RIP, Steve Jobs

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

RIP, Steve Jobs

Post by callmeslick »

....a great innovator.
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Re: RIP, Steve Jobs

Post by Ferno »

a great marketer
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Ferno wrote:a great marketer

I would disagree, and here's why: A marketer sells a product to the public. Jobs presented things to the public that the public didn't realize it wanted until after those things arrived. In a sense, he knew what would sell before there was any indication it could sell. That goes beyond mere marketing, as does the fact that the products his company produced are essentially copied by the rest of the industry. That speaks to innovation.
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
null0010
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by null0010 »

Steve Jobs could sell an icebox to eskimos, but he still doesn't hold a candle to J.R. "Bob" Dobbs.
Fear is the engine that destroys freedom.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

callmeslick wrote: I would disagree, and here's why: A marketer sells a product to the public. Jobs presented things to the public that the public didn't realize it wanted until after those things arrived. In a sense, he knew what would sell before there was any indication it could sell. That goes beyond mere marketing, as does the fact that the products his company produced are essentially copied by the rest of the industry. That speaks to innovation.
by using words like 'revolutionary', 'magical', et all, you drum up interest that help move product. Other companies copying what apple does is simply a matter of going with what works. I have to admit, he made a hell of an impact by turning the complex into the simple. Turning what could be cludgy* into something silky smooth. And I think that was his true innovation.

*cludgy, used in this context is a combination of inelegant and awkward
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Marketeers are from Disney, because they are Mouseketeers: fact.
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-★ ·:*¨༺꧁༺ :E ༻꧂༻¨*:·.★-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Steve Jobs was a visionary, plain and simple. He took those around him and directed and focused their talents to achieve his vision. That makes him a true leader. I will say God Bless Linus and all those early hackers though, they saved us from a world of hurt from people like Steve Jobs.
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

Gogo hackers
Arch Linux x86-64, Openbox
"We'll just set a new course for that empty region over there, near that blackish, holeish thing. " Zapp Brannigan
null0010
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by null0010 »

Steve Jobs was a tax-evading CEO who employed what was and is essentially slave labor in China so his company could sell overpriced overmarketed nonsense to Americans. Plus, he was evil. I refuse to fondly reminiscence about such a man.
Fear is the engine that destroys freedom.
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

As I stated in the other thread..... I wasn't a fan, but I hope his family is able to properly mourn their loss.
Arch Linux x86-64, Openbox
"We'll just set a new course for that empty region over there, near that blackish, holeish thing. " Zapp Brannigan