Scanning our thoughts

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Scanning our thoughts

Post by Tunnelcat »

Just creepy. Using a functional MRI and computational modeling, medical science is getting closer to actually seeing what our brains are thinking when we see or watch something. They can then show that result as a pictorial representation on a video screen. It's not a perfect translation, but it's still a little weird. I notice that the images of people seem to work out the best.

Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re: Scanning our thoughts

Post by Duper »

Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Thanks Duper.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Pandora
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Pandora »

very impressive. but note that they reconstruct their images from the visual areas of the brain, so its not really "thinking", but a window into the machinery that decodes the external world. and that's a quite truthful representation, with stuff on the left in the world, being on the far right of the visual cortex, etc.

also note that they need need to train their mechanism for hours for each participant before they can decode anything.

still super impressive, though.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

I'm not so sure I'd really want to spend hours with my head in an MRI machine for just about any reason. Being able to read someones brain might be pointless if you melt it in the process. :P
R e v
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by R e v »

Average background radiation exposure ranges from 3.6 - 6 millisievert per year in common studies.

One MRI scan exposed an individual to, on average, about 3.1 millisievert.

Good stuff, you will have a third arm in no time.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Actually the average background radiation dose is about 3.1 millisiverts per year (variable depending on where you are), the 6 figure comes from exposure from medical imaging and the bulk of that is from CT scans. MRI scans don't use ionizing radiation.
Pandora
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Pandora »

what Krom says. fMRI uses magnets, not radiation. Its only dangerous if you have metal in your body (or if you are claustrophobic).
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

Pandora wrote:what Krom says. fMRI uses magnets, not radiation. Its only dangerous if you have metal in your body (or if you are claustrophobic).
...Until some new study comes out showing that it can have negative effects. MRI's are pretty cool, though. Krom's also right that CT scans are the ones that do damage with too much exposure.
Arch Linux x86-64, Openbox
"We'll just set a new course for that empty region over there, near that blackish, holeish thing. " Zapp Brannigan
dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by dissent »

I like the way that they used to just call it NMR, but switched to MRI to remove the word "nuclear" from the medical scanning process; people would get scared, even though their bodies are full of nuclei.
"I've long called these people Religious Maniacs because, of course, they are. I always point out that you don't need a god to be religious maniac; you just need a dogma and a Devil." - Ace @ Ace of SpadesHQ, 13 May 2015, 1900 hr
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Pandora wrote:what Krom says. fMRI uses magnets, not radiation. Its only dangerous if you have metal in your body (or if you are claustrophobic).
Actually, an MRI causes thermal effects on biologic tissues, not just metals. It will phsically heat the tissues it's scanning!

http://www.mrisafety.com/safety_article.asp?subject=179
Pandora
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Pandora »

yup, heating can be an issue, especially when the radiographer doesn't know what he is doing. In general though, if you don't cross your legs you should be fine. I have been in an MRI dozens of times for an hour or more and have never experienced anything.
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

Stuff like this just makes me wonder how long it will be until our dreams are brought to us by lightspeed briefs, or other forced commercial endorsements.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

Avder wrote:Stuff like this just makes me wonder how long it will be until our dreams are brought to us by lightspeed briefs, or other forced commercial endorsements.
Since I rarely remember dreams, does that mean I would have adblock installed even in my brain? :D