DescentBB Upgrade to PHPBB3 Bugs

For questions, special requests, or any complaints concerning the Descent BB.

Moderators: Krom, Lothar, Richard Cranium, KoolBear

Richard Cranium
DBB Supporter
DBB Supporter

DescentBB Upgrade to PHPBB3 Bugs

Post by Richard Cranium »

List them here so we can start addressing them.

Edited KoolBear
Please provide at least three details ...

1 Theme Name
2 Browser
3 description of problem/issue/opportunity a screen shot is OK if it's difficult to describe
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

I can tell you ahead of time some issues that will have to be fixed once the conversion is complete:

Links to the off site project home pages (eg D2X-XL/DXX) in the main index will need to be updated and converted from html to bbcode, the link to the usergroup control panel in the NHB description will have to be updated.

All forum automatic pruning settings will have to be fixed (they default to automatically deleting old polls).

Custom colors / text effects in the user ranks/titles will have to be converted from html to bbcode.

The converter globally disables avatars by default, they will have to be re-enabled (assuming they were copied correctly during the conversion).
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Re: DescentBB Upgrade to PHPBB3 Bugs

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

In the Announcement forum. Quoting and smilies are disabled.

The main index board - at the bottom. The "locked" icon is stretched.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

The Miner Wars “More Info” linkie is brokie, on the Index page.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Spidey wrote:The Miner Wars “More Info” linkie is brokie, on the Index page.
Fixed.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

Aus-RED-5 wrote:In the Announcement forum. Quoting and smilies are disabled.
Should be fixed.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

It looks like text may have been escaped with backslashes one too many times in the conversion process, including backslashes and double quotes, although single quotes seem fine. It would probably take a script to go through all topic titles and posts and unescape them, assuming that no one has intentionally typed backslash backslash or backslash double quote since the conversion.

I also just noticed that links aren't a nice cyan color or something else to distinguish them from normal text. The words "backslashes" and "double quotes" above in the first sentence link to example posts.
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Thanks Krom :)
Prepare for DESCENT!
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

Jeff250 wrote:It looks like text may have been escaped with backslashes one too many times in the conversion process...
This also happened on the test conversions I ran ahead of time. I'll look in to it, but I wouldn't hold my breath for a fix on it. Too much risk of side effects when you churn through the database that much.
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

No bugs... just observations.

- The text seems small overall. I have to change my windows 7 zoom level to 125%. No biggie for me.

- Posts blend together too much, like there should be a separator line.

- Images in signatures take up a lot of space and should be turned off.
Ryujin
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Ryujin »

Bet51987 wrote:No bugs... just observations.

- The text seems small overall. I have to change my windows 7 zoom level to 125%. No biggie for me.

All good points except signatures. I'm glad they're back! Let the user turn them off if they don't want them.

The posts do tend to blend together as I just hit quote on the wrong post.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

You can turn off the display of signatures in your user control panel.
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

It depends on what DBB theme you use.
The default DBB theme, the texts are a good size, but the DBB D3 version. They seem smaller.
The DBB green theme, the quote box is black (which I like) but the DBB D3's theme, the quot box is white. :?

I like sigs, but I feel we should have a rule regarding images in them. You just know someone will come along and make some HUGE 1920x1080 image on purpose to be annoying.
Maybe a size limit, no images or maybe text only sigs?
Prepare for DESCENT!
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

That's what I meant. The signatures are great and I want to keep mine but images in signatures are awful. They take up way too much space. I don't know if I can turn just the images off or not.

Bee
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

edit edit:
never mind. I have no idea what I'm talking about...
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Here is a bug, it’s the same one I was getting with the last board.

Every time I edit my profile…all topics become marked “watch this topic”. Sorry I can’t pin down which change caused this, because I did a few all at once.

The last time I updated my profile I got e-mails for months…I see now that all topics are again marked “watch”…I changed the most recent ones back to “stop watching” but there are like 22 more pages to do.

I do believe I have cookies disabled on this site, if that means anything.

Theme…just changed to green
IE
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

Aus-RED-5 wrote:In the Announcement forum. Quoting and smilies are disabled.

The main index board - at the bottom. The "locked" icon is stretched.
" The "locked" icon is stretched" should be FIXED in DescentBB theme
Jeff250 wrote:I also just noticed that links aren't a nice cyan color or something else to distinguish them from normal text. The words "backslashes" and "double quotes" above in the first sentence link to example posts.
should be FIXED in DescentBB theme
Bet51987 wrote:No bugs... just observations.
small text - should be FIXED in DescentBB theme
post blend together - should be FIXED in DescentBB theme
images in signatures - well I'm not sure that we can do anything, but I will look into it.
Aus-RED-5 wrote:It depends on what DBB theme you use.
The default DBB theme, the texts are a good size, but the DBB D3 version. They seem smaller.
The DBB green theme, the quote box is black (which I like) but the DBB D3's theme, the quot box is white. :?

I like sigs, but I feel we should have a rule regarding images in them. You just know someone will come along and make some HUGE 1920x1080 image on purpose to be annoying.
Maybe a size limit, no images or maybe text only sigs?
I didn't intend for the other DBB themes to be released yet "my bad" I will get back to them after I get the main theme straightened out, then it will be much easier for me to work on the other DBBthemes
We will discuss the signatures later this isn't the time. I need to focus on correcting display/theme issues, personal desires and likes can be addressed later.
Spidey wrote: I do believe I have cookies disabled on this site, if that means anything.
Enable cookies then we'll discuss thus issue, ok...
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

KB, from memory, links where underlined. example: www.descentbb.net or DescentBB

This also helped with distinguish them from normal text. ;)
Prepare for DESCENT!
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

Aus-RED-5 wrote:KB, from memory, links where underlined. example: www.descentbb.net or DescentBB

This also helped with distinguish them from normal text. ;)
Sorry about the underlines I know they are gone and they won't be back but I did adjust the shades for links/active/visited and hover the lighter colors are links when you hover over them they turn green "like the date/time color" I could adjust them more if we need more contrast. should be should be FIXED in DescentBB theme
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

I just checked, cookies are enabled on this machine. (my other more secure machine has all cookies blocked)

The problem may relate to something that was happening on the last board…

Whenever I went into my profile page, the control for marking all topics to be watched was always ticked, if I didn’t uncheck that box when I saved my profile…I was screwed. Then since there was no “unmark all topics to be watched” I always had to change each one after getting the e-mail for any replies.

Watch this topic, was at the bottom of each topic.

This problem may have been only with my profile for some reason, because I never heard anybody else mention this problem, and it may have ported over from the other board.

Put this on the bottom of your priority list for now, and spend your time taking care of the board in regards to all members.

I can wait.
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

Spidey wrote:I just checked, cookies are enabled on this machine. (my other more secure machine has all cookies blocked)

The problem may relate to something that was happening on the last board…

Whenever I went into my profile page, the control for marking all topics to be watched was always ticked, if I didn’t uncheck that box when I saved my profile…I was screwed. Then since there was no “unmark all topics to be watched” I always had to change each one after getting the e-mail for any replies.

Watch this topic, was at the bottom of each topic.

This problem may have been only with my profile for some reason, because I never heard anybody else mention this problem, and it may have ported over from the other board.

Put this on the bottom of your priority list for now, and spend your time taking care of the board in regards to all members.

I can wait.
Followup required after initial shakedown
Will do, and thanks for checking and letting me know.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

looking good on Opera 11.01
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

I've experimented with ignoring users by adding Neo's new obsession with pink to my foe list. :P I'd like to see ignored posts stand out more--larger font-size and some more vertical margin, if not some graphical differentiation. Right now they're kind of easy to miss, aside from the "Top" link on the left.
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

Sergeant Thorne wrote:I've experimented with ignoring users by adding Neo's new obsession with pink to my foe list. :P I'd like to see ignored posts stand out more--larger font-size and some more vertical margin, if not some graphical differentiation. Right now they're kind of easy to miss, aside from the "Top" link on the left.

I will try this feature out today so I can understand what you are saying.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

If Neo/Blaze/Burlyman keeps on using pink, I will create a new user class that cannot use bbcode just for him...
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

Bet51987 wrote:That's what I meant. The signatures are great and I want to keep mine but images in signatures are awful
I don't know if we can put in a software solution to that, but we can simply tell people "no images in signatures".
Krom wrote:If Neo/Blaze/Burlyman keeps on using pink, I will create a new user class that cannot use bbcode just for him...
Agreed.

"Don't abuse colored fonts" should be a board policy.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

RC disabled images in signatures last night before we turned them back on, so any images in them have just been grandfathered in from before the conversion. If you find one that is a problem just leave a note and a link to the users profile and one of the admins will remove the image.
Richard Cranium
DBB Supporter
DBB Supporter

Krom wrote:RC disabled images in signatures last night before we turned them back on, so any images in them have just been grandfathered in from before the conversion. If you find one that is a problem just leave a note and a link to the users profile and one of the admins will remove the image.
If we decide that we want images in the sigs (if we want sigs too) we have the ability to administratively limit the size of them.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

Spidey: Check your posting defaults in the user control panel: ucp.php?i=prefs&mode=post

See what "Notify me upon replies by default:" is set to and try setting it to No if it isn't already. If it was set to No already then I'll start digging deeper into the database to see if I can find the cause...
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Might not be a bug but I could be blind. Using the Orbital theme and when I come visit, I'm on the main index page. I don't see the link to post unread threads anymore.
Richard Cranium
DBB Supporter
DBB Supporter

I think that when you clicked on a link in the old site it opened in a new tab/window. Anyone else recall?
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

Richard,

I need access to the old board so I can look at me old dbb_green theme, Please PM me the link
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Krom wrote:Spidey: Check your posting defaults in the user control panel: ucp.php?i=prefs&mode=post

See what "Notify me upon replies by default:" is set to and try setting it to No if it isn't already. If it was set to No already then I'll start digging deeper into the database to see if I can find the cause...
It's set to "no" and I didn't change it.
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

CDN_Merlin wrote:Might not be a bug but I could be blind. Using the Orbital theme and when I come visit, I'm on the main index page. I don't see the link to post unread threads anymore.
I haven't started editing that theme yet, but will look into adding that link for you when I do
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

Richard Cranium wrote:I think that when you clicked on a link in the old site it opened in a new tab/window. Anyone else recall?
Affirmative, it opened in a new window/tab.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Krom...

I think I might know what happened…

When the board was converted, all of the older topics with the notify tag got copied over, those would be the ones I never changed, because they were no longer being posted to.

So now with the list in the profile…I thought the same thing had happened again. (didn’t notice the lack of current threads)

Consider this issue resolved, for now.

Thanks.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

Spidey wrote:Krom...

I think I might know what happened…

When the board was converted, all of the older topics with the notify tag got copied over, those would be the ones I never changed, because they were no longer being posted to.

So now with the list in the profile…I thought the same thing had happened again. (didn’t notice the lack of current threads)

Consider this issue resolved, for now.

Thanks.
Ahh ok, let me know if anything else comes up.
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

This is the link I've been entered the forum through for the past few years: search.php?search_id=newposts . It only works when one is logged in, but even though I am it's saying "Sorry but you are not permitted to use the search system.". It was working earlier today / yesterday and all prior, but now won't.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

That one is probably because I disabled search globally till we fix the indexing problem on the database.
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

Richard Cranium wrote:I think that when you clicked on a link in the old site it opened in a new tab/window. Anyone else recall?
Is this question related to the links in the Forum title sections? I'm not sure if BBCode allows target="new" or "_blank" I know the forum links and tolpics didn;t open in a new window. It's easy enough to have something open in new window just left me know what link(s) and what theme
<*}}}><