The religiously stupid...

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

The religiously stupid...

Post by Nightshade »

Are at it again:
DEVOTEES re-enacted Jesus's crucifixion in gory scenes while millions of other less extreme faithful across the Catholic Philippines prayed with their families on Good Friday.

A handful of people are traditionally nailed to crosses while hundreds more have their backs whipped until they bleed in Asia's major Catholic outpost, to remember the day when Christians believe Jesus Christ died 2,000 years ago.
At least they're not whipping or nailing unbelievers to crosses. That can at least be said.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/b ... public_rss
"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - Mao Zedong
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re: The religiously stupid...

Post by Spidey »

What’s your point?

For god’s sake, you need a new obsession.
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Post by CUDA »

Spidey wrote:What’s your point?

For god’s sake, you need a new obsession.
+1 I couldn't agree more
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

Par for the coarse, as far as Catholics are concerned. Jesus came to make men free, and the Catholic faith puts them in bondage. It's sad to hear about people doing those kinds of things when it really doesn't profit them anything.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

ThunderBunny wrote:At least they're not whipping or nailing unbelievers to crosses. That can at least be said.
Interesting. Did that ever happen under Christianized Romans? I know they didn't use the cross symbol at first as the Christian sign. Maybe that's the reason why... They were still using it.
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-★ ·:*¨༺꧁༺ :E ༻꧂༻¨*:·.★-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Sergeant Thorne wrote:Par for the coarse, as far as Catholics are concerned. Jesus came to make men free, and the Catholic faith puts them in bondage. It's sad to hear about people doing those kinds of things when it really doesn't profit them anything.
...the sad thing is that you really believe what you're saying here, don't you?
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Sergeant Thorne wrote:Par for the coarse.

I'm avoiding the actual topic(per my words to Bettina earlier), but this is just one of those priceless examples of what public posting, coupled with dubious usage of English, can yield. :lol: :lol:
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Top Gun wrote:
Sergeant Thorne wrote:Par for the coarse, as far as Catholics are concerned. Jesus came to make men free, and the Catholic faith puts them in bondage. It's sad to hear about people doing those kinds of things when it really doesn't profit them anything.
You know Top Gun, you have a bad habit of making fun of people instead of voicing a disagreement. Let me be the first to tell you that your superiority doesn't extend beyond your college major. Catholicism really is fucked up in a lot of ways, and all of those ways apply specifically and overtly to whatever part of it you're familiar with, so even if ignorance might theoretically be a possibility, for you it is not an option.
dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by dissent »

Sergeant Thorne wrote:
Top Gun wrote:
You know Top Gun, you have a bad habit of making fun of people instead of voicing a disagreement. Let me be the first to tell you that your superiority doesn't extend beyond your college major. Catholicism really is f***** up in a lot of ways, and all of those ways apply specifically and overtly to whatever part of it you're familiar with, so even if ignorance might theoretically be a possibility, for you it is not an option.
Except that what you're doing here is conflating the behavior of some Catholics with the actual teachings of Catholicism. Please show me, by reference to documents of the actual teaching magisterium of the church, how the behaviors described in the OP are part of Catholic teaching.

Or, is what you are saying just ... your opinion.
"I've long called these people Religious Maniacs because, of course, they are. I always point out that you don't need a god to be religious maniac; you just need a dogma and a Devil." - Ace @ Ace of SpadesHQ, 13 May 2015, 1900 hr
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

I was making two statements in one. 1) The Catholic church is full of weird and disturbing practices, especially from a Biblical Christian perspective, and 2) The Catholic church puts people in bondage when Jesus Christ died to make them free. The first is partly opinion (you could argue that this is not weird or disturbing), except that some of my opinions are based on Biblical teaching and a Biblical perspective, so it isn't just my opinion. The fact that odd practices like and unlike this are the domain of the Catholic church is historic. The second cannot be opinion, it can only be right or wrong. If you're wanting to relegate opposition to "opinion" when it doesn't even make rational sense, I think you should consider your motives.
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by dissent »

Sergeant Thorne wrote:The first is partly opinion (you could argue that this is not weird or disturbing), except that some of my opinions are based on Biblical teaching and a Biblical perspective, so it isn't just my opinion.
Whose "Biblical teaching" are you referring to. It's been my experience that there are lots of "Biblical teaching"'s, hence the plethora of Christian denominations.
The fact that odd practices like and unlike this are the domain of the Catholic church is historic. The second cannot be opinion, it can only be right or wrong. If you're wanting to relegate opposition to "opinion" when it doesn't even make rational sense, I think you should consider your motives.
Agreed, the Catholic Church is historic - it is nearly two thousand years old. My only motive here is to try to get a response from you that relates to the OP. You've made reference to "weird or disturbing practices", and implied they are part of Catholicism. By making this implication, you are further implying that these practices are part of the teaching of the church. So let's stick with the practice described in the OP, and let me repeat - please show me, by reference to documents of the actual teaching magisterium of the church, how the behaviors described in the OP are part of Catholic teaching.

Same goes for Bee. If members of Opus Dei choose to engage in certain behavior, show me where this comes from the teaching magisterium of the Church.
"I've long called these people Religious Maniacs because, of course, they are. I always point out that you don't need a god to be religious maniac; you just need a dogma and a Devil." - Ace @ Ace of SpadesHQ, 13 May 2015, 1900 hr
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Sergeant Thorne wrote:I was making two statements in one. 1) The Catholic church is full of weird and disturbing practices, especially from a Biblical Christian perspective, and 2) The Catholic church puts people in bondage when Jesus Christ died to make them free. The first is partly opinion (you could argue that this is not weird or disturbing), except that some of my opinions are based on Biblical teaching and a Biblical perspective, so it isn't just my opinion. The fact that odd practices like and unlike this are the domain of the Catholic church is historic. The second cannot be opinion, it can only be right or wrong. If you're wanting to relegate opposition to "opinion" when it doesn't even make rational sense, I think you should consider your motives.
The only "disturbing" thing here is your attempt to conflate the practice of obviously troubled individuals like these with official Catholic doctrines and practices. Are you really going to suggest that a few head-cases nailing themselves to crosses is in the same vein as going to Mass every week?

More broadly, I can't say I feel like getting into some dogmatic battle with you, but I think it's funny that you'd cite history without seemingly paying attention to it yourself. For instance, you are aware that, for a thousand years, Catholicism essentially was Christianity, correct? And even after the Eastern Orthodox church broke away in 1054, their doctrines remained similar enough (to the point where we're in full communion with each other today) that it was almost status quo for another five hundred years. Catholicism is the only branch of Christianity that can claim direct apostolic succession, and the authority it holds was granted by Christ himself in no uncertain terms. I should think that someone who treats every single comma in the Bible as literal should be able to pick up on that.
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

callmeslick wrote:
Sergeant Thorne wrote:Par for the coarse.

I'm avoiding the actual topic(per my words to Bettina earlier), but this is just one of those priceless examples of what public posting, coupled with dubious usage of English, can yield. :lol: :lol:
Give it a rest, not everybody can afford a personal secretary, to post on a BB. :wink:
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

Probably do everyone a bit of good to turn off autocorrect.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

"course" Doh! Heh. That wasn't auto-correct's fault, that was all me. I should probably turn it off. I used to be great at spelling and I find myself slipping these days.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

between auto-correct, spellcheck and online dictionaries, there really is no excuse for bad spelling.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Sergeant Thorne wrote:"course" Doh! Heh. That wasn't auto-correct's fault, that was all me. I should probably turn it off. I used to be great at spelling and I find myself slipping these days.
actually, we all fall prey to that one, thanks to a tendency to rely on automated tools. Note to those commentors sans humor, I just found the word combination a funny phrase to ponder.
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"