Feedback on the index layout

For questions, special requests, or any complaints concerning the Descent BB.

Moderators: Krom, Lothar, Richard Cranium, KoolBear

Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Feedback on the index layout

Post by Lothar »

I find the index (using the default theme) to be fairly cluttered. As pun said over on .com, it's "busy and hurty to the eyes". I'd like it to be a bit cleaner. Here are some specifics:

- the list of moderators for each forum could be put off to the side (as it was in the previous version) or not included at all. Why does someone reading the index need to know that Foil is the E&C moderator? IMO all that we really need is the forum name and the description.

- the 3-pyro icon for forums with subforums seems excessively large to me. Why not just use the same 1-pyro icon? I don't see the value in using a more complex icon for a forum with subforums.

- Teamspeak and Feed icons: does anyone actually use a feed reader for the DBB? Is that icon necessary? Could we use an icon that's a few pixels shorter (maybe a rectangular icon) so that it doesn't stick up higher than the words?

- Links: can these be underlined? (In general, not just on the index page.) Otherwise it's hard to tell what I can click on and what I can't.
Izchak says: 'slow down. Think clearly.'
April Fools Day is the one day of the year that people critically evaluate news articles before accepting them as true.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re: Feedback on the index layout

Post by Foil »

Lothar wrote:- the list of moderators for each forum could be put off to the side (as it was in the previous version) or not included at all. Why does someone reading the index need to know that Foil is the E&C moderator? IMO all that we really need is the forum name and the description.
Agreed. Moderator names are listed inside the forum, which is sufficient.
Lothar wrote:- the 3-pyro icon for forums with subforums seems excessively large to me. Why not just use the same 1-pyro icon? I don't see the value in using a more complex icon for a forum with subforums.
I think it's the over-complexity / busy-ness that makes it look so cluttered. Just use the same icon; the subforums are listed, anyway.
Lothar wrote:- Links: can these be underlined? (In general, not just on the index page.) Otherwise it's hard to tell what I can click on and what I can't.
This is probably the issue that's grabbed my attention most lately. Visited links are the same color as regular text (at least in the default theme), which makes them disappear in the text.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

x3.

Also a "Mark all posts read" under "View unread posts" would be nice. "View new posts" and "View active topics" are covered by "View unread ..", don't need them.
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

Lothar wrote:I find the index (using the default theme) to be fairly cluttered. As pun said over on .com, it's "busy and hurty to the eyes". I'd like it to be a bit cleaner. Here are some specifics:

heh ... no HEH
Lothar wrote:- the list of moderators for each forum could be put off to the side (as it was in the previous version) or not included at all. Why does someone reading the index need to know that Foil is the E&C moderator? IMO all that we really need is the forum name and the description.

Let's just remove them all together. On the top of each forum page the moderator is shown.
Lothar wrote:- the 3-pyro icon for forums with subforums seems excessively large to me. Why not just use the same 1-pyro icon? I don't see the value in using a more complex icon for a forum with subforums.

done
Lothar wrote:- Teamspeak and Feed icons: does anyone actually use a feed reader for the DBB? Is that icon necessary? Could we use an icon that's a few pixels shorter (maybe a rectangular icon) so that it doesn't stick up higher than the words?
I agree smaller and less noticeable is good, I think I'll see how they look under the forum image. BTW Lothar I am not a graphic artist, I have done the best I can. If you want different graphics supply them... if they look good we'll use them.
Lothar wrote:- Links: can these be underlined? (In general, not just on the index page.) Otherwise it's hard to tell what I can click on and what I can't.
No underlines but I did change the color.
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

Grendel wrote:x3.

Also a "Mark all posts read" under "View unread posts" would be nice. "View new posts" and "View active topics" are covered by "View unread ..", don't need them.
Why do I need to make it two lines instead of one line?Which theme?

Do we really need current time and last time you visited?

Change from...
It is currently Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:50 pm • Last visit was: Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:20 am
View unanswered posts • View unread posts • View new posts • View your posts • View active topics • Mark forums read

To just ...
View unanswered posts • View your posts • View unread posts • Mark forums read
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

KoolBear wrote:

done
I still see the no-new-posts triple-pyro icon in the default theme.
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

Foil wrote:
KoolBear wrote:

done
I still see the no-new-posts triple-pyro icon in the default theme.
Refresh please.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Still there, KB.

[Edit: N/M, gone now. Thank you!!! :D ]
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

:P you caught me in an update

I removed the line
"Current Time" and "Last time you visited" line.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

When i click on "view unread threads" it brings me to anotehr page. Would it be possible to have "mark all forums read" on that page so i don't have to go back to the original page to mark them all read?
MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK Z490;Intel Core i7-10700K 3.8GHz;EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 Super KO Gaming 8GB GDDR6;SeaSonic FOCUS GX Series 750 Watt 80 Plus Gold;A-Data XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB 3D NAND PCIe NVMe M.2 2280;WD Black 6TB 7200RPM 256MB 3.5" SATA3;Fractal Design Define 7 Compact Mid Tower;Asus SDRW-08D2S-U 8X Slim DVD-RW External Drive;Corsair VENGEANCE LPX 32GB 2x16 3600 DDR4 C18; Win 10 64Bit
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

KoolBear wrote:
Grendel wrote:Also a "Mark all posts read" under "View unread posts" would be nice.
Default. W/ "Under" I mean the sceen you get after clicking "View unread posts" -- load dbb, go to "View unread..", pick one that you're interested in, enter, read, go back. Rinse repeat. In the end the ones you skip are still marked "unread", so I wan't to mark them read. Would be nice if that could be done while in the "View unread posts" list.
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

Grendel and Merlin you are both talking about the same page correct? I've never used any of those links :P

I will if it will work. But let me do that when I can focus a little more.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Looking much cleaner, thank you KB!
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

CDN_Merlin wrote:When i click on "view unread threads" it brings me to anotehr page. Would it be possible to have "mark all forums read" on that page so i don't have to go back to the original page to mark them all read?
Grendel wrote:
KoolBear wrote:
Grendel wrote:Also a "Mark all posts read" under "View unread posts" would be nice.
Default. W/ "Under" I mean the srceen you get after clicking "View unread posts" -- load dbb, go to "View unread..", pick one that you're interested in, enter, read, go back. Rinse repeat. In the end the ones you skip are still marked "unread", so I wan't to mark them read. Would be nice if that could be done while in the "View unread posts" list.
Gentlemen, please see if I understood your wants and desires. I do aim to please it's just that I am a really bad aim :P
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Yep, that's it :) Thanks !
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

Should I kill the bullet in front of it?
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Sure.

Also, you left in the "View unread posts", could we change that to the "View new posts" ? The latter will keep the list as is, the "unread" thing will remove the posts as soon you read them (makes going back for a last second change a pain.)

Edit: Heh, the "Mark forums read" w/ the bullet does just get you back to the index page ?!
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

Grendel wrote:Sure.

Also, you left in the "View unread posts", could we change that to the "View new posts" ? The latter will keep the list as is, the "unread" thing will remove the posts as soon you read them (makes going back for a last second change a pain.)
I will swap them out
Grendel wrote:Edit: Heh, the "Mark forums read" w/ the bullet does just get you back to the index page ?!
umm, same code but maybe that routine doesn't work in that page, i think that url gets assembled in the fourms.php file. maybe it I can find that subroutine copy and paste it into the search.php ... let me look on this tonight, please remind me soo many thing in the works.

EDIT:

I copied this subroutine from the fourmdisplay.php into the search.php file

Code: Select all

// @start KoolBear to build the url in the search results page.
	// Handle marking posts
	if ($mark_read == 'forums' || $mark_read == 'all')
	{
		$redirect = build_url(array('mark', 'hash'));
		$token = request_var('hash', '');
		if (check_link_hash($token, 'global'))
		{
			if ($mark_read == 'all')
			{
				markread('all');
				$message = sprintf($user->lang['RETURN_INDEX'], '<a href="' . $redirect . '">', '</a>');
			}
			else
			{
				// Add 0 to forums array to mark global announcements correctly
				$forum_ids[] = 0;
				markread('topics', $forum_ids);
				$message = sprintf($user->lang['RETURN_FORUM'], '<a href="' . $redirect . '">', '</a>');
			}
			meta_refresh(3, $redirect);
			trigger_error($user->lang['FORUMS_MARKED'] . '<br /><br />' . $message);
		}
		else
		{
			$message = sprintf($user->lang['RETURN_PAGE'], '<a href="' . $redirect . '">', '</a>');
			meta_refresh(3, $redirect);
			trigger_error($message);
		}

}
// @end KoolBear to build the url in the search results page.
I then added this to teh varibles

Code: Select all

// define some vars for urls
// @start KoolBear to build the url in the search results page.
		'U_MARK_FORUMS'		=> ($user->data['is_registered'] || $config['load_anon_lastread']) ? append_sid("{$phpbb_root_path}viewforum.$phpEx", 'hash=' . generate_link_hash('global') . '&f=' . $root_data['forum_id'] . '&mark=forums') : '',
// @end KoolBear to build the url in the search results page.

Where else might I need to do something?
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

If I'm in the view unread posts" page it doesn't have "marks forum read" anywhere. I'm using the Orbital theme.
MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK Z490;Intel Core i7-10700K 3.8GHz;EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 Super KO Gaming 8GB GDDR6;SeaSonic FOCUS GX Series 750 Watt 80 Plus Gold;A-Data XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB 3D NAND PCIe NVMe M.2 2280;WD Black 6TB 7200RPM 256MB 3.5" SATA3;Fractal Design Define 7 Compact Mid Tower;Asus SDRW-08D2S-U 8X Slim DVD-RW External Drive;Corsair VENGEANCE LPX 32GB 2x16 3600 DDR4 C18; Win 10 64Bit
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

I believe KB is working in the default theme and will update the other themes after.
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

CDN_Merlin wrote:If I'm in the view unread posts" page it doesn't have "marks forum read" anywhere. I'm using the Orbital theme.
I'll need to look into this one this weekend.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Much better, thanks again. Altho the "Mark forum read" on the "View new posts" page still resolves to "http://www.descentbb.net/". Maybe because the page it's a thread list vs. a forum list ? Is there a "Mark all threads read" function somewhere ?
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

Grendel wrote:Much better, thanks again. Altho the "Mark forum read" on the "View new posts" page still resolves to "http://www.descentbb.net/". Maybe because the page it's a thread list vs. a forum list ? Is there a "Mark all threads read" function somewhere ?
So it "mark forum read" only works on the front page or Forum List page?

I wonder if I could "include" forumslist.php in the search.php and view_topics.php
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

KoolBear wrote:So it "mark forum read" only works on the front page or Forum List page?
Seems like it, don't know for sure tho.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

When I go to set up the index layout in stylish (a plugin for my browser that lets me do this stuff client side), I really trim it up:
http://krom.sploitz.com/DBB/DBB_cleaned.png

I managed to squeeze the entire index into one page @ 1280x960 without scrolling. :D
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

lol Krom, I have agreed with most of the ideas and suggestions you have presented but my friend that's not cleaning it up. That's ripping it apart. We can and should trim down some of the descriptions they only need a short description.

Maybe we should create theme that is streamlined for those that want it but ... shoot create it and we'll post it, or if it can wait till you guys say the current theme is acceptable then I will have time. These are really easy template changes if you have the time,

OTOH, I still think the view topic page is wrong in the classic theme if anything it's that page that is hurty to the eyes ;)
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Hehe, don't worry KB, that is just how it displays to me personally. I already know what all that says (I've been reading it for 12 years) so I just carve it all out. I do the same thing to the index of .com too: http://krom.sploitz.com/DBB/dotcom_cleaned.png

I did all that without modifying anything on the actual page, it will only display that way in my browser because of a plugin and some css wizardry I use.
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

You know this is a real easy addition to make IF I were a programmer, I could set a variable and IF you have it selected I turn just don't display it, sad thing is I have no idea what I am talking about ;P
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

If someone wants it, I can share the code with them. It needs a plugin in firefox, but should also be possible in chrome with some tweaking.
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

I mean it could be pretty easy to add an option. In the user contol panel. Select yes or no to display forum descriptions based on selection there sour bf an if statement in the template file. Not to difficult maybe its time for this 50 yr old to take a programming class
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

I found a nice java script that could be installed here that would allow users to drag and drop the forum listings to suit their preference :) I think that would be a nice feature.

If I recall the java script stores the forum layout in a cookie.....
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Ohhh, that sounds interesting! 8)
Prepare for DESCENT!
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

...seriously? No offense Mike, but PLEASE don't go hog wild with the damn board mods. The board already has enough features as it is. Remember, the more of this ★■◆● you add, the less stable the board becomes. All it takes is one or two badly written mods to break the entire board, and then you get to play "ok, which line of code conflicted with what?". Just stick to K.I.S.S.
"One spelling mistake can destroy your life. A Husband sent this to his wife : "I'm having a wonderful time. Wish you were her." - @RobinWilliams
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

I agree.

Part of the charm this place has always had is its simplicity. Features don't make a board; the people do. :)

You guys have done an incredible job making the place functional and smooth again. Take a break and just enjoy; we don't need bells and whistles.
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

I haven't added anything yet. ALL work has been on themes :)

I would like to add something to the domain though and maybe you can help me with that, drop me a PM if you might be interested