Lost In Space

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Lost In Space

Post by flip »

Bernardo Patti, head of the space station program at the European Space Agency (ESA), told The Guardian: "China is a big country. It is a powerful country, and they are getting richer and richer. They want to establish themselves as key players in the international arena."

"They have decided politically that they want to be autonomous, and that is their call. They must have had some political evaluation that suggests this option is better than the others, and I would think autonomy is the key word."
Well it seems China feels they are strong enough to go it alone, seeing as how they were the only ones not to go along. I see and hear nothing of how big a threat China is to our way of life and that seems more ominous to me than China itself. I don't get it.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re: Lost In Space

Post by Top Gun »

And how is China a threat, exactly?
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Ask Greece. Greece was one of only a few true democracies left one earth, if the only one. I'm betting things are gonna change big time for those in Greece now and sudden, rash change is a huge threat.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Maybe I was looking to far down the road with Greece :). Here's a timeline from our friends at the CFR. Considering China's history and their growing dominance, I damn sure don't want them to be the most prominent power in the sky.

http://www.cfr.org/china/us-relations-c ... ent/p17698
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

http://www.cfr.org/region/china/ri271

Seems the Council on Foreign Relations has it's own reservations.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

http://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/ ... hina-wants
As a connoisseur of fine diplomacy, Henry Kissinger finds a lot of it to admire in China. His new book, cast as a history of Chinese foreign policy, traces the twists and turns of Chinese strategy since the establishment of the People's Republic in 1949, quoting liberally from his numerous conversations with Chinese leaders. But On China is really neither history nor memoir. Its purpose is to argue that the United States should yield gracefully to China's rise in order to avoid a tragic conflict.
Aaron Friedberg gives the opposite advice. A Princeton professor and former foreign policy adviser to Vice President Dick Cheney, he analyzes the strategies that China and the United States have used in dealing with each other since the early 1990s and tries to decipher China's intentions in the coming decades. In the face of growing Chinese power and ambition, the United States, he argues, must stand strong in those many areas in which China's interests are adverse to its own. Together, the two books offer a window onto the strategic split over China among mainstream Republicans.
Very interesting read.
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Dakatsu »

I find them a threat simply because they are a growing force in the world that is not democratic.

I wouldn't care if say the European Union, Brazil, or Japan were the new superpower to replace the United States, but the issue is that China is not a democratic nation, and I feel that they should not have legitimate power. While I feel that they are becoming more liberal and enacting reforms, they are nonetheless similar to the Soviet Union; an oligarchy.