dyndns

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

TOR_LordRaven
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

dyndns

Post by TOR_LordRaven »

Anyone have experience with dyndns.org ?
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Re: dyndns

Post by fliptw »

been using it for nearly a decade.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Use their auto-updater program. Some routers can update the IP address but most of them only do it when the IP changes so the domain expires after 30 days, the dyndns updater program keeps the domain alive even if the IP doesn't change, and it uses very little memory or resources.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

You can tell dyndns.org you have a static IP.

it actually bitched about the IP not changing during the twice weekly update that DD-WRT defaulted to.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

I'd imagine you wouldn't need the auto-updating program for any of the popular open source router firmwares. I can personally vouch for the Tomato variants as well.
TOR_LordRaven
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by TOR_LordRaven »

yeah, its all on the router - gotta love DD-WRT...

My question pertains to more than one domain name.

I have several i host off my home PC (using WAMP), but was wondering if anyone has experience with multiple domain names through dyndns

What i am trying to do is get each site on its own...

Currently everything is under a sub-folder of my own domain (sitename.com/sites/blah )
And their .com address is setup as a auto-forwarder to that using frames (So joe end user cannot tell)

So far this has worked fine as most of my "Clients" are relatives or family friends and they don't care much. (I wouldn't expect them to complain as its all done for free anyhow - lol)
I have one client who is not family who may complain about it. Building him a site as Trade Services.

Any thoughts?
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

You could for a relatively low price buy professional hosting and your own domain name with unlimited subdomains and just run the whole thing on that.

Doing so also helps since running servers is usually a ToS violation on most ISPs (unless you have a business account, then its usually fine).
Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Thenior »

x2 on what Krom said. I run the HostPro/plan at Site5. Been very impressed with the speed and support. I get 600k to 1m download speeds from the server.