN_Merlin. No point in hiding.
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

I never used an alias. Never saw the point.

Bettina
deathbeam
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by deathbeam »

I play as many different handles at different times, including \"LazerBlade\",
\"[BOZ]king\", \"d3thb3am\", and Jim.
Cpt. Zaphod B.
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Cpt. Zaphod B. »

My one and only is - um, will be, once I actually manage to go multiplayer - Cpt_Zaph
Anyone other than Cpt_Zaph will not be me unless I say it is.
Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Burlyman »

Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

I have far more than I can list here. I enjoy making up characters and I sometimes make an alias in order to develop a character for something I will be writing (for example, for the planned Pumo Mines novel). I guess I have wierd psychology... I do this because it works.

Of course, with a lot of my aliases I don't particularly want people to know who I am because I'm supposed to be a fictional character (or I want to make them solve riddles until they find out).
It's no big deal if you find out in-game, but posting them here takes all the fun out of that. (And as far as I know, so far Foil and Thomas are the only ones who have cracked the code). I list a couple of them in my PD.net profile, and there's one that I use to annoy Geordon (payback for his harrassing everyone else including me).

I will say that I've got a couple of kills on byhemoth and behemyth (I like the implications of that second one =D) and I was completely surprised whenever I did it.
D.Cent
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by D.Cent »

I use aliases for different configurations:

D.Cent - normal player
Diss-Cent - for Dissent D3
D.Cent@Subway - for Subway Dancer
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Behemoth »

Alter-Fox wrote:I like the implications of that second one =D) and I was completely surprised whenever I did it.
Heh, most people like that one too.

And neo, people got the point so what was that for
D3Alien
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by D3Alien »

If I play again you will never be sure who I am. :twisted:
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

IMO, people who want to play guess-who-I-am games and enjoy hiding behind an alias... aren't really focused on the gameplay. 8)

Give me someone willing to put themselves and their name out on the line.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

I started using aliases when 3-5 people would quit a game immediately after I joined.
Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Burlyman »

Behemoth wrote:
Alter-Fox wrote:I like the implications of that second one =D) and I was completely surprised whenever I did it.
Heh, most people like that one too.

And neo, people got the point so what was that for
for fun :)
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Behemoth »

Wise person wrote:I started using aliases when 3-5 people would quit a game immediately after I joined.
Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Burlyman »

a 'wyrd' to the wise wrote:I started using aliases when 2 or 3 people would join a game I was playing in just to harass me.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Re:

Post by Alter-Fox »

Foil wrote:IMO, people who want to play guess-who-I-am games and enjoy hiding behind an alias... aren't really focused on the gameplay. 8)

Give me someone willing to put themselves and their name out on the line.
I have a new one, but now you're going to have to figure it out too... I was going to say what it is but then I saw this :twisted:
I also have an entire clan that's just me now.
It seems there are 2 that I tend to use more than any others though.
And then of course there's Pyrax (though I'm not the only Pyrax... there are "3" of us -- we planned it as a one time joke but then we got too many ideas and so we're going to do it again.)
Ship's cat, MPSV Iberia: beware of cat.
Beware my original music, at http://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden.
Neo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re: Aliaii

Post by Neo »

actually, the people who play "guess-who-I-am" games are the people who actually care about who's wh00ping their butts and won't stop pestering them about their REAL fake Internet name.
Zero, Behemoth, FOIL, Terminal, Neo. The greatest pilots in the universe. :P
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

Neo wrote:...people who actually care about who's wh00ping their butts and won't stop pestering them about their REAL fake Internet name.
Nicely put.
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

Honestly i don't put any thought into em, even when i do use a real alias people still know who it is, and if they don't they just don't play enough to know me by how i play which matters most.
Neo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Neo »

Yeah, all those butt nuggets love to brag about how they supposedly know every alias and about how astute they are, when the reality is they only know if I make it known. Not to mention they only know about 5% of all the ones I've ever used. :)
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

I'll say it again:

If you're serious about playing, put your identity on the line.

I do. All the top active players (e.g. Behe, DT, Ryu, etc.) do. All the players I highly respect do.

A pilot hiding behind an alias just tells me they don't want to risk their identity if they lose.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Foil wrote:A pilot hiding behind an alias just tells me they don't want to risk their identity if they lose.
That sounds like me. :P
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-★ ·:*¨༺꧁༺ :E ༻꧂༻¨*:·.★-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

Foil wrote:A pilot hiding behind an alias just tells me they don't want to risk their identity if they lose.
That's the only reason you can think of?

There are a number of people who, if they enter a game using a known alias, risk having other people harass them (due to past disagreement or whatever), or having other people incessantly bother them with questions, or having other people leave because they heard so-and-so is a hax or so-and-so is way too good. Going by an unknown name is a way to simply play the game without having to worry about extracurricular annoyances.

I like to know who I'm playing against, but really, it's not my business. If someone doesn't want me to know who they are, that's their right -- as long as they behave themselves, I don't care.
Izchak says: 'slow down. Think clearly.'
April Fools Day is the one day of the year that people critically evaluate news articles before accepting them as true.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Lothar wrote:
That's the only reason you can think of?
Okay, I'll grant that there are other reasons.

Honestly, though, I think all the reasons boil down to being afraid to put one's identity out there. Whether it's because they want to avoid harassment, or avoid hacker accusations, or avoid the shame of losing. It's all an avoidance tactic, and I'm sorry, but I think it's lame.

[And before anyone suggests it: Yes, I've been harassed. Yes, I've been accused of being a hacker. Yes, I've been bothered by incessant questions, etc. I just don't think that's reason enough to hide behind an alias.]
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

I should probably clarify:

I'm not talking about people who are flying an alias, but will tell you who they are.

I'm talking about people who don't want to put their identity out there, or want to play inane "guess who I am" games.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

There are also drawbacks while playing under an unknown name…

Other players get credit when you are whoopin on somebody.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

Foil wrote: If you're serious about playing...
Where's the fun in being serious? Seriously. My real life is too serious. I use games as time to not be serious.
Foil wrote: I should probably clarify:

I'm not talking about people who are flying an alias, but will tell you who they are.

I'm talking about people who don't want to put their identity out there, or want to play inane "guess who I am" games.
With some of my aliases I will tell everyone who I am, sometimes I want to be undercover (maybe I'm making up another personality or character for a book that someone else wants me to keep secret). Sometimes my ADHD medication has worn off and I'm not comfortable letting people see what that's like (in other games there are people who think I'm drunk because of my ADHD -- I've never touched alcohol. For my part I always give people the benefit of the doubt and assume ADHD because it's not so uncommon, and because of that experience).
I never said I play "guess who I am" games, only that I don't have a problem when someone actually does figure it out. It's part of the fun.
I know you're not talking about me in specific, but you are talking about me in general.
For the record I never said I play "guess who I am games" -- only that it's not a problem for me if someone does figure it out. I don't purposefully give people hints or anything like that. Sometimes if I'm feeling really playful I might make several pilots and keep joining one game to see if anyone realizes it's the same person -- but that's so rare I've only done it once since I started playing.
Lothar wrote:There are a number of people who, if they enter a game using a known alias, risk having other people harass them (due to past disagreement or whatever), or having other people incessantly bother them with questions, or having other people leave because they heard so-and-so is a hax or so-and-so is way too good. Going by an unknown name is a way to simply play the game without having to worry about extracurricular annoyances.
I get this even when I use an alias.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

Alter-Fox wrote:
Foil wrote: If you're serious about playing...
Where's the fun in being serious? Seriously. My real life is too serious. I use games as time to not be serious.
Foil wrote: I should probably clarify:

With some of my aliases I will tell everyone who I am, sometimes I want to be undercover (maybe I'm making up another personality or character for a book that someone else wants me to keep secret). Sometimes my ADHD medication has worn off and I'm not comfortable letting people see what that's like (in other games there are people who think I'm drunk because of my ADHD -- I've never touched alcohol. For my part I always give people the benefit of the doubt and assume ADHD because it's not so uncommon, and because of that experience).
I never said I play "guess who I am" games, only that I don't have a problem when someone actually does figure it out. It's part of the fun.
I know you're not talking about me in specific, but you are talking about me in general.
For the record I never said I play "guess who I am games" -- only that it's not a problem for me if someone does figure it out. I don't purposefully give people hints or anything like that. Sometimes if I'm feeling really playful I might make several pilots and keep joining one game to see if anyone realizes it's the same person -- but that's so rare I've only done it once since I started playing.
Lothar wrote:There are a number of people who, if they enter a game using a known alias, risk having other people harass them (due to past disagreement or whatever), or having other people incessantly bother them with questions, or having other people leave because they heard so-and-so is a hax or so-and-so is way too good. Going by an unknown name is a way to simply play the game without having to worry about extracurricular annoyances.
I get this even when I use an alias.
And like you pointed out, Lothar, even if it's not an "alias" people still don't know who you are (it's the internet).
Zero!
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Zero! »

I could never wrap my head around why anyone would think an alias is lame, even if someone did use an alias to hide their identity, WHO THE HELL CARES. Like knowing who it is is gonna affect the physics of the game or somthin. Alias or not im still gonna try to blow up your ship

Personally i play around with aliases cuz i get bored with my name sometimes and like to think of silly or clever names cuz its fun.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

Alter-Fox wrote:And like you pointed out, Lothar, even if it's not an "alias" people still don't know who you are (it's the internet).
People who know me on the internet have a pretty good idea of who I am.
Izchak says: 'slow down. Think clearly.'
April Fools Day is the one day of the year that people critically evaluate news articles before accepting them as true.
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

Truthfully, theres only a handful of players i've played with, that you have to worry about that problem foil :)
But i won't spoil the fun an give you their names :)
Theres also some players who will lose to you over and over and when they finally do win they automatically say 'gg' and leave LOL.
Neo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Neo »

Hey, at least he didn't /ragequit. :)
Zero! wrote:I could never wrap my head around why anyone would think an alias is lame, even if someone did use an alias to hide their identity, WHO THE HELL CARES. Like knowing who it is is gonna affect the physics of the game or somthin. Alias or not im still gonna try to blow up your ship

Personally i play around with aliases cuz i get bored with my name sometimes and like to think of silly or clever names cuz its fun.
Dayum... even Zero can see that you humans take gaming too seriously. -.-

People on the Internet don't know me, and giving them my REAL fake Internet name™ isn't going to fix anything.

Real fake Internet name is © Vander. All rights reserved.
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

did you put a tm on that because thewhat came up with it?
Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Burlyman »

Read the fine print <3
--Neo, the fourth greatest pilot in the universe
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Okay, I was clearly making too big a deal of this in my previous posts.

I still believe name-games are lame. However, I see that it's even more lame of me to rant about it.

You guys will always find me in the mines as some variation of "Foil" (e.g. "Phoil"). 8)
Fiend
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Fiend »

Beer_Fiend
DescentFiend
Dr.Bong
EaturLunch
Fiend
Fiend!
Fusion2Ass