How to avoid your own birthday?

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

How to avoid your own birthday?

Post by Avder »

MY birthday is later this month and I have decided I want absolutely nothing to do with it. The problem is that other people in my life tend to make a very big deal about it. All I want is for my birthday to come and go without any special interruptions, phone calls, messages, parties, or even cake. I just want it to be like any other day.

Does anyone have any advice on how I can actually accomplish this? How I can convince the people who always make a fuss to just be completely silent and forgo the usual well-wishings that I don't appreciate, the gifts I don't want, and the annoyance that comes with all of it?

Basically all I want for my birthday is some peace and quiet. How do I get people to understand that?
CORD
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re: How to avoid your own birthday?

Post by CORD »

Tell them.
Don't be so openminded that your brains fall out.
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

CORD wrote:Tell them.
If that actually worked I wouldn't be asking advice. I'm looking for ways to both tell them AND get them to understand that I actually mean it. I've told them to ignore my birthday in the past and it just has the opposite effect. They basically think that by asking them to ignore it I'm really asking them to make a bigger deal about it, like I'm just being modest or something.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

email them this thread.
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-★ ·:*¨༺꧁༺ :E ༻꧂༻¨*:·.★-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

Isaac wrote:email them this thread.
Most of them dont use the internet that much.
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Post by CUDA »

Go all Bruce Wayne on them from Batman Begins. I bet you'll never have to celebrate another birthday again :P
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

I think it's kind of a strange attitude to have in general. Cake and free stuff are two of the finer things in life. :P
Heretic
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral
Location: Why no Krom I didn't know you can have 100 characters in this box.

Post by Heretic »

Yea sponges tend think that way TG. I feel the same as you Avder just disappear that day go on a day trip don't tell any one where you are going. Spending time alone is a good thing unless you don't like yourself.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

But take them aside and talk to them, and explain that you do mean it seriously. That's what my brother did, and it worked - for all of us (because no one in my family wants it to be a big deal).
Ship's cat, MPSV Iberia: beware of cat.
Beware my original music, at http://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

x2 to Heretic and Alter-Fox's suggestions. The former will leave people wondering, but they'll get it, or at least they won't make as much effort next time. The latter is more direct, and really depends on how well folks listen.
dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by dissent »

Yeah, I like to minimize my birthday too, but it looks like you want to have it all your way; win for me and lose for my family that wants to celebrate it. Why not try to have a (partial) win- (partial) win scenario. Tell them about your strong desire for a scaled back celebration. You pick a venue - favorite restaurant; picnic at a park, etc. Do what you can to control the parameters; food, atmosphere, length of time involved, etc. You get more control, they get a little chance to do their celebration.

Short of joining the French Foreign Legion or threatening fire and brimstone, do what you can to get a little win-win for everybody. I find life easier when you can find ways to do that.
"I've long called these people Religious Maniacs because, of course, they are. I always point out that you don't need a god to be religious maniac; you just need a dogma and a Devil." - Ace @ Ace of SpadesHQ, 13 May 2015, 1900 hr
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Something I learned all those years framing. If presented with a bad situation that can't be avoided, immediately find the best solution and present it. If you got to do it, at least you can do it your way.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Heretic wrote:Yea sponges tend think that way TG.
Ooh, big man here. Watch out everyone.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

What's all this "everyone" stuff? He's only picking on you. ;)
Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Thenior »

Still, I agree that Heretics response is silly.

You guys should really think about the root of what is going on here. People are giving you cake and celebrating because they like you and want to show you their appreciation. If you want your birthday to be mellow, just get out for a couple days. If you can't get time off work, just take the evening out with a friend or something.

You don't like the gifts people give you... well lets just say if your biggest problem is getting gifts you don't like, I think you are pretty well off.
sdfgeoff
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by sdfgeoff »

I also downplay birthdays. I mean, what the big deal anyway.
My modus operandi at the moment for avoiding birthdays is simply not to tell anyone. I haven't had anyone do anything for my birthday for a few years now because of that. They simply don't know about it.
Eh?
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

I think a combination of telling them not to do anything and vanishing on the day in question is the route I'm going to look at. I'll see if I can find a friend of mine to spend a night out of town with, or at least at some upscale hotel for the night.