Catholic U

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Catholic U

Post by woodchip »

Well now, seems a Catholic University should not have all those damn crucifix's tucked about in all their rooms. Seems some Muslim students are taking offense:

"GWU Law School Professor John Banzhaf takes the Catholic institution to task for acting “probably with malice” against Muslim students in a 60-page complaint that cites ”offensive” Catholic imagery all over the Catholic school, which he says hinder Muslims from praying."

http://blog.beliefnet.com/news/2011/10/ ... rayers.php

Ummm good Sir, just what would you expect at a Catholic University? Stars of David? A Crescent Moon? I guess I'm a bit confused. Should Catholic churchs then be required to have cross free rooms in case a muslim wants to visit? Aren't Christians apostate to the Muslim faith? How can a good Muslim go to a Christian school. Won't they be beheaded by a true believer? Somebody help me out here so I can better understand the logic.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re: Catholic U

Post by Spidey »

The only logic here is…people love to whine.
Heretic
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral
Location: Why no Krom I didn't know you can have 100 characters in this box.

Post by Heretic »

What logic is there for any Muslim to be going to a Religious oriented school other than Islamic?
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

They will use one to erode the other.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

It sounds like this guy has a history of making frivolous complaints. Nothing to see here.
null0010
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by null0010 »

If the university is receiving government funding in any way, I think it is a valid complaint. Otherwise, they can do whatever they want with their religious icons.
Fear is the engine that destroys freedom.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

I guarantee you the next 50 years will not provide opportunity for denial, except for one maybe.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

human rights violation?

I think this guy took a rather hard knock to the head.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

“Normally I would have confidence that this lawsuit will be deemed without merit, but the way things are going these days, I just can’t be sure anymore. Simply incredible.”
Aint dat da troof.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Spidey wrote:The only logic here is…people love to whine.

second time in a day I completely agree with Spidey. "Acted with malice"?? That fellow needs to:1) get a grip and 2) get out of teaching before he passes that level of stupid on to an unsuspecting underclassman. Yeesh.
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

I have to say that I'm increasingly happy that I majored in the hard sciences, as rough as my college experience may have been. If any of my professors had asinine opinions like this one, at least I didn't have to hear them in class. It's difficult to politicize quantum mechanics. :P
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Top Gun wrote:I have to say that I'm increasingly happy that I majored in the hard sciences, as rough as my college experience may have been. If any of my professors had asinine opinions like this one, at least I didn't have to hear them in class. It's difficult to politicize quantum mechanics. :P

you got a University degree in science without 1/3 of your coursework being Liberal Arts? Amazing, it didn't work that way when I got a Biochemistry degree. Oh, and I've heard some asinine opinions spouted by science profs, too. Grad school was more the occaision for Scientists pontificating. I had a prof(brilliant guy, btw) for Molecular Genetics that would spend a whole lecture day in a grad level course going on about the geese nesting in his yard. Then, at the end of an hour and a half, he would write ten journal article references on the blackboard, and that was the subject matter for the day. Professors are unique and special souls. The one cited in this article is just a flat-out loon.
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

I think I managed to test out of half my general requirements from AP scores in high school, so yeah, I didn't have much in the way of liberal arts to deal with.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Top Gun wrote:I think I managed to test out of half my general requirements from AP scores in high school, so yeah, I didn't have much in the way of liberal arts to deal with.
wow, all I got were 4 credits each in English and History and 8 in French. Still left me with around 9 lib arts minimum to graduate. In my case, I took more, to get a Fine Arts minor.
George Orwell---"1984"