Thumbs up, and some questions

For questions, special requests, or any complaints concerning the Descent BB.

Moderators: Krom, Lothar, Richard Cranium, KoolBear

Akasha
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Thumbs up, and some questions

Post by Akasha »

Hey, guys, I think you all have always done a great job in moderating this bulletin board. But why do you all let flame threads catch fire before closing them? Also, I think it was a good decision to eliminate "sigs"...most of them were inane anyway. You should have seen the GoldenEye forums back in the day. "Look at my new sig!" heh I'm glad to see that we have all developed and matured. So, I salute you. Image Whatever happened to Sup's changes to the DBB?
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

I hate to burst your bubble dude, but we're getting sigs back. Image
Tetrad
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tetrad »

I sure hope not.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by Xciter:
We are?</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You were the one that said we were. Image
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by Tetrad:
I sure hope not.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, once we get phpBB over here, a certain mod that you've been wanting can finally be installed so you don't have to worry about seeing sigs and avatars. Image
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Can't you disable all code except for links in signatures? That would be so very welcome.

Then again I'll probably just disable them anyway.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

i don't think that's possible DC. if code is enabled for sigs it's possible it'll be enabled altgether.
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by Akasha:
But why do you all let flame threads catch fire before closing them? </font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, we aren't Pre-Cogs fighting Pre-Crime. Image
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

You know, modern BB's have options where the users can choose wether they want to view forum signatures or not. I say enable it and let the users decide if they want it switched on or off. This shouldn't be hard to impliment.

One example is the place at www.mektek.net/forums
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by Top Wop:
<b> You know, modern BB's have options where the users can choose wether they want to view forum signatures or not. I say enable it and let the users decide if they want it switched on or off. This shouldn't be hard to impliment.

One example is the place at www.mektek.net/forums</b></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats the mod I'm referring to dude. If I had access to the SQL database on the test site, I could install it for all to see and test.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by Ferno:
i don't think that's possible DC. if code is enabled for sigs it's possible it'll be enabled altgether.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is possible, but it requires access to the DB.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

XC, this mod (is it a mod or just a built-in phpBB option?) would only involve DISPLAY of the data, and would be simple.
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

Agreed with Xciter. Making many mods to a bulletin board system invariably hampers upgradability and are thus bad, m'kay?
Topher
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Topher »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by DCrazy:
XC, this mod (is it a mod or just a built-in phpBB option?) would only involve DISPLAY of the data, and would be simple.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It would also involve STORING somewhere that you didn't want sigs DISPLAYED. Image
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by Xciter:
<b> We aren't going to start adding "mods" to the new BB... thats one of the reasons why this one has had issues of late.

</b></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jim, the thing is, these mods can be easily installed/uninstalled. 90% of them just involves a little text editing. Matter of fact, we've got a couple very useful mods installed on the test site right now. The "Users List" in the admin panel is one of them. Tetrad installed a spoiler mod so all someone would have to do is type [spoiler]spoiler text here[/spoiler] and the text is hidden, yet very obvious that there is something there. Its revealed by moving your mouse cursor over it.

Lets say for instance a mod did cause a problem. It would take someone with FTP access all of 2 minutes to remove it. Hell, if you feel text editing takes too long, just re-upload the edited files and you're good to go. Keep in mind that these mods are tested pretty thoroughly before they are released for public use.

What caused so many problems here is that mods were implimented, and then we had the board crashes, a host that wouldn't give us ****, and more crashes down the line from there. That would make it pretty hard to sort out which part of the code is a mod and which isn't now wouldn't it? Image

As for upgrading....when was the last time we upgraded the board? Image Exactly my point.
Bonz
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Bonz »

sheesh, you all need to stfu and be happy your getting a new board Image
Topher
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Topher »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by Bonz2:
sheesh, you all need to stfu and be happy your getting a new board Image</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We are!!?? *Raises hands in the air and jumps around screaming "yay!"*

Oh, wait, that means more work for me... Image

(Psst, Sickone, I need the DB/SQL un/pw Image )
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

<b> No mods... nice clean board.

</b></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You only say that because you haven't been on the admin panel since I first showed you the board. Atleast keep the User List mod. It makes it SOOOO much easier to administer users. Screencap Its either that, or have to hunt through the admin panel just to do something that you'd only have to click a single link on that panel.
Topher
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Topher »

How modular are your modifications? Like, are they in new files that requiere implanting one or two lines of code into the original phpBB files?
Tetrad
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tetrad »

They're usually a few lines in two places. A few edits of the .php files, and a few edits of the template files. If you look at the mod page they tell you exactly what to search for, so adding and removing said mods is really easy. Some more advanced mods require editing of the SQL database, but we haven't touched those.

The only thing you have to watch out for is that you make sure the files are uploaded in the correct format (ascii).

Take a look at a few of the mods yourself. http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewforum.php?f=15

And all the mods we installed were marked as such in the original files with begin/end comments.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Topher, I've e-mailed you a copy of the Admin Userlist mod so you can see exactly what it entails to install. Its VERY easy to install, and would take you at most 5 minutes to do. (combo of text editing and uploading a couple of files)