exit Newt, stage right.........

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

exit Newt, stage right.........

Post by callmeslick »

The Gingrich bandwagon seems to have derailed rather quickly..........
damn, there goes one of the few 'ideas' people on the right, with the wits to put those ideas forth.
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re: exit Newt, stage right.........

Post by Tunnelcat »

I wonder what happened? Everyone jumped ship. Maybe it was sinking? :P

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_theticket ... ign-resign
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Post by CUDA »

didn't care for Gingrich anyways :roll:
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

Good riddance (if he does in fact leave.)
"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - Mao Zedong
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

From Newts past affiliations, I'd say good riddance to another rino. The left liked Newt because they know Obama would beat him and so you don't see the vitriol that you do against Palin. As to being a thinking man, Newt stopped thinking conservatively after his Contract with America plan dried up.
null0010
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by null0010 »

lol

RINO.

You do realize that phrase is destroying the Republican party, right?
Fear is the engine that destroys freedom.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

null0010 wrote:lol

RINO.

and has been for nearly a decade.......shhhhhhhush! :lol:
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

null0010 wrote:lol

RINO.

Not the phrase, but the people who wear the tag.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

What, you mean the people who *gasp* hold moderate positions and are *gasp gasp* willing to compromise to get things done?
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Maybe what we need is a "Moderate" party and call it the RiMoDi party. :P
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

woodchip wrote:Maybe what we need is a "Moderate" party and call it the RiMoDi party. :P

call it what you wish, but such a party would represent around 70% of the population far better than either of the present 'major' parties.
George Orwell---"1984"
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

callmeslick wrote:
woodchip wrote:Maybe what we need is a "Moderate" party and call it the RiMoDi party. :P

call it what you wish, but such a party would represent around 70% of the population far better than either of the present 'major' parties.
You recognize that yet you wouldn't dare advocate abandoning your party! (don't feel singled out, there are many here on the right that I target with the same accusation)
If enough of that 70% would actually show up and vote 'other' just one or two cycles and send off a few letters explaining why they did it you would see the smarter politicians scramble to take the lead of the movement that 70% created with their vote against the status quo and a new viable party would be born.
It would be like giant emema for D.C.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Will Robinson wrote:You recognize that yet you wouldn't dare advocate abandoning your party! (don't feel singled out, there are many here on the right that I target with the same accusation)
you clearly don't know me well enough. I have both been a thorn in the side to the party, and have abandoned it in several races where I backed moderate Repubs with my time and money.
If enough of that 70% would actually show up and vote 'other' just one or two cycles and send off a few letters explaining why they did it you would see the smarter politicians scramble to take the lead of the movement that 70% created with their vote against the status quo and a new viable party would be born.
It would be like giant emema for D.C.
sadly, it's not that easy. It would be more likely to be effective if those 70% put Moderate Reps and Dems into power and explained it to the fringe wingnuts on either extreme.
George Orwell---"1984"
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

What moderate candidates from both sides do you see as fitting to lead America back to it's former glory?
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

flip wrote:What moderate candidates from both sides do you see as fitting to lead America back to it's former glory?

fair enough question, as it's become a dwindling number. On the Dem side, folks like Evan Bayh, Bob Casey, Jim Webb, Bill Bradley. On the GOP side, one could be extremely limited at present, but there are sensible folks out there, if you look hard enough. Judd Gregg, Orrin Hatch and others are sensible, decent people.
George Orwell---"1984"
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

"Former glory" seems like a bit of a misnomer, too. The basic fact is that the United States is never going to occupy the same exact position that it held for much of the past fifty or sixty years...the world has changed, and there are new powers rising and evolving. Maybe a much better goal to shoot for would be improving our country's internal state and allowing us to maintain a strong position of relevance on the global stage.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Can argue but with one remark in that statement. It has always been about the global stage. Go and read The Communist Manifesto of which I'm no supporter, but it does give a good representation to the order of things before industrialization. The idea to rule the world is a common thread throughout history and a lot of the same bloodlines.
Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Gooberman »

What moderate candidates from both sides do you see as fitting to lead America back to it's former glory?
I am interested in Mitt Romney if he makes it past the primary. His record is socially liberal, fiscally conservative; and this country hasn't seen one of those in a very long time. He doesn't "talk" that way these days, but I think thats how he would end up in office.

I worry he would pull a John McCain and get an ultra conservative running mate to "fire up the base"
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

I still think I'm gonna wait till the players are set. One idea I've had, is to write every congressman or senator that I feel would have a chance with the real American public. An American Globalist. See, I can do that ★■◆● too :P
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

callmeslick wrote:..
sadly, it's not that easy. It would be more likely to be effective if those 70% put Moderate Reps and Dems into power and explained it to the fringe wingnuts on either extreme.
No, because that wouldn't be seen as a defection, everyone would still be voting for their respective party and some of your moderates wouldn't deliver, they will be assimilated or marginalized by the old guard so there would be no sign of a groundswell of discontent. No buzz.

70% voting 3rd party out of outright revolt would be a million times more effective than 70% voting 35% moderate repub and 35% voting moderate dem! Hell they might not even notice a change doing it your way and your letter of explanation would explain what? 'You still voted for the party but boy you really meant to let them have it'?!?
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

I would take having good people in congress over sending them a message anyday.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Will Robinson wrote:70% voting 3rd party out of outright revolt would be a million times more effective than 70% voting 35% moderate repub and 35% voting moderate dem! Hell they might not even notice a change doing it your way and your letter of explanation would explain what? 'You still voted for the party but boy you really meant to let them have it'?!?

I don't disagree in principle here, Will, it's just that the odds are almost so stacked as to make your vision an impossibility doomed to failure. Try getting a third party candidate onto the ballot in PA, for example.
George Orwell---"1984"
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Heh, seriously. Not that I've been able to vote in many elections yet, but I've yet to see a third-party candidate appear on one of our ballots that wasn't presidential. Hell, the only reason I registered with a party is because we have godawful closed primaries.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Gooberman wrote:I am interested in Mitt Romney if he makes it past the primary. His record is socially liberal, fiscally conservative; and this country hasn't seen one of those in a very long time. He doesn't "talk" that way these days, but I think thats how he would end up in office.

I worry he would pull a John McCain and get an ultra conservative running mate to "fire up the base"
you point up my real problem with Romney. He seems so hell-bent on getting the nomination, I suspect he would go to any extreme. He could actually prove to be far more dangerous due to that fact. Also, I just don't see the intellect, sorry. I see a pure politician, willing to do or say anything to get elected. Say what you wish about Obama, he gets good marks for at least trying to deliver what he promised, under difficult legislative conditions(even in the first two years). Romney was one thing running against Ted Kennedy, another running for governor, another in 2008 and now, morphing a bit more to get into the 2012 race. That isn't a leader...
George Orwell---"1984"
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

a bit of elaboration, re: PA election law.
To get on the ballot as an independent/third party candidate, you have to file a nominating petition, with signatures from a number of voters equal to 1.5% of the total vote in the prior election for that level office.
Further, for statewide or national elections, those petitions(requiring roughly 20-25,000 VALID signatures, have to be circulated in EACH district ONLY by residents of that specific district. This is a near impossible task, requiring the candidate to have over 500 individuals from every part of the state to collect around 30,000 signature, due to the rate of tossouts on challenge.
Think you're going to see many independents on the PA ballot?
George Orwell---"1984"
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

I always knew our state was ass-backwards in so many ways.
Heretic
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral
Location: Why no Krom I didn't know you can have 100 characters in this box.

Post by Heretic »

Seems ehow has a different take on the matter than you do slick.

http://www.ehow.com/list_6864108_pennsy ... -laws.html
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

I suspect Slick is not used to having has “facts” checked.
Heretic
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral
Location: Why no Krom I didn't know you can have 100 characters in this box.

Post by Heretic »

Ehow may not be correct either I just couldn't find the PA law on the web.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Yea, looks like you did jump the gun.

http://www.paballotaccess.org/
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

I can't find the actual law online. It's Pennsylvania Election Code 25 P.S. $2911, where $ is that funky double-s symbol instead. But I was able to dig up some official PA government sources, including court rulings.

According to this page it takes 2000 signatures for a Republican or Democrat to get on a statewide primary ballot for most offices, and winners of major party primaries go on the general ballot with no additional signatures. (The "Nomination Petitions" procedure is used for major parties; "Nominating Papers" is used for others, and despite the similar names, the procedures are quite different.)

As of right now, this page says it takes 19,082 signatures for all others (linked under "signature requirements") to get on the statewide ballot via the "Nominating Papers" route, due to the requirement that the number of signatures equal 2% of the largest vote-getter's votes in the previous election. In one election it took 67,070 signatures, which was challenged as unconstitutional but upheld. For another dry read, try this ruling on a local election.

http://www.paballotaccess.org/ notes that Pennsylvania is an outlier on this front, and legislation has been introduced to reduce the signature requirement to match that of the major parties.
Izchak says: 'slow down. Think clearly.'
April Fools Day is the one day of the year that people critically evaluate news articles before accepting them as true.
Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Gooberman »

you point up my real problem with Romney. He seems so hell-bent on getting the nomination, I suspect he would go to any extreme. He could actually prove to be far more dangerous due to that fact.
They are all that way except Ron Paul, and I can't see him getting the nomination. With Romney, its tough to say, we live in a country where having mixed positions basically disqualifies you form being President.

So what do you do? You either not become president, because our system doesn't allow mixed positions. This just tends to keep things as they are.

Or, you change them, so that you can get elected.

Take for example Obama, I would bet he does support gay rights. He has made some significant, or at least not actively tride to block, strides in that area that his campaign rhetoric didn't suggest.

So would it have been better to for Obama to pull a Ron Paul, only saying exactly how he felt on every issue and thus not getting elected? And thus h/we wouldn't have this change that h/we support?

I just don't think its clear cut.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Heretic wrote:Seems ehow has a different take on the matter than you do slick.

http://www.ehow.com/list_6864108_pennsy ... -laws.html

thems the rules for those filing as a member of one of the two major parties. Independents follow completely different rules. I double-checked and the rule is pegged at 2% of the winning vote total in the previous election at a given level. Same effect, roughly 20-25,000 signatures to run for a statewide race.
George Orwell---"1984"
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Spidey wrote:I suspect Slick is not used to having has “facts” checked.

and, if so, I suspect you are a quick-to-judge type. You can apologize at your convenience, now that you've checked your facts.
George Orwell---"1984"
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Gooberman wrote:
you point up my real problem with Romney. He seems so hell-bent on getting the nomination, I suspect he would go to any extreme. He could actually prove to be far more dangerous due to that fact.
They are all that way except Ron Paul,{/quote]

you know, I had that thought while watching the other night, "damn, Paul may be nuttier than Aunt Emma's fruitcake, but he has kept the same tune for a decade or more".
George Orwell---"1984"
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

callmeslick wrote:
Spidey wrote:I suspect Slick is not used to having has “facts” checked.

and, if so, I suspect you are a quick-to-judge type. You can apologize at your convenience, now that you've checked your facts.
That’s funny, I recall accusing you of the very same thing…I guess that means we are even now.

Here, have a squid :E