Voodoo5

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

TOR_LordRaven
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Voodoo5

Post by TOR_LordRaven »

At work, I have a tri-monitor setup.
I upgraded my work PC recently.. it is running XP64bit while my old one was 32bit.

I have a Voodoo5 5500 PCI card installed to push the third monitor (GeForce Quadro FX for the first two).

Its working fine, except the 3rd screen, the video properties say.. "Adapter Type: Standard VGA Graphics Adapter"
and Adapter info, it says its a 3dfx Video card, but its using a generic Windows Adapter.
Thus, any windows open on that third monitor are very slow when moving around.

I have found several places online that offer 64bit third party drivers, but anytime i go to install them it says my current driver is newer and it quits.

Any ideas?
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Re: Voodoo5

Post by Krom »

Try the "have disk" method and see if it will let you override and force the install anyway.
TOR_LordRaven
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by TOR_LordRaven »

Yeah tried that - pointed it to where the installer put its files, and it finds nothing. im still messing around with it..
Gold Leader
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Gold Leader »

hehe 3dfx cards and 64Bit Microsoft Operating systems? Not a problem now, SFFT a friend of mine from 3dfxzone.it made drivers froWin2K/XP/Vista&7 32bit and 64Bit Operating Systems, grab SFFT Alpha 1.6 over here:

http://dxx-rebirth.com/frm/showthread.p ... 35#pid9035

Read that and it should take away your worries the first post is hw to get DXX-rebirth running on your Vodooo3/4 and 5 VGA cards under new gen MS OS'es :) I made that and ps47 & SFFT were alsoa great help for making it possible, SFFT 1.6 should also work btw, need more 3dfx help just ask me man.
Blue-Leader: Dual Six-Core AMD OpteronDP 2435 D0, 4x 4096MB PC2-6400 ECC Reg Kingston Value Ram, Supermicro H8DAE-2
Firefox: Dual Two-Core AMD OpteronDP 285 E6, 4x 2048MB PC-3200 ECC Reg HP/Micron Server Ram, ASUS K8N-DL
TOR_LordRaven
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by TOR_LordRaven »

thats actually the exact stuff ive been using. It goes through the motions of installing, and right at the end it says "Could not install. The drivers you currently have are newer than the ones being installed". Then it quits.

I un-installed the drivers, and ran the process again, to no avail.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

I wonder if changing the driver with "standard VGA adapter", rebooting, running a driver sweep on the voodoo drivers and then trying to update the driver would help.

Also, 64 bit versions of Vista and Windows 7 have driver signature enforcement that must be disabled before one can install an unsigned driver for anything, it is one of the options in the boot menu. I don't recall if Windows XP x64 has that so I would check for it.
TOR_LordRaven
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by TOR_LordRaven »

The only thing i can do with the driver is uninstall it. I can't roll it back or switch to a different one. The driver is listed as a 2002 date or something like that. Shows its a 3dfx card, but with only 8mb of Ram.

Very odd. I'll play around with it again tomorrow.
Gold Leader
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Gold Leader »

Post your bug here and you will get help, patience is a great need in 3dfx land ;)
http://www.3dfxzone.it/enboard/topic.as ... chpage=115

but tha is the main bug report thread for the SFFT Alpha /beta and release drivers.
Blue-Leader: Dual Six-Core AMD OpteronDP 2435 D0, 4x 4096MB PC2-6400 ECC Reg Kingston Value Ram, Supermicro H8DAE-2
Firefox: Dual Two-Core AMD OpteronDP 285 E6, 4x 2048MB PC-3200 ECC Reg HP/Micron Server Ram, ASUS K8N-DL