Do you dream of Descent?

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Naphtha
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Do you dream of Descent?

Post by Naphtha »

Sorry if this isn't in the right place; I thought the other areas were just too specific to the games themselves. :P

But yeah, am I the only one who's actually had dreams that involve Descent in some way? I remember a few— even from before I rebought the game from GOG.com— where basically I think I was actually in the Pyro's cockpit, flying through different areas reminiscent of the Levels of the World submissions (I recognize some of the parts I remember from either "Creeping Death" or "Gehenna," and another part from "Lupis" Level 6). It's happened multiple times and I usually ended up being freaked out by stronger baddies like the Fusion Hulks in the dreams... a lot more than I would just playing the game, that is. :mrgreen:

I think I remember another part where I made it to the exit in time, but it turned out to be a fake exit with the real one much further up a spiraling tunnel and basically out-of-reach given the amount of time that was left. It was either I died in the mine or I woke up.

Has anyone else ever had dreams involving the games?
First Lieutenant for the Red Dragons in the Descent Rangers. Join our ranks today!
Sapphire Wolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re: Do you dream of Descent?

Post by Sapphire Wolf »

I had a strange Descent dream back then when I'm playing a LOTW level (back then when I don't have internet) called Halley's Comet and then I encountered multiple d1 bosses that are in super large rooms. Even though for real, there are no robots in that level.
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

I've had many, many dreams of flying a Pyro around fantastic landscapes and caverns. The robots are there too. I usually wake up and say "Yeah that was awesome!"
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

no
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

I've never had all that many Descent dreams, strangely, though I've had plenty from other games. (Minecraft's definitely invading my subconscious at the moment.) I do remember once dreaming up a "Descent 4" that looked absolutely amazing. So much for fantasies. :P
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Vision has an unlimited and open mind.
sdfgeoff
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by sdfgeoff »

Yup, but not often.
Mainly things morph and do weird things, like most dreams. So I may suddenly find that my pyro has a random third weapon slot, or maybe some mega afterburner, or in-level warp, or that a random bot appears that can actually fight properly (not like the D3 pyro enemies either, who in my opinion, cheat by not shooting straight, never mind that that makes them easier to beat.)
Other places have and do appear, such as my house. Ever flown a pyro up your driveway? Wish that would happen outside a dream.
Blegh, lots of fun.

BTW, friend of mine drew out a map from a descent dream! Quite a good one too.
Eh?
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Now if we're counting daydreams, I can't count how many times I've wished I was driving a Pyro while stuck in a traffic jam. :P
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

I remember once I made a DBB post right before I went to bed and then dreamt about the DBB. Talk about a nightmare. ;)
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Top Gun wrote:Now if we're counting daydreams, I can't count how many times I've wished I was driving a Pyro while stuck in a traffic jam. :P
Amen brother.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

I have a few... most of them have stronger or wierder undefeatable robots (like a pack of homing missiles that shoots homing missiles at me -- and I think there was a mine disguised as a shield boost too :D), but there was this one that had the Material Defender riding a motorcycle instead of a pyro, through a dystopian futuristic 1984-esque city (ruled by Dravis instead of Big Brother -- you could see his head on signs and screens everywhere), and apparently heading a resistance to stop this evil overlord (maybe this is what would happen if Dravis won at the end of D3?). It involved the Lego Racers logo too for some wierd reason.

Generally my other nightmares are infinitely cooler though -- a swarm of killer centipedes and beetles has taken over the Earth, forcing people to form an underground resistance... Trapped in a strange school, I get turned into a stone statue by a statue of a bespectacled vampire, then awake (still in the dream) as a strange monster... And sometimes there are literary references -- I think the school one was based on Narnia :P. All of them end just before I can find out who wins though! Or sometimes I know I'm dreaming, and I have to suicide to wake up, but for some reason I'm terrified of dying in a dream... That's a very strange phobia don't you think?
And last night there was this mysterious, gold feathery queen who turned into a weasel-gryphon. But I don't remember anything more than that.

And these dreams are entirely natural!
Ship's cat, MPSV Iberia: beware of cat.
Beware my original music, at http://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden.
Descer
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Descer »

In first I Found Medium Lifters in strance places (card board box, in hays). In second I played D2 levels and in 1 o' 'em I saved hostages between water flows. In 3rd I multiplay raced in D3Ice level.
It's just a game. Face it.
Aggressor Prime
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Aggressor Prime »

Before Descent 3 came out, I had a Descent dream about what the new "10" missile would be. It was glorious, more glorious than the Black Shark.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

:o

What was it?
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

Ive had dreams that had descent-like elements to them, but descent has never been the primary focus of my dreams.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Nothing like the desire to 'Fusion bump' in traffic... So many times

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Lol, you don't know how many times I pulled the trigger on an imaginary gauss ;)
Aggressor Prime
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Aggressor Prime »

Alter-Fox wrote::o

What was it?
It was like the Earthshaker missile, but with a lot more bang, color, and flash, as if the ES didn't have enough of that. Also, it was HUGE! I don't know how my Pyro-GX held it.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

I can picture that. I love the gravity sink though. And the way the initials of the only weapon that is actually mentioned in D3's story describe the story perfectly.

I don't like dreaming of Descent because it means I'm not having a better dream. Descent isn't surreal enough to be a good dream.
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

Alter-Fox wrote:Descent isn't surreal enough to be a good dream.
Play more 4D levels with ugly textures!
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

So, Levels of the World?
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

Sirius wrote:So, Levels of the World?
Exactly!*

*Except for Luke's levels...
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

That's not surreal enough to be a good dream.
I could tell you how surreal it would have to be but...
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

Well I had a great metaphorical dream with one Descent reference. But the Descent reference was more of an obnoxious intrusion than the point of the dream. It did get Triton Storage Depot almost perfect though -- except for an extra door and slightly deeper colours.
The dream had a great story but I woke up after only the exposition :( .
I guess I'll have to write the rest.
Enzo-03
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Enzo-03 »

Once dreamed of having a thiefbot steal stuff from me over and over again when I was little. :)

Specifically, when I say steal stuff from me, I mean approaching me, clawing at me and running off with a missile or something :)
We will not have signatures in the future.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

I once dreamed I tri-chorded around a corner, did a 4 point roll and killed 3 opponents without taking any damage. No wait, that really happened. :P
Enzo-03
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Enzo-03 »

Every now and then when I play VVeins I get into a "zone" where for no good reason I'm able to asskick my way to the other side, grab the flag, and asskick my way back, then wonder wtf happened. TGEA once commented that he'd never seen me play that good before. I kinda brown out through doing this as well.
Like all other times it happens, it's usually only that one run. Then I'm back to flying/aiming so bad it's depressing. Not as bad nowadays since I switched to a more logical and easier to use config.

Never dreamed about doing good in a match, sadly.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Haven't dreamed of Descent in awhile, but last night I had a wonderful dream in which I got to fly the Millennium Falcon with Han Solo as co-pilot :shock: (yes, he was willing to let me drive in my dream). Gawd that was fun! I'd sure like to go back into that dream again tonight. :wink:
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Have you ever played a game for hours before going to bed, only to see patterns of the game's movement when you close your eyes?
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-★ ·:*¨༺꧁༺ :E ༻꧂༻¨*:·.★-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Heh, the Tetris Effect? I've had that recently with Minecraft. I look at everything and see a bunch of squares put together. :P
Heretic
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral
Location: Why no Krom I didn't know you can have 100 characters in this box.

Post by Heretic »

I been playing Spiderman Shattered Dimensions plus I'm on a med that causes unusual dreams. Tell you what I've had best dreams I have ever had lately.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Heh, reminds me of Demerol. There must be someway to tap into those visions without the use of pharmaceuticals.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Isaac wrote:Have you ever played a game for hours before going to bed, only to see patterns of the game's movement when you close your eyes?
Yeah, that I definitely have. There's no correlation as to whether it translates into dreams though (I think there was a Starcraft game in one recently, but I hadn't played it for many months).

The simpler the game, the more likely it is to do this.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Isaac wrote:Have you ever played a game for hours before going to bed, only to see patterns of the game's movement when you close your eyes?
Yep, but there is another downside to playing on the computer right before bedtime, especially when one gets older. It's not just the adrenaline rush either.

http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/ne ... lose-sleep
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Enzo-03
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Enzo-03 »

I've recently had some dreams which continue around where they left off the previous night. I love that.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Enzo-03 wrote:I've recently had some dreams which continue around where they left off the previous night. I love that.
I think you're being "inceptioned".
-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-★ ·:*¨༺꧁༺ :E ༻꧂༻¨*:·.★-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-