Psychopath attacks congresswoman

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Psychopath attacks congresswoman

Post by Nightshade »

A certified wacko shot up a congresswoman's public meeting, killing a sitting judge and a 9-year old boy.

It appears this guy was a supposed tea-party supporter of some kind, though way off the deep end.

He posted:
\"Hello, my name is Jared Lee Loughner,\" one of the videos says, in words appearing on the screen. \"This video is my introduction to you! My favorite activity is conscience dreaming; the greatest inspiration for my political business information. Some of you don't dream - sadly.\"

The video, posted Dec. 15, later turns more political.

\"The majority of citizens in the united states of America have never read the united states of America's constitution. You don't have to accept the federalist laws,\" the video's titles say. \"In conclusion, reading the second United States constitution, I can't trust the current government because of the ratifications: the government is implying mind control and brainwash on the people by controlling grammar. No! I won't pay debt with a currency that's not backed by gold and silver! No! I won't trust in god!\"

Arizona Rep. Gabrielle Giffords was among the people critically wounded in the shooting at a public event in Tucson, and several people were killed, including a federal judge and a 9-year-old boy.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/01/08/sh ... z1AUICfjM7

Although this was a tragic event created by a mass-murdering bastard, this may be used against the \"tea party\" movement by the government. This is exactly the moment that Janet Napolitano and her associates have been waiting for.
"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - Mao Zedong
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Well now, the shoe's on the other foot. All the righties have been droning on about all those hateful lefties attacking people they don't agree with, all the while ignoring their own crazy fringe element.

There's another bit of terrorism that's been going on against the U.S. government recently as well. Maybe the Tea Party is expressing their Second Amendment Rights.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/ja ... plosion-us
Heretic
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral
Location: Why no Krom I didn't know you can have 100 characters in this box.

Post by Heretic »

Nice TC you already have the right wing convicted when the FBI has yet to identify a suspect or make any arrests in the bombings.

TB I don't think a person in the tea party would have favorite books such as \"Mein Kampf\" and the \"Communist Manifesto\" Where do you find in that article he supported the tea party .
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

He's clearly a murderous nut- but he'll be used by the government against the Tea Party. Just watch.
null0010
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by null0010 »

So a man who may be affiliated with the Tea Party who shoots people is just a \"certified wacko,\" and his connection with political extremist groups means nothing.

Double standard? :roll:
Fear is the engine that destroys freedom.
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Bet51987 »

Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

\"When you look at unbalanced people, how they respond to the vitriol that comes out of certain mouths about tearing down the government. The anger, the hatred, the bigotry that goes on in this country is getting to be outrageous,\" the sheriff said. \"And unfortunately, Arizona I think has become the capital. We have become the mecca for prejudice and bigotry.\"
The sheriff should be ashamed of himself for using a tragic incident to put forward a political play. That is just WRONG.
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

Interesting. It seems the shooter was a \"left wing fanatic\" described by his own classmate:

http://atlasshrugs2000.typepad.com/atla ... liber.html

Maybe he wasn't a \"tea partier.\"
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

That guy was a member of the completely-crazy-as-hell-club and once you join that one you don't belong to anything else!
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

From what I've heard from the admittedly shoddy evidence available, he believes in crazy left and crazy right ideas. I think Will is right with this one--he's just plain crazy.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

Why is he a member of the Tea Party again Thunderbunny? Why is this thread political again?

Or can we just talk about crazy people now, without having to make this thread spuriously political. Coz putting forward a political play would be just WRONG. right Thunderbunny?
*facepalm*
ThunderBunny wrote:

"When you look at unbalanced people, how they respond to the vitriol that comes out of certain mouths about tearing down the government. The anger, the hatred, the bigotry that goes on in this country is getting to be outrageous," the sheriff said. "And unfortunately, Arizona I think has become the capital. We have become the mecca for prejudice and bigotry."
The sheriff should be ashamed of himself for using a tragic incident to put forward a political play. That is just WRONG.
And yet you made a political thread about it all the same, which makes you a staggeringly huge hypocrite doesn't it.
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Re:

Post by CUDA »

tunnelcat wrote:Well now, the shoe's on the other foot. All the righties have been droning on about all those hateful lefties attacking people they don't agree with, all the while ignoring their own crazy fringe element.
it's people like you who turn into people like this shooter, your lack of ability to think or reason for yourself is astounding and dangerous,
"maybe" this guy is a right winger, that has yet to be proven. but you seem to have already made up your mind. sad really. PLUS you post a link to a website about a bombing in DC, which NO WHERE in the article does it mention a name OR a suspect and yet you somehow MIRACULOUSLY link it to the right wing. :roll:
And then right on cue as if it was planned, your protoge' shows up, and somehow out of left field tries to link this guy with Sarah Palin and healthcare reform. And then Disturbingly posts a link from a left wing site with a pic of someone that "might" be Palin with a gun WTF????? you both should be ashamed of yourselves. you both hate as much as this man did. you just dont have the courage to pull the trigger.
The man was a sick individual and nothing more. it doesnt matter if he voted "D" or "R"

I'm even shocked I'm saying this but for the first time ever I agree with roid. TB should be embarrassed by making this a political thread
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

well.... i can understand why anyone posting in this thread would assume the thread is about politics, given ThunderBunny's original post he's kindof set the scene for everyone.

All i'm really amazed at here is the hypocritical audacity of Thunderbunny to accuse the Sheriff of unnecessarily politicising the issue. Look in the mirror ThunderBunny!
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Avder »

ThunderBunny wrote:

"When you look at unbalanced people, how they respond to the vitriol that comes out of certain mouths about tearing down the government. The anger, the hatred, the bigotry that goes on in this country is getting to be outrageous," the sheriff said. "And unfortunately, Arizona I think has become the capital. We have become the mecca for prejudice and bigotry."
So, a call to tone the partisanship the ★■◆● down and try to unify, stope the hatemongering from both sides, is a political ploy? Seems like an elaborate paraphrasing of "cant we all just get along" to me.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Ummm...just where is it shown the shooter was a Tea Party advocate? Is it grounded in fact or is the mainstream media trying to turn the shooter into a tea party member?
Coming soon, a new push for gun control.
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Re:

Post by CUDA »

woodchip wrote:Ummm...just where is it shown the shooter was a Tea Party advocate?
it"s not. it's not even mentioned in the article at all. infact there are conflicting reports on him being both a RT winger and a LT winger it was just ASSumed by some members of this forum that since he shot a member of the DNC he must be a Tea Party member. in fact he sounds more like an Anarchist than anything else
"The majority of citizens in the united states of America have never read the united states of America's constitution. You don't have to accept the federalist laws," the video's titles say. "In conclusion, reading the second United States constitution, I can't trust the current government because of the ratifications: the government is implying mind control and brainwash on the people by controlling grammar. No! I won't pay debt with a currency that's not backed by gold and silver! No! I won't trust in god!"
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

Watch the videos themselves. That quote appears to be a very readable translation of the gibberish. It actually reads like a computer's attempt to mimic a semi-coherent human thought using all the wrong words.

[edit]
I guess that just happens to be the most intelligible part of the few videos.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

I noticed that SarahPac scrubbed their web page with the cross hairs on the Congressman image.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

Not quite intentional- the facts were fluid at the beginning and then the Sheriff in Arizona made his accusations. There was no telling what this murderers' ideas were other than to kill people, but rest assured that this incident will be used by the government against people that oppose its ideology.
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

An article about the news coverage:

http://pajamasmedia.com/michaelledeen/2 ... in-tucson/
null0010
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by null0010 »

I find it amusing how many of us are leaping towards the \"he was just a nut\" explanation. I wonder if it would be the same members saying that if this shooter were Muslim.
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Bet51987 »

Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Only in this lovely folder would a thread about a tragedy like this go straight to hell. Stay classy, guys.
null0010
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by null0010 »

tunnelcat wrote:I noticed that SarahPac scrubbed their web page with the cross hairs on the Congressman image.
http://www.pensitoreview.com/2011/01/08 ... s-website/
[RIP]Machete_Bug
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by [RIP]Machete_Bug »

Top Gun wrote:Only in this lovely folder would a thread about a tragedy like this go straight to hell. Stay classy, guys.
Amen, bro. It's pretty ghoulish how folks are so eager to take the actions of on obviously disturbed psychopath to make some kind of nonsensical political hay out of it. Never let a good crisis go to waste, I guess, even if it means being an insensitive d-bag.
Top Gun wrote:I find it amusing how many of us are leaping towards the "he was just a nut" explanation. I wonder if it would be the same members saying that if this shooter were Muslim.
You'd almost have some sort of point here if the guy in question fit the profile. Here we have the left wanting desperately to paint a guy who loved the Communist Manifesto as a tea partier. I suppose next we'll be blaming the Fort Hood shooting on Zionists. Jumping to conclusions may be a bad thing, but ignoring evidence to jump to junk conclusions is even worse.

And are we really talking about Sarah Palin drawing targets on political districts again. Seriously? Okay, you guys blame Palin for all this. And maybe I'll choose to blame Markos Moulitsas of the Daily Kos who also put a bullseye on Gifford during political primary season. Or maybe I'll choose not to be an idiot, and take simple metaphorical speech and graphics for what they are. You guys understand what a metaphor is, right? Yeah, so do most sane people. That's why no one dies on a football field when the coach tells them to go out and kill their opponents.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

rampant speculations and sugar rush induced conclusion jumps, oh my!
Heretic
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Heretic »

[RIP]Machete_Bug wrote:
Top Gun wrote:I find it amusing how many of us are leaping towards the "he was just a nut" explanation. I wonder if it would be the same members saying that if this shooter were Muslim.
Actually that's Null's quote. Even a Muslim that goes and blows himself and others up is just as much of a nut as this guy. No sane person would do these acts.
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re:

Post by Will Robinson »

null0010 wrote:I find it amusing how many of us are leaping towards the "he was just a nut" explanation. I wonder if it would be the same members saying that if this shooter were Muslim.
I'd like to get out front of your assertion and say I think islamofascists who blow people up are crazy -as-hell too!

And if we find out this Arizona nutbag is one of many who are all being transformed into murderous nutbags by their local church and there are many churches like that around the globe and the non-violent members of these church tacitly support their attacks and they have been preaching this kind of anti-social murderous theology for centuries then I say lets treat them just like the Muslims who fit this same description and are subjects of our concern!

There, do you feel better now? At least I am consistently non-PC when it comes to identifying and speaking out about obvious threats. But right now all we know is this guy is crazy-as-hell and I won't go all alarmist against the average crazy-but-not-crazy-as-hell people without at least the beginning of a trend becoming apparent. And I find it disgusting that you are so quick to foment hatred towards all crazy people and lump them into the same catagory as the crazy-as-hell muslims!! You sir are a bigot!
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Oh Gawd! We've got Fixed News out there saying the shooter is so far right around the political circle that he's really a vapid leftie! Nice, pin things on the left if you can't take the heat for your own fear mongering. THEN there's Dick Armey, babbling on the Sunday morning news shows that it's too bad a Congresswoman got shot in all this, but the fight must go on to destroy the government. What an certifiable nutcase!
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by CUDA »

tunnelcat wrote:Oh Gawd! We've got Fixed News out there saying the shooter is so far right around the political circle that he's really a vapid leftie! Nice, pin things on the left if you can't take the heat for your own fear mongering. THEN there's Dick Armey, babbling on the Sunday morning news shows that it's too bad a Congresswoman got shot in all this, but the fight must go on to destroy the government. What an certifiable nutcase!
you really have turned into a pathetic person TC. I re-read the article just to make sure PLUS I re-read all the other articles posted on Fox news. NO WHERE does it state that he is a right winger NO WHERE making stuff up because you've been called out and embarrassed for making an unfounded lie's against the right. doesnt suit you.
null0010
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by null0010 »

I'd like to see a source on any politcal label assigned to this guy, really.
Flatlander
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Flatlander »

woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by woodchip »

woodchip wrote:
Coming soon, a new push for gun control.
Carolyn McCarthy readies gun control bill
By SHIRA TOEPLITZ | 1/9/11 5:57 PM EST

"One of the fiercest gun-control advocates in Congress, Rep. Carolyn McCarthy (D-N.Y.), pounced on the shooting massacre in Tucson Sunday, promising to introduce legislation as soon as Monday."

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0111/47338.html
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

Politico Article wrote:Many said that people with a history of mental instability, like the alleged shooter, Jared Lee Loughner, should not be able to buy a gun — and no one should be able to buy stockpiles of ammunition used by the 22-year-old assailant.
Same Article - Illinois Rep. Mike Quigley wrote:“The ability to buy a weapon that fires hundreds of bullets in less than a minute,” said Quigley. “He had an additional magazine capability. That’s not what a hunter needs. That’s not what someone needs to defend their home. That’s what you use to hunt people.”
I'll stockpile 33-99 rounds on a bad day if I like, and I'll defend my home with as many bullets as possible, not as few.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

I wonder if this Mike Quigley guy will tell you all you need to defend your home is a .22 rimfire.
Heretic
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Heretic »

I wonder if Carolyn McCarthy knows that Gabrielle Giffords is known for being a vocal advocate of guns. Wonder if she also knows that Gabrielle Giffords owns more than one gun.
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by CUDA »

Rather, many on the American Left said the horror could be traced to the malign influence of American conservatives; members of the Tea Party; right-wing pundits Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck; former Alaska Governor Sarah Palin; and Fox News.That was the narrative of culpability spun in the immediate aftermath of the shootings by some leading liberal commentators and Democratic politicians -- despite warnings from religious leaders, lawyers, academics, ethicists, reporters and historians that such a rush to judgment only further deepens the partisan divide in America, and further poisons its discourse.

Within minutes after the attempted assassination of Giffords -- indeed, at a point when it was still erroneously believed in many quarters that she was dead, and the identity of her shooter was not publicly known -- some commentators,absent any credible evidence,ready busily laying blame for the atrocity in political terms.
Sound familiar TC + Bettina?
Giffords telling MSNBC: \"The way that (Palin) has it depicted, the crosshairs of a gun sight over our district ...When people do that, they've gotta realize there are consequences to that action.\"

Unnoted by Giffords then, or Krugman now, is the routine use of similar language and imagery by both parties in a culture obsessed with \"battleground\" states. Indeed, a nearly identical map, included in a Democratic Leadership Committee publication in 2004,

Learn to seek the truth before you parrot it.
Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Gooberman »

I think its too easy to try and lay this at the feet of Beck/Palin/FNC. Even if the Killer had FNC on 24/7, so what? People are allowed to be controversial on TV, it doesn't give license to shoot people.

That being said, if because of this Beck/Palin start choosing their words more carefully, well, that will have been the small amount of Good that has come from this. When something has tragic as a congresswoman getting shot in the head happens, it is time to take a step back. Things are too heated in this country.
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by snoopy »

Gooberman wrote:When something has tragic as a congresswoman getting shot in the head happens, it is time to take a step back. Things are too heated in this country.
Sometimes I wonder how long the country will continue to go before it splits into a number of independent states, because of this. We really need a unifying political figure who can bring the polarities back to the middle, and soon.