being against Obama doesn't mean you're racist....

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

being against Obama doesn't mean you're racist....

Post by callmeslick »

....but really, folks, isn't it time for universal outcry over stuff like this? From a Federal Judge, no less. The level of personal, mean spirited disrespect for the sitting President has long since gotten disgusting. It far outstrips anything aimed at GWB and I found some of that to be very distasteful. Sad to say, racism is still very much alive and well. So much for post-racial America......sad.

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninsca ... udge_s.php
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re: being against Obama doesn't mean you're racist....

Post by Tunnelcat »

I saw that the other night. What an ill informed man to have as a judge. Hope he gets kicked off the bench. There are many other reasons to not like Obama. He's done his share of political knife jobs, so call him out on those if you don't like him, but don't make derogatory jokes of his race and birthright.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

kind of tasteless but I still lol'd.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

I had to laugh as well, but I think the guy on the website has interpreted the joke thru his own lens.

I don’t think the joke implies Obama’s father was a dog, the way I read it, in a more classic fashion, was…the mother “also” slept with a dog, at that party.

So, some of the blatant racism here may be at the eyes of the beholder. (so far as the father being a dog)

Not to say that makes the joke any more acceptable to be told in public.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

yeah the only reason people are getting bent out of shape over this is well.. they just don't know how to take a joke.

Was it said with malicious intent? no. was it a momentary lack of judgement? maybe. was it funny? probably.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

If Obama was white the joke would have still worked, just nobody would be crying racist (but they probably would still be crying tasteless).
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Krom wrote:If Obama was white the joke would have still worked, just nobody would be crying racist (but they probably would still be crying tasteless).
if the boy was white, the joke doesn't work, since the opening line makes no sense. That said, it was both crude and tasteless. It showed remarkably bad judgement for a Federal judge to be circulating it, and the fact that the nitwit(or anyone here for that matter) found it to be either funny or 'precious' is repulsive. And, more than a bit sad.
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

I find it curious how the left brings up some joke passed via email by a obscure judge is viewed with appalling distaste. Yet I suspect these same people viewed with delight the tasteless pedophilia joke
Letterman presented on national TV, or Anderson Cooper using the term Tea Bagger when discussing the Tea Party members. How many of the people going tsk tsk over the Obama joke were saying anything about the comments made about Condoleeza Rice or Colin Powell when they worked for Bush?
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Post by CUDA »

or when the left was comparing Bush and the GOP to Nazi's. :roll:

ya it's all fun and games until someone loses an eye. :P

and the left will never hold themselves to the same standards that they hold the right when there is a question about race. they can call Rice and Powell all sorts of foul things, but if you even question Obama as a President (this subject excluded) then you MUST be a racist. it's quite pathetic actually.
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

woodchip wrote:I find it curious how the left brings up some joke passed via email by a obscure judge is viewed with appalling distaste. Yet I suspect these same people viewed with delight the tasteless pedophilia joke
Letterman presented on national TV, or Anderson Cooper using the term Tea Bagger when discussing the Tea Party members. How many of the people going tsk tsk over the Obama joke were saying anything about the comments made about Condoleeza Rice or Colin Powell when they worked for Bush?

well, I'm hardly very far left....tending to the moderate wing of the Dem party. And, for what it's worth, Letterman's joke(regarding Palin's daughter, iirc) was tasteless at the very least. On the other hand, I don't see anything really offensive about the term Tea Baggers. Sure, it's a bit disparaging, but that is as far as it goes. I don't travel in circles, I suppose, that I remember hearing anything too bad about RIce or Powell, but I am quite sure some fools were out there with racist comments, and those would have been disgusting to me as well. We, as a nation, ought to be past that.
Returning to the matter in this example.....first off, this wasn't some 'obscure' judge. It was a Federal District Justice, with a lifetime appointment by a sitting President(Bush), confirmed by the Senate. His only route to early retirement is impeachment, and we all know that bill isn't coming out of this House of Representatives. The second core point is that this 'joke' is yet another example of the extreme disrespect aimed at a sitting President by people who think themselves to be 'decent' Americans. They aren't. I dare anyone to cite me an example accusing Barbara Bush, or Bill Clinton's mom or Rose Kennedy of immoral behavior, and having such an accusation be considered 'acceptable' or 'funny' or, for godsakes 'touching'. One example, please....
George Orwell---"1984"
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Does anyone else find this thread all at once both amusing and frustrating?

"Look what ___ said about ____! That's worse than anything the other way!"

"No way! Look at what ___ said about ____! That's worse!"

:roll: :P

From my perspective, the level of partisan junk fired at the two most recent Presidents... is equally ridiculous. The only real difference is that Obama's skin color has amplified the racial issues, but the crap is still coming from both sides.

Liberals cry, "there's a lot of latent racism in things said about Obama", and conservatives cry, "I can't say anying about Obama without being called racist". And unfortunately... there's enough truth in both of those statements to create a vicious circle where we can't even discuss non-racial issues without it devolving into partisan bull****. :?
Enzo-03
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Enzo-03 »

Reminds me of the time I once said I was against illegal immigration but encouraged legal immigration...

...and was accused of hating all Hispanics and Mexicans. :roll:

Complete agreement with Foil.

But I know quite a few people who wouldn't want to read/hear that.
We will not have signatures in the future.
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Post by CUDA »

agree Foil.
my only issue with this whole thing is the fact that if you are on the right and make a comment that is interpreted or even perceived to be racist you are blasted. but if you are on the left, you can make outright racist and derogatory comments and the lame street media and those on the left just dismiss it. there is a CLEAR double standard.
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
Enzo-03
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Enzo-03 »

I would say that may be exaggerating it a bit, but that could be largely from not paying as much attention to any news as much as I probably should be.

Wouldn't be surprised at all if it were the case.
We will not have signatures in the future.
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by CUDA »

Rush was a fool for his comments and should be suspended.

here are just a few examples where there was virtually no word about this by the lame stream media, showing the pure double standards they display.
Joe Biden wrote: "I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy... I mean, that's a storybook, man.
Rev. Al Sharpton wrote: "White folks was in caves while we was building empires... We taught philosophy and astrology and mathematics before Socrates and them Greek homos ever got around to it."
Bill Clinton wrote: "A few years ago, this guy would have been getting us coffee.
"allegedly" said to Teddy about Barack
Diane Watson wrote: (State Senator, CA)
"He's married to a white woman. He wants to be white. He wants a colorless society. He has no ethnic pride. He doesn't want to be black." [Said about black conservative Ward Connerly in 1996]
Joe Biden wrote:"You cannot go to a 7-11 or Dunkin Donuts unless you have a slight Indian Accent."
"You'd find these potentates from down in Africa, you know, rather than eating each other, they'd just come up and get a good square meal in Geneva."
-- Fritz Hollings (D, S.C.)
Blacks and Hispanics are "too busy eating watermelons and tacos" to learn how to read and write." -- Mike Wallace, CBS News.
"In the days of slavery, there were those slaves who lived on the plantation and [there] were those slaves that lived in the house. You got the privilege of living in the house if you served the master ... exactly the way the master intended to have you serve him. Colin Powell's committed to come into the house of the master. When Colin Powell dares to suggest something other than what the master wants to hear, he will be turned back out to pasture."
-- Harry Belafonte
(On Clarence Thomas) "A handkerchief-head, chicken-and-biscuit-eating Uncle Tom." -- Spike Lee
MSN commentator Donny Deutsch wrote: You almost need that blank piece of paper. That's the new model. Like, you know, this coconut Rubio down in Florida."
coconut is a derogatory term to describe Hispanics, much like calling blacks uncle Toms

so I wish the left leaning members of this board would have the same voracity in calling out their own party on this issue as they have in calling out the other party.
but somehow i thing I'll get hammered for this post just the same.

― Theodore Roosevelt
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

you shouldn't get hammered, CUDA, wrong is wrong. And, in any heated discourse(politics and religion are popular here), you are going to get hyperbole. Key to any analysis are the source and context. No one who knows Joe Biden, or heard him speak viewed, for example, his Indian 7/11 remark as anything but a testament to the hard work that immigrants have demonstrated. Spike Lee's remarks, along with Al Sharpton, exemplify the hard-left's race-baiting tactics, which YOU KNOW I have long decried.
Where the above 'joke' got to me was that the butt of the joke wasn't Obama, it was his mother. Really? We've sunk that low, as a society, that decent people don't rise up and slap that sort of crap down? Say what you all wish about George Bush commentary, and some of it was VERY mean-spirited, I don't recall one 'joke' aimed at Barbara, at least any impugning her personal mores or the like. Therein lies my point. Foil's counter is fair enough, but at what point does the citizenry stand up and demand adult debate and discourse, without hate-speech, tasteless 'jokes', and outright lies to bolster a position? This crap is literally killing the US, more than ANY available ideology. In other words, we would be better off in a Communist Collective society or a Dickensian Land of Sweatshop Capitalism if we could, as a people, reason our way toward improving the lot of all of us. But, that isn't where we are. We are in a state of perpetual mudslinging, selling cute 'soundbites' and loudly repeating lies, and then, the bulk of us sit and wonder where we are going and why we are sitting in this handbasket.
George Orwell---"1984"
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by CUDA »

callmeslick wrote:Say what you all wish about George Bush commentary, and some of it was VERY mean-spirited, I don't recall one 'joke' aimed at Barbara, at least any impugning her personal mores or the like.
I can't say I remember any either. HOWEVER that all changed in the political Arena when the left got hold of Sarah Palin. to label some of the comments said about her and her family as shameful would be an understatement. they were indeed vile and viscous.

it seems that that it what has become of the political arena, there is nothing off limits. from your personal life to the life of your children, and even your parents. it's a sad statement to what we are becoming.
If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labeled a radical 60 years ago, a liberal 30 years ago and a racist today.
Thomas Sowell

― Theodore Roosevelt
Zuruck
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Zuruck »

Yeah well she's a whore, what do you expect us to say??
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

CUDA wrote: that all changed in the political Arena when the left got hold of Sarah Palin. to label some of the comments said about her and her family as shameful would be an understatement. they were indeed vile and viscous.
uh, much of that was brought on by her tone of attack, although I will agree a lot of it was over the top. Interestingly, the nastiest dirt I've seen aimed her way came from McCain's own staffers.
it seems that that it what has become of the political arena, there is nothing off limits. from your personal life to the life of your children, and even your parents. it's a sad statement to what we are becoming.
to which I'll say(non-religiously, of course) Amen. I wondered, aloud, back in 2008, why Obama would willingly walk into what he surely knew was coming, but he is a strong man, and Michelle is tough as nails. Thankfully, I have seen few, if any, attacks on the children, so I suppose there is a glimmer of hope, if one wishes to be optimistic.
George Orwell---"1984"
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

callmeslick wrote:
I don't recall one 'joke' aimed at Barbara, at least any impugning her personal mores or the like.
No but Bush's daughters were targets:

"Remember back in January when Matt Stone and Trey Parker, creators of “South Park,” announced their new Comedy Central show, “That’s My Bush”? They proclaimed that their new show would be “barely legal,” because it would feature the Bush daughters depicted as “hot and sexy lesbian lovers” engaging in oral sex. They backed off – under pressure – but even they weren’t the first to exploit Jenna and Barbara. Back in the fall, prior to the election, even George Magazine got in on the act. In a page on fashion, George juxtaposed photos of the Bush daughters in skimpy halter and tube tops with photos of the covered-up Gore daughters. The implication was very clear."

Once again Slick tries for selective deflection.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

tries for what? Seriously, Woodchip, you look pathetic when you have to reach that far..... I didn't see it, likely because it never aired. Which, if you think about it, means that someone had the decency to slap the creators down. As for the George article, I never saw that, just because I never found the magazine the least bit interesting. Still, I asked for examples of Barbara, you found none. In fact, your example of indignation from George magazine sort of sounds like a lame stretch, as it was YOUR reading of the intent, and I suspect neither set of offspring really appeared outrageous. Further, and even tackier, is the fact that the joke cited by me at the outset impugned the dignity of a person who died years ago. Pure class. Find me the equal, if you want a project to keep yourself occupied.
George Orwell---"1984"
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

All this trying to be top victim is making me want to pukeski.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Spidey wrote:All this trying to be top victim is making me want to pukeski.
attaboy, miss a point completely. I don't read anyone as trying to outdo, merely make comparisons, some good, some not so good. None of it, seemingly, diminishes my original point, though, does it? At least your stomach stays settled when you think of JFK, I hope. :wink:
George Orwell---"1984"
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Your original point was taken…but then it got drowned in the pissing contest.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

callmeslick wrote:
Spidey wrote:All this trying to be top victim is making me want to pukeski.
attaboy, miss a point completely. I don't read anyone as trying to outdo, merely make comparisons, some good, some not so good. None of it, seemingly, diminishes my original point, though, does it? At least your stomach stays settled when you think of JFK, I hope. :wink:
I guess you didn't read JFK's interns autobiography. Makes Clinton a piker by comparison.
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by CUDA »

Zuruck wrote:Yeah well she's a whore, what do you expect us to say??
:roll:
Yea why did I expect any less from the forum troll

right to my point Slick. no one from the left on this forum called him on this. you included.
calling her a whore is as offensive as calling Obama a ★■◆●.

― Theodore Roosevelt
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Yes, it's like the right and left are exactly the same type of people, just carrying different flags.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

flip wrote:Yes, it's like the right and left are exactly the same type of people, just carrying different flags.
x2
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

callmeslick wrote:tries for what? Seriously, Woodchip, you look pathetic when you have to reach that far..... I didn't see it, likely because it never aired. Which, if you think about it, means that someone had the decency to slap the creators down. As for the George article, I never saw that, just because I never found the magazine the least bit interesting. Still, I asked for examples of Barbara, you found none. In fact, your example of indignation from George magazine sort of sounds like a lame stretch, as it was YOUR reading of the intent, and I suspect neither set of offspring really appeared outrageous. Further, and even tackier, is the fact that the joke cited by me at the outset impugned the dignity of a person who died years ago. Pure class. Find me the equal, if you want a project to keep yourself occupied.
Well I guess it is a sad commentary that you put a mother over the daughters. To me they are equally sad when you make crude jokes about them. What is Pathetic Slick is your inept ability to understand that both instances involved family members. So continue to try to deflect around the examples I post in the hopes you can lessen the fact your side is perhaps the more vile in their commentary. While much has been said about Rushs statements about Sandra Fluke, where was the firestorm for Bill Maher statements?:

Maher has called Palin a “dumb twat” and dropped the C-word in describing the former Alaska governor. He called Palin and Congresswoman Bachmann “boobs” and “two bimbos.” He said of the former vice-presidential candidate, “She is not a mean girl. She is a crazy girl with mean ideas.” He recently made a joke about Rick Santorum’s wife using a vibrator. Imagine now the same joke during the 2008 primary with Michelle Obama’s name in it, and tell me that he would still have a job. Maher said of a woman who was harassed while breast-feeding at an Applebee’s, “Don't show me your tits!” as though a woman feeding her child is trying to flash Maher. (Here’s a way to solve his problem: don’t stare at a strangers’ breasts). Then, his coup de grâce: “And by the way, there is a place where breasts and food do go together. It’s called Hooters!”

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/wil ... 33200.html

Pretty humorous stuff eh Slick? I'm still waiting for that concerned family man Obama to return the Million dollar donation Maher gave to Obama's re-election campaign. I'd hold my breath until he does but I'm not suicidal.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

The right has to learn how to play up being the victim…take roid as the perfect example:

The guy makes a remark about the ”3 brothers” Woody, CUDA and myself…saying and I quote “These are the kind of people the world can do without” And I have to hand it to those two for taking it like a champ.

But, when I handed roid the same crap he was handing out…he started crying like a baby.

So work on your “victim” skills people.
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by CUDA »

Spidey wrote:The right has to learn how to play up being the victim…take roid as the perfect example:
I've never been good at that and I'm too old to start now :P
The guy makes a remark about the ”3 brothers” Woody, CUDA and myself…saying and I quote “These are the kind of people the world can do without” And I have to hand it to those two for taking it like a champ.
that's why I don't pay attention to some people who post on this forum
But, when I handed roid the same crap he was handing out…he started crying like a baby.
:mrgreen:
So work on your “victim” skills people.
ain't gonna do it. wouldn't be prudent

― Theodore Roosevelt
Zuruck
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Zuruck »

Maher gave it to a super pac woody...don't think Obama can return it.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Obama could make a public statement against the donation
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Spidey, Roid got himself too deep into the black mind arts and now can't find his way out. :wink:
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Heh!
Andersen
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Andersen »

The best federal judge in Montana has come under fire for forwarding an email containing a racial "joke" about President Obama. The judge has apologized, although some feel he should step down. Experts, however, say he will likely stay in his office, unscathed.

http://www.newsytype.com/14863-judge-ap ... ist-email/

Personally, I think the joke was not racist because it did not say anything about black people. But I guess the joke was worse than being racist. NO one has the right to mock the memory of one's mother. The mother of the president has long gone and the judge did not respect that fact. We all know that judges have earned higher education but what happened to this judge?
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Welcome to the cuckoo nest Andersen
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

roid did this roid did that
i don't really remember that too well.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Welcome back Roid. Glad to see you are still out and about.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

I've spent a few hours catching up with everything i've posted here over the past 4 years (so far).
You've had a lot of dressings down at my hand Spidey, and i think you've had 1 or 2 adorable little freak-outs about me in NHB.
My past few years of occasional sporatic posting - only comming back to the DBBs every now and again (i think this time i was away a whole year) have been mostly because i'm bored with the state of things. But i do recall, chronologically leading upto that, an increasing frustration - which lead to an increasing honestly and raw frankness to my threads and posts, sizeable cracks forming in my manner which had previously been rather polite and inclusive. I inevitably questioned why i was here at all, coming to a realisation that i was getting very little outof it, a diet low in personally rewarding events. I suppose what freaked you out was me trying my hand at communicating this... frustration.
Is this close to what you're talking about Spidey?