my city is currently flooding

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

my city is currently flooding

Post by roid »

heh.

also, how do i defend myself from zombies? They're probably next.
Gekko71
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Gekko71 »

...Gallows humour Roid?

Make sure you stay in the clear.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Chance of a lifetime to take pictures ! ;)
ImageImage
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

Been there a few times, tho I think your river is trying to 1-up our river. I hope not, because if our river tries to 1-up your river, Fargo could very well be wiped off the map.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

The videos I've seen of the sudden flash-flooding yesterday looked nothing short of brutal. You keep yourself high and dry down there.
dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by dissent »

Stay safe, roidy.
Gekko71
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Gekko71 »

Avder wrote:Been there a few times, tho I think your river is trying to 1-up our river. I hope not, because if our river tries to 1-up your river, Fargo could very well be wiped off the map.
Brisbane is the most populous and threatened city right now - but it's not just Brisbane that's going to flood Avder.

This rain system is tropical in origin and is dropping monsoonal rain all the way from Cape York to Tasmania.

If you wanted a Northern Hemisphere equivalent of how screwed up that is, imagine rainstorms that were tropical in origin that caused a combination of localised and widespread flooding starting in Havana in the south and ending in Toronto or Nova Scotia in the north - all over a stretch of land that stretches between Nashville and Norfolk. :(

The next person to dispute global warming on this board will be personally tracked down and punched in the nose by me, on behalf of 2,000,000 Brisbanites :P
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

I just wonder why it's Australia that's getting hit so hard and I'm concerned for everyone there -- especially because my family has some Aussie friends. It must be a heck of a time to grow up in (I don't know how old Roid is but I suspect late teens or young adult). You guys stay safe.
Gekko71
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Gekko71 »

Australia, and Queensland in particular, has always been prone to flooding - but NEVER this bad. It has been raining non stop for 17 days.

Check out his animation of how bad it might get - the river is supposed to peak at 5.5 meters (about 18 feet). This animation goes up to 7 meters. Let's hope it doesn't get that bad.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Re:

Post by Krom »

Gekko71 wrote:The next person to dispute global warming on this board will be personally tracked down and punched in the nose by me, on behalf of 2,000,000 Brisbanites :P
LIES! It has been super cold here since forever. :P (Actually last year was one of the warmest on record.)

Stay safe roid & co, the internet wouldn't be the same without you.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Re:

Post by Alter-Fox »

Gekko71 wrote:Australia, and Queensland in particular, has always been prone to flooding - but NEVER this bad. It has been raining non stop for 17 days.

Check out his animation of how bad it might get - the river is supposed to peak at 5.5 meters (about 18 feet). This animation goes up to 7 meters. Let's hope it doesn't get that bad.
That is scary. It must be because the continent itself is so close to sea level and so small (I mean, most of the Oceania continent is underwater). I don't know what else to say. I'm no good at empathy (doubly so online). Saying "That sounds terrible" would be underwhelming and make me look like an idiot, but that's honestly the best I can think of most of the time.
Krom wrote:Stay safe roid & co, the internet wouldn't be the same without you.
x2
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Man I feel for you Roid and everybody that is effected by the floods!

South Australia could use some of that rain but not that much!! :shock:

Take care and be safe!
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

The whole thing was started by a weak cyclone to the north a few weeks back, that didn't do any direct damage but it brought with it some monsoonal rains that just went mental. It's the tropical storm season, so cyclones are somewhat normal and expected. This is compounded by a strong current La Niña weather pattern which is taking moisture from all the way over in South America and dropping it on us in Australia (El Niño is the opposite, and has been causing the drought we've been having for the past 10+ years).
Yep that's right, we've been in a long drought until a little while ago - dams have been at really low levels and we've had water restictions. Now though the dams are at approx %185 capacity (!), and to prevent an overflow at %225 they have already been opening the floodgates quite wide.

The expected high water mark (~ 4am tomorrow morning) has been revised down from 5.5m to 5.2m. Not much of a drop, but it's something. Also today the sun was out all day! Which was a bit weird, as the flood waters still rising. But it's coz the flood is comming from inland, all of the rivers feed into the Brisbane river.
You guys might have seen mental footage of flash flooding at Toowoombah in the news, that's a few hundred KMs inland from me. It's crazy, coz Toowoombah is actually high up in a large ancient volcanic crater, it shouldn't be flooded at all! So much rain fell so fast in that crater... the water couldn't get out fast enough. Well anyway all of that flash flood water is now going through some other towns on the way (eg: Ipswich via it's river), and then comming into the Brisbane River was already pretty high from all this rain from everywhere. So yeah glug-glug our city floods.
Here's some epic videos of that Toowoombah flash flood a couple days ago.

ps: Alter-Fox i'm 29.
We had an epic flood like this back in 1974, then we built some more dams to protect the city. We never thought we'd ever have to deal with this again (the city has been full of 5 meter high markers on the sides of buildings ever since i've lived here "this is where the '74 flood water level was"). Don't worry guys i'm safe where i am (i live at ~15 meters elevation). This whole thing is just pretty epic. We're all ment to stay off the roads and stay home so I've been watching the TV footage from news helicopters. Whole areas of ground level buildings are completely submerged under angry brown water, you can drive a boat over them and not even know. The CBD (citycenter/downtown) is right on the waterfront, so is well effected and is completely cornered off by police since yesterday. And it's still going to get higher, and then stay there until Saturday!

Lots of surreal things are floating down the river. Broken away boat pontoons (complete with unmanned yachts still moored, along for the ride). Even a large piece of a floating riverside cafe lol, complete with tables and chairs still nearly setup. The army is in they are wondering if they should blow up (!) some of the bigger historic boats, incase they break their moorings and destroy a bridge.
Gekko71 wrote:The next person to dispute global warming on this board will be personally tracked down and punched in the nose by me, on behalf of 2,000,000 Brisbanites :P
well... yes and no. Now don't read this wrong, i AM an anthropomorphic global warming proponent. But the actual climate science suggests that although global warming will make the strongest storms even stronger, the total number of storms will actually be DECREASED by global warming. I only just learned of this fact recently and was rather surprised myself.
Source: "11. Climate Change -- Hurricanes, atolls and coral, by potholer54" - This guy generally spends his time debunking globalwarming skeptics, this isn't some nutter he's truthworthy.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Roid, you may not be as safe as you think you are. From what I hear poisonous snakes and large crocs may be on the prowl so don't think going for a wade is a god way to cool of. Also what is the crime like? New Orleans is a prime example of how a flooded city can get ugly. Anywho, stay as safe as you can.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Heh, he's an Aussie, he knows about poisonous critters ;)

Pics.
ImageImage
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

Here are some pictures i took a few days ago at this nearby park on my bike, it's in a low lying area, and has it's own creek.
(ps: that cliff was already eroded like that and fenced off beforehand). I was mainly trying to capture the reeds wrapped around everything, the level seems quite high - about head height where i was standing. Looks like the creek came up 4-5 meters over the cliff and over the fence.
Strangely although the water level in these pics is normal, the Brisbane river (a few kms south) was actually in the peak of the flood at the time.
This creek flooded separately, probably localised.

Image Image Image Image

Woody there has been little looting (10 ppl arrested total, from a city of millions). From that i've heard of a couple of ppl tried to steal a boat, and a few were arrested on the river mouth mud banks going through the accumulated settled trash (i didn't even know that was illegal heh).

Once sewage treatment plants get inundated, it joins the flood waters, so ew. I'm more worried about disease than snakes and crocs, wading through flood waters should be avoided unless necessary. Particularly because the mud is super slippery (a friend fell and dislocated his shoulder yesterday), and you may kick sharp things hidden in the murky water. All resulting wounds can easily get infected.

Flood waters in Brisbane city are down pretty low now, there's a lot of mud in streets, businesses, homes, what a mess. City cleanup time.
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

Good to see you posting, I take it to mean that you are ok!

Sorry the DBB was down!