VPN server?

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Verran
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

VPN server?

Post by Verran »

Okay, so, I would like to setup a VPN server at home, but I need to be able to specify the port it is running on (which cuts out your basic "incoming connection" setup in Winblows).

I checked out Monowall and scrapped it thanks to installation frustration (USB problems).

I then tried Zeroshell, which seemed to work, except the OpenVPN client doesn't work on Win7/64 bit (thank you, Microsoft -- signed driver problems with their virtual adapter, and I could not resolve the issues).

So, are there any DEAD SIMPLE VPN server solutions out there? Is there really easy software out there somewhere I don't know about? Or, does anyone know of a great router with VPN server connectivity built in? I would like to find one that has gigabit LAN ports available, too. I've searched, and they are few and far between.

God, this is annoying. It shouldn't be hard to do this. I don't mind configuring software and systems, but I'm tired of wasting my time on solutions that end up failing in one way or another. Help! :)
FireFox
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re: VPN server?

Post by FireFox »

Well I'm not to sure if this will fit your bill but I had a similar problem when I tried to setup a VPN at my home for off site connections to my server via my router but ended up not being able to alter the routers default IP range to setup the different routers to the VPN like stated in the manuals.

I ended up with a rather easy solution for my needs that is:

TeamViewer

Best part is it is free for non-commercial use i.e. home/private usage :wink:

But like I said not sure if it will fit your bill.
All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing!
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Quite off topic, but does give some remote access. I'm looking into install something like this on my server:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/thinvnc/
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-★ ·:*¨༺꧁༺ :E ༻꧂༻¨*:·.★-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-
Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Thenior »

Verran, have you ever tried Hamachi? The free version is very functional for less than 16 clients. I've played UT 2007 over it when I was behind a Cisco firewall.

https://secure.logmein.com/products/hamachi2/
Verran
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Verran »

Sorry guys, I was in a rush out the door while typing this. My fault. I meant to say "at home, in addition to a client's office". So it would be for both commercial and non-commercial use. My client doesn't have a ton of cash to spend. I want to get around firewall blocks (so I can get in no matter where I am) and avoid dealing with configuration woes.

TeamViewer is great, except the commercial version is $700. Hamachi is $200 a year. Ouch!

Well, I may end up using TeamViewer at home, then ssh from there to my client's network. At one of my locations, ssh traffic is sniffed and blocked (meaning I can't just change ports and get through).

I'd rather find a simple, free VPN solution that would work for both, but I guess it is what it is.
Verran
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Verran »

ThinVNC is very cool, but it won't let me actually connect to the remote network. It may have to do, though. Still open to more suggestions and alternatives!
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

Isaac wrote:Quite off topic, but does give some remote access. I'm looking into install something like this on my server:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/thinvnc/
You should be ashamed of yourself. You have ssh and a client-side X-windows system.

Ver,

It's a shame that one of your locations blocks ssh traffic, because IMO it's the best solution. Is there any chance that you could petition to the network manager to have it un-blocked?
Arch Linux x86-64, Openbox
"We'll just set a new course for that empty region over there, near that blackish, holeish thing. " Zapp Brannigan
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

snoopy wrote:You should be ashamed of yourself. You have ssh and a client-side X-windows system.
on MY computer maybe...
-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-★ ·:*¨༺꧁༺ :E ༻꧂༻¨*:·.★-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-
Verran
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Verran »

snoopy wrote:It's a shame that one of your locations blocks ssh traffic, because IMO it's the best solution. Is there any chance that you could petition to the network manager to have it un-blocked?
Haha, I wish. One day I found a server that wasn't being monitored, and I needed to restart Apache on a remote server real quick, so I ssh'd in from that system. About 15 minutes later the network admin walks over and asks me about it. 2 minutes later, that server is blocked. So, unfortunately, no. :(
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

Verran wrote:
snoopy wrote:It's a shame that one of your locations blocks ssh traffic, because IMO it's the best solution. Is there any chance that you could petition to the network manager to have it un-blocked?
Haha, I wish. One day I found a server that wasn't being monitored, and I needed to restart Apache on a remote server real quick, so I ssh'd in from that system. About 15 minutes later the network admin walks over and asks me about it. 2 minutes later, that server is blocked. So, unfortunately, no. :(

Sounds like someone doesn't have enough to do at work....
Arch Linux x86-64, Openbox
"We'll just set a new course for that empty region over there, near that blackish, holeish thing. " Zapp Brannigan
TOR_LordRaven
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by TOR_LordRaven »

have you tried... Creating a Virtual Machine in in MS Virtual PC 2007 (Free Download), setting up XP (or anyother OS for that matter) and loading OpenVPN on that?

I have a Virtual Machine at home running all my web-stuff.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

The problem with X11 is that it wasn't designed to work well over high latency connections, since it has a lot of "round trip" delays. This is where NX (ideally) or VNC step up.

Also, at the risk of sounding redundant, your network admin should unblock ssh. :P
Verran
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Verran »

I could probably setup an OpenVPN install, sure, but I'm jaded after my "fun" with Zeroshell. Plus, having read OpenVPN configuration how to's... fruck!, what a pain in the ass! Sure, I could try it, and hope everything works right off the bat. If not: I am so tired of wasting hours on this, hence my complaint for "dead simple".

TeamViewer VPN worked flawlessly. Brain dead simple. I will probably just use that + ssh from home.

ssh: No kidding! This is the first place I've ever been at that blocked ssh. What the hell? Stupid companies.