D2 multiplayer - try to top this...

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

D2 multiplayer - try to top this...

Post by Sirius »

Ever wanted to see how someone who is actually really good at the game plays Descent? Skunk uploaded a pretty good example today, going 50-10 against a field with some pilots who were no pushovers themselves. :)

It's even a tiny bit disorienting to my eyes at times due to how much banking he does.
ryguy64
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Re: D2 multiplayer - try to top this...

Post by ryguy64 »

It's always fun to see the game from the perspective of a skilled pilot. I think though, that if I tried to emulate his style, I'd end up upside down, backwards and dead.
Enzo-03
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Enzo-03 »

Same.

It's kinda how I always wished I could play.

Last time I remember Skunk though, he was posting all the lyrics to YMCA in Kali chat.
We will not have signatures in the future.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

HACK!!!!!

:mrgreen:

great vid.

That's about how I used to fly when I was at the top of my game only with a bit more frenzy. Talk about exhausting.

He has a great used of gun swapping and situational awareness. And no rears on too!

Well done Skunk! (if you ever look in here!)
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Enzo-03 wrote:Last time I remember Skunk though, he was posting all the lyrics to YMCA in Kali chat.
Probably a while ago, but that totally sounds like something he would have done.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Besides the obvious awesome display of skills, what really sticks out to me in that video is how much trouble I have picking out other ships in D2, which is something I noticed back when the Revivals were going on. (Speaking of, anyone heard from Stealth or Phaser over the past few years?) I think it's a combination of the GX model being a fairly dull color, and the weapon graphics filling so much of your field of view right after you fire them. I'm amazed that someone's able to lay down something Plasma with that kind of accuracy.
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

Kind of reminds me a bit of how I used to fly in D1 back when I was in my prime. Banking all over the place. Does not surprise me at all that someone of Skunks caliber would fly like that.

The key was always to fine tune your aim with your slide keys instead of your joystick.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

I don't have time to watch all of it. He looks pretty skilly, but I have a better question than all yours

Why does every community on the internet have at least one person called Skunk? Seriously, you wouldn't think they could be that popular would you? What is it that attracts people to naming themselves after that kind of foul-tempered; unpleasantly armed beast? Or did I just answer myself?
Ship's cat, MPSV Iberia: beware of cat.
Beware my original music, at http://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Alter-Fox wrote:Why does every community on the internet have at least one person called Skunk?
Dictionary wrote:Skunk:
verb (used with object)
Slang . to defeat thoroughly in a game, especially while keeping an opponent from scoring
:wink:
ryguy64
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by ryguy64 »

Foil wrote:
Dictionary wrote:verb (used with object)
Slang . to defeat thoroughly in a game, especially while keeping an opponent from scoring
:wink:
Skunk definitely lives up to that definition.
Enzo-03
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Enzo-03 »

Top Gun wrote:Besides the obvious awesome display of skills, what really sticks out to me in that video is how much trouble I have picking out other ships in D2, which is something I noticed back when the Revivals were going on. (Speaking of, anyone heard from Stealth or Phaser over the past few years?) I think it's a combination of the GX model being a fairly dull color, and the weapon graphics filling so much of your field of view right after you fire them. I'm amazed that someone's able to lay down something Plasma with that kind of accuracy.
I think I know exactly what you're talking about. Though part of my problem is a hopelessly poor reaction time, if only in comparison to other Descenters.
I usually don't have the problem in other games, especially many ground pounders where I can often take out tons of players (must be why they're so much less fun), and I don't think they're all that bad.
I haven't played D1 or D2 multi in years so I don't know how well I'd do now. D3 often winds up being whoever can pull the trigger first... because they'll have Mass Driver.

Speaking of Stealth and Phaser, I've been curious myself. I remember seeing their site go down. Honestly didn't figure they'd both just go and disappear forever.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Can't answer for the general case, but I seem to recall skunk said at one point that he tried a few names and this was the one that actually worked. I think it had something to do with Flower being a skunk in the Bambi film, so that was what he was going for... seems more than a little out-of-place but hey :mrgreen:

On reaction times, I'm not sure how much of it is truly reactions; a player called Kanage (some may remember him) once told me that his reactions weren't really as fast as they appeared, he just knew what was going to happen anyway. I think this might be true for most good players. There are enough cues you can read - where someone is at the moment, their velocity, where they're aiming, what weapon they're using - that you might actually have more time than you'd think to act on it.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Back when I was playing D2/D3 multi on average 4 hours a night and more on weekends, I was able to tell what people would do and my reactions were fast. The same thing happened in D3.

That video doens't seem to be out of this world. It looks more like the other people were not that good. If you play against "good" players you will never got 50-10. But if you play semi newbies it's easy.

Knowing the level will also get you more kills. I also noticed he shot missles/smarts at anything so I'm sure a bunch of kills were results of that and to me that is not really a skill as it is more luck. Nothing wrong with this because I do it also. But just saying.

My 2 cents
MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK Z490;Intel Core i7-10700K 3.8GHz;EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 Super KO Gaming 8GB GDDR6;SeaSonic FOCUS GX Series 750 Watt 80 Plus Gold;A-Data XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB 3D NAND PCIe NVMe M.2 2280;WD Black 6TB 7200RPM 256MB 3.5" SATA3;Fractal Design Define 7 Compact Mid Tower;Asus SDRW-08D2S-U 8X Slim DVD-RW External Drive;Corsair VENGEANCE LPX 32GB 2x16 3600 DDR4 C18; Win 10 64Bit
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

CDN_Merlin wrote:That video doens't seem to be out of this world. It looks more like the other people were not that good.
Agreed. He's clearly a good player, but I didn't see much experience from the other pilots. They ran into a lot of smarts, and generally didn't react like experienced players when Skunk charged them.

P.S. Guys, he's banking like that because he's constantly trichording, which is why he was generally flying faster than everyone else. If you're not banking often, you're not trichording often.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Some of the pilots are a bit greener than others. There were about a couple that are pretty dangerous though (you're welcome to play them if you have doubts!). Smart missiles do tend to have plenty of dumb luck to them, but there are tricks to when and where to fire them to get a decent chance of popping someone... doesn't work on everyone though.
Enzo-03
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Enzo-03 »

Theftbot must have had crazy cool strategy then if he was able to seemingly just lob a smart at a door so that I'd just happen to open it the half-second before it hits and then turn out to be somewhere behind me so he can grab my spew. :|

I don't think I ever really learned any real "tricks".

Been looking to get back into D1/D2 multi lately because MDing all over the place in D3 is unsatisfying. :mrgreen:
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

I have a bunch of subtle tricks that I employ to obliterate my opponents at will.
I'd prefer to earn my victory by out-witting you -- brute-force kills aren't as fun.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Theftbot's tricks most probably relied on figuring out other players' timing and aiming for that. I agree that there was more to it than luck.
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

Even back in the early days Skunk was never push over. Not surprising he can still play like that.
TA Kracon
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by TA Kracon »

ahh D2 looks sooo basic now on the graphix.
zapp
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by zapp »

hmmmm.. I'd have to say that really doesn't look so extreme- some good tri-cording, but he's not ripping the twist off rolling to much ;-) Mostly the pilots he's playing must like to eat their peas, cause they go barging right in there for a mouthful LOL!
My youngest son is 8 now, think it's time to dust off my 3D Pros and get in the mines with him...
Canuck
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Canuck »

Come by and play Skunk then zapp... we'll definitely help knock the rust off your pyro while playing the Descent Rangers!
zapp
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by zapp »

Funny to think about it.. the Rangers were the n00bs last time I was playing, in the Pyro Pilot's Guild... I think they (PPG) are all dead now.. or idling in IRC ;-) But the Rangers are still around. Nice to see.
Canuck
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Canuck »

Zapp drop by and teach us Noobs! Seriously though we have quite a few good pilots that I'm sure will challenge you. Ask Fiend how his first Rangers Kegparty game went for him a while back...
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

I must admit there was an ulterior motive for posting this thread: if you think you really are that good we would like you to prove it before we believe you. ;)
Zero!
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Zero! »

the banking makes it look fancy but thats about it, sry :)
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Skunk is my hero!
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

What strikes me, and I think is the particular skill that makes a big difference:

He didn't have to be facing the enemy the whole time - he'd bank and turn to maneuver, and anticipate where the other player was going instead of trying to track the player while he went there.
Arch Linux x86-64, Openbox
"We'll just set a new course for that empty region over there, near that blackish, holeish thing. " Zapp Brannigan
Canuck
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Canuck »

I see a ton of people talking down Skunk's game and saying they can do better, but none of you have ever dropped by to back up your flapping gums.

Enzo-03 and Fiend have dropped by the Rangers and even applied, we also all had a ton of fun shooting each other in the mines! We keep adding to our roster weekly and take all skill levels... keep in mind its a league and not a clan.

Fiend and Flip occasionally beat each other with flaming bibles in Mumble too... great late night 18+ entertainment!
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Lol, true enough. I'm in mumble right now waiting on a game gum flapper :P.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

you guys are really giving me the itch to start playing again...
Canuck
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Canuck »

Flip, Ferno, just sat down its 11:11 PM here... off to Rangers Mumble.
Canuck
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Canuck »

Zero! wrote:the banking makes it look fancy but thats about it, sry :)
Zero must play like the unbeatable WoW nerd from Southpark

flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

LOL, That's kinda how I felt about 1:30 last night. Too bad that game never got going , I blame Fiend completely. What kinda slacker doesn't have a working joystick? 40 lashes for heresy :P
Hell yeah you should Ferno. 1:30am is rare for me nowadays, but I lurk on Rangers mumble server most times :).
skunk
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by skunk »

Hi guys, thanks for all of the kind comments, I appreciate it.

Don't know if I saw any real "nay saying" but I welcome any of you to a 1 on 1 if you like. It's always good to test each other's mettle. Plus it's great to play new pilots!

Hope to see some of you soon. I hang out frequently on the rangers mumble and also DTF, whichever has the most people on at the time.

-skunk
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Hope we didn't embarrass you too much up there ;)
skunk
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by skunk »

me? Nah! ;)
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

flip wrote:What kinda slacker doesn't have a working joystick?
Hehehe... did I ever mention I have a working joystick? I just never use it.
Is this an intentional dirty double-entendre from the last person you'd expect? We may never know...