Multiplayer Issues

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Cpt. Zaphod B.
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Multiplayer Issues

Post by Cpt. Zaphod B. »

Alright, here's one for you. Yesterday, I attempted, through the help of the Rangers, to first host, then join, a Descent multiplayer game, both of which failed with the error \"Host Not Responding\" or some 3 word phrase like that. Also following the Ranger's exact instructions, I also failed to connect to my router to change settings to get it to work. Eventually we gave up, the Rangers went back to their game and I went into WWII in CoHO.

Today, I reset my router (this is an Apple Airport, btw. The most user friendly, but not the most configurable it seems) and using the Airport Configuration Utility I had downloaded yesterday and failed to connect with, I was able to access the router settings. (On a side note, this is when I decided to set up WPA network security, since it was unsecured before.)

So, here's my question. What settings would I possibly have to change in order to get Descent multiplayer working? This includes port mapping if necessary.

To ensure it's not the firewall, I allowed everything Descent related to bypass the firewall today. There's a possibility that could've caused problems before, and I intend to test it tomorrow. Nonetheless, any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

I take it you are using Rebirth and the router is an Apple Airport Extreme?

If this is this case? You'd open UDP-Port 42424 in the router.

Example to use for mapping the port/s.