Tablet PC or iPad?

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Tablet PC or iPad?

Tablet PC
41%
iPad
No votes
Either one
6%
Neither
53%

Total votes: 17
SirWinner
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Tablet PC or iPad?

Post by SirWinner »

As for me, I'd choose a Tablet PC because everything that I work on is Windows Based and all my Computer Gaming is Windows Based.

Not knocking the iPad... it isn't something that I'd buy... now if someone gave me one free... that would be fine.

What's your opinion?

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopp ... _can_serie (url too long)

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/s ... amily/ipad

8)
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

let me break it down to you like this:

with the iPad, you get a well-built unit, a fancy screen and a solid touch interface.

but you're giving apple complete and total control over what you install on it.

If your intentions is to watch and share media, you'd be fine with the ipad. But for anything else, including installing programs you select, you're better off with a tablet pc.
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

Tablet PC, but don't run M$; run Linux.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

windows will work just fine for a tablet pc.
Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Thenior »

Ferno wrote:windows will work just fine for a tablet pc.

Sometimes you say the stupidest things... no duh windows works fine on a tablet. Linux does too.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

the guy's over 50 and has used windows all his life. You guys really expect he's just going to up and learn linux for one machine?

come on, use your brain for once.
dwlpunk
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by dwlpunk »

i have a 7\" apad android 2.1 tablet and i love it. runs everything fine and its great for browsing the internet, music, and youtubing around the house. it's not as fast as the ipad obviously but i have a home pc for intensive apps and games, and an android phone for my communication and navigational needs. i couldn't be happier with it.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Linux on a tablet is probably a recipe for tearing your hair out at this stage (I'd be surprised if the UI is anywhere near ready for touch-only interfaces). If you want free, Android is where it's at these days.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

My understanding reading this thread was that it wasn't just advice for SirWinner, as it seems that he's already made up his mind and just wanted our opinion on what we would prefer. But in that case, I'm not really sure where Linux is with tablets, as I despise the devices in general. I think Ubuntu has something planned for their next release, but it will probably be half-baked until next release + 1. Android (which is modified Linux) is slick, but I don't think there is an official x86 version, so your best best with this route would be to buy an ARM tablet with Android pre-installed. The iPad is slick too, but nothing makes up for the lack of freedom in installing and writing software for it. And Windows is Windows... everyone already knows what it is and has an opinion on it, so I will be silent. ;)
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

indeed jeff. the point of this thread is to help him out.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

x2 to Jeff

Also, if the primary reason for buying an iPad is to browse the net with a multi-touch interface check out some of the other tablets. Preferably I'd get something that lets me change the OS.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

installing linux is like piercing your tongue. it'll impress your friends, but it's stupid and painful. and people without pierced tongues will laugh at you when you complain about it.
Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Burlyman »

Thenior wrote:Sometimes you say the stupidest things... no duh windows works fine on a tablet. Linux does too.
I don't mean to take sides with the DBB Stoner here, but shouldn't you be sucker punching someone else? Ferno was replying to something someone else said. Just because Ferno was arrested by the MIB, doesn't necessarily mean he's a scumbag. :) Don't hold it against him! ^_~

The 'Neithers' are winning the poll so far. :P
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Re:

Post by Isaac »

Ferno wrote:installing linux is like piercing your tongue. it'll impress your friends, but it's stupid and painful.
I'm about as "stupid" as they get.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Jeff250 »

Ferno wrote:installing linux is like piercing your tongue. it'll impress your friends, but it's stupid and painful.
Why would you install Linux to impress your friends? I use it to write code.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Presumably not on a tablet.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

Like I said, I despise the devices in general. ;)
SirWinner
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by SirWinner »

Interesting opinions and discussion on this subject.

---

Wasn't thinking about Linux at all... funny isn't it?

---

Appliances such as the iPad are fine.

Real Computing Power on the Tablet PC's running Windows works much better for me.

---

My cell phone is a cell phone only to me.

Don't browse the web with it.

Screen is too damn small. (1.25 inches by 1.75 inches) Not to mention the font is way too too small for me.

Don't text message... Horrible to have to press a key 3 times just to send the letter \"C\"... as well as cell phone text messages are too dern short too.

Prefer not to send and receive images via a cell phone.

Give me an IBM PC Compatible to send and receive my e-mails... with or without attachments such as pictures.

---

At least the Apple iPad is a step in the right direction if one were to want to browse the internet, etc.

:)
Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Thenior »

Burlyman wrote:
Thenior wrote:Sometimes you say the stupidest things... no duh windows works fine on a tablet. Linux does too.
I don't mean to take sides with the DBB Stoner here, but shouldn't you be sucker punching someone else? Ferno was replying to something someone else said. Just because Ferno was arrested by the MIB, doesn't necessarily mean he's a scumbag. :) Don't hold it against him! ^_~

The 'Neithers' are winning the poll so far. :P
lol... honestly, I was having a crappy day at work, and decided to be an ass to Ferno.
Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Burlyman »

You say that like it's a bad thing. =P
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

Well the reply was originally directed at me, and I wasn't particularly bothered.

I guess the linux comment was somewhat tongue in cheek.

I'm not a fan of big monster popular companies telling me how to use my machines, so I'd tend to consider apple, windows, and android all bad options.

Android is looking good these days, I'd recommend that you give something like the galaxy tab a good look and see what you think.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

And Canonical is suppose to have an Ubuntu made for tablet PCs sometime soon; another reason to get a Galaxy. /rumor
VonVulcan
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by VonVulcan »

Ferno wrote:installing linux is like piercing your tongue. it'll impress your friends, but it's stupid and painful. and people without pierced tongues will laugh at you when you complain about it.
Love that post Ferno, gotta be the best thing I have ever seen you write! :)
(20:12) STRESSTEST: Im actually innocent this time
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by snoopy »

VonVulcan wrote:
Ferno wrote:installing linux is like piercing your tongue. it'll impress your friends, but it's stupid and painful. and people without pierced tongues will laugh at you when you complain about it.
Love that post Ferno, gotta be the best thing I have ever seen you write! :)
Except that my friends aren't impressed by my usage of linux.
Ferno

Re:

Post by Ferno »

Thenior wrote:lol... honestly, I was having a crappy day at work, and decided to be an ass to Ferno.
and got smacked for it. ;)

and snoopy: apple now is a monster company that absolutely loves telling you what you can and can't run on THEIR* machines

*yours actually since you paid the money to buy and maintain it. but apple doesn't see it that way.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Jeff250 »

snoopy wrote:Except that my friends aren't impressed by my usage of linux.
Linux gets me all the chicks at the parties.
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by snoopy »

Ferno wrote:
Thenior wrote:lol... honestly, I was having a crappy day at work, and decided to be an ass to Ferno.
and got smacked for it. ;)

and snoopy: apple now is a monster company that absolutely loves telling you what you can and can't run on THEIR* machines

*yours actually since you paid the money to buy and maintain it. but apple doesn't see it that way.
My point exactly. That's why they're the worst of the lot.... it baffles me how the ipads and ipods and iphones are flying off the shelves with their policies.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Snoopy, Apple is popular because if it's misinterpreted message, which is making products with little to no learning curve. It's not accurate, but I believe it's the most computer illiterate people that buy all those things, in hope they won't have to use their brains. The second the want to \"break the rules\" of their Apple prison they start asking the non-Apple users for help...

My mother wanted an iPod, but I convinced her to read about other audio file players and she found a Sandisk smaller alternative with more features and no format restrictions.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

That was a good one Ferno, I'll have to remember that.

Apple is probably the most dangerous entity on earth when it comes to threats against the free and open nature of the internet.

I've been using the same sandisk MP3 player for something like 4 years now, although I use rockbox on it instead of the default firmware which is too clunky.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Re:

Post by Isaac »

Krom wrote:Apple is probably the most dangerous entity on earth when it comes to threats against the free and open nature of the internet.
I thought it was freaked out Windows users, who want the GOP and the telecoms to protect them from viruses. :P
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

Tablets won't be comparable to a desktop machine in processing power, regardless of manufacturer.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Re:

Post by Isaac »

fliptw wrote:Tablets won't be comparable to a desktop machine in processing power, regardless of manufacturer.
solution:
cloud computing
Ferno

Re:

Post by Ferno »

snoopy wrote:My point exactly. That's why they're the worst of the lot.... it baffles me how the ipads and ipods and iphones are flying off the shelves with their policies.
I know exactly why the ipods and ipads are selling like they are. They've been told that if they buy them, they will be viewed as better than everyone around them.

Apple's marketing department is scary good at what they do.
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by snoopy »

Ferno wrote:
snoopy wrote:My point exactly. That's why they're the worst of the lot.... it baffles me how the ipads and ipods and iphones are flying off the shelves with their policies.
I know exactly why the ipods and ipads are selling like they are. They've been told that if they buy them, they will be viewed as better than everyone around them.

Apple's marketing department is scary good at what they do.
I agree. Let me re-phrase: I'm amazed that people haven't wised-up yet.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

It probably won't happen because it removes the incentive of one-upping another, feeling superior and it would cause a blow to their inflated ego.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

I love this thread.
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

If you want an appliance, buy an Ipad.
If you want a computer, buy anything else.
Why doesn't it work?
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by roid »

Xamindar wrote:If you want an appliance, buy an Ipad.
If you want a computer, buy anything else.
how do i send emails with this banana? :(
i think i'm just gonna eat it.
stupid fruit