SOPA

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

SOPA

Post by []V[]essenjah »

So, I have to write an informative paper for my English class. I figured I would write about online piracy and the SOPA act as it needs to be unbiased and informative.

I need some recent information on the SOPA act. I read about it before Christmas but I haven't kept track of what is going on with it recently. Any information on where it is going at current would be great.
Heretic
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral
Location: Why no Krom I didn't know you can have 100 characters in this box.

Re: SOPA

Post by Heretic »

Far as I know the bill is laying around everyone seems to be backpedaling from it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/16/techn ... .html?_r=1
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Here's something interesting along those lines that will be put into Windows 8 on the PC. Another end around way to control what we have on our computers. If they can't stop people from downloading illegal stuff, they will just delete it without your input. It's already been a standard part of tablets, smart phones and e-readers. :twisted:

The Killswitch
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

At least it only applies to whatever comes from their app store, which I couldn't see myself using anyway. We can still have all the shady fun we want with normal programs. :twisted:
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

On the software kill switch: It would be wrong for the government to do something like that, but it is perfectly fine and acceptable for private industry.

However, there probably would be some exceptions that wouldn't work even for private industry. Like say Mozilla got Firefox in this app store of Microsoft's, and then Microsoft used the kill switch on it, or Open Office, or Google Chrome, or any other legitimate product that competes with a Microsoft product. Then it would probably be raining antitrust lawsuits and fines at Microsoft headquarters like a category 10 hurricane... :P
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

The better approach to trying to shut out competitors is not to let them into the app-store in the first place, but that's still anticompetitive. I'm not sure what sort of regulations apply to these "kill switches" - but I do imagine it'd be hard to get away with using it for anything but malware deletion. Even copyright enforcement is such a hot potato I'd be surprised if MS would do it without a court order. I bet the RIAA/MPAA (or as a friend likes to dub them collectively, "MAFIAA") would love it though.
Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Thenior »

Good video on SOPA http://yoast.com/stop-sopa/
Aggressor Prime
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Aggressor Prime »

Note to self: Don't buy from Microsoft's app store.