500 feet elevation SUCKS!

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Re: 500 feet elevation SUCKS!

Post by Isaac »

If it ever gets too hot we can just order a giant ice cube and dump it in the ocean. Then, every year, just get a bigger one.
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-★ ·:*¨༺꧁༺ :E ༻꧂༻¨*:·.★-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Grendel wrote::shock:

Looks about like what I've got at my house. I see your daffodils think it's spring. :P

Damn stuff is still coming down too, even though it's 35 degrees. Went out a shoveled the stupid driveway so I could at least get the car in and out. The stuff was like shoveling wet concrete and weighed about the same. Can't wait for this slop to refreeze tonight. What a mess that will be. :roll:

My sister was going to drive back to California this morning on I5 and thought things were OK because everything looked clear up in Portland this morning. She got a nasty surprise when she got to Salem though, which was where this nastiness all started up. Weird storm.

I'm on the wrong computer to post a pic. No card reader. Will take another pic if the snow is still around tomorrow and then post them. I'm too dead from shoveling to bother right now. :mrgreen:
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Yea, was shoveling that stuff off the walkway in front of my house in the evening :(

Here's a pic from about 1/2hr ago. Meh.

Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Thursday morning after more snow last night. Had to shovel ANOTHER 3 inch layer off the driveway this time. I was looking at my roof that faces north, where the snow didn't melt much during the day yesterday and I estimate there is a total of about 8 inches up there since it's level with the top of the roof vent pipes. Some of it did melt in the backyard before more fell during the night, so it's not as deep there.

This late of a snow storm hasn't happened since April 9, 1980. I was here for that one too.

My neighbor is probably cursing the hip roof over their garage. The snow loves to slide off and hit any car parked in the driveway. It also makes getting out of the garage a challenge. :P
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Canuck
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Canuck »

Its snowing here right now as well, and three days ago, and two days before that... You get used to it after a while.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Meanwhile, the only truly significant snowstorm we got this whole "winter" here was right before Halloween. I'd gladly take some of that white stuff now, because it sure as hell shouldn't be 80 degrees in late March.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Canuck wrote:Its snowing here right now as well, and three days ago, and two days before that... You get used to it after a while.
Well, yeah. I lived in Colorado for a few years and the snow was no problem. The area municipalities were equipped to keep up with it. Around here in Oregon, cities practically go into conniptions whenever a few snow flakes appear, because no one has the money to invest in the equipment required to deal with snow that falls for only a few days out of the winter. Plus, the snow here is usually warm triple point snow, very heavy and slippery. Cold snow is much easier to deal with. :wink:
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

tunnelcat wrote:...I lived in Colorado for a few years and the snow was no problem. The area municipalities were equipped to keep up with it.
One of the things I love about the Denver area. :mrgreen:

Even the day we had about two feet of snow, the main roads were plowed and passable by the end of the day, and they even managed to plow a bit on most of the side streets.

Not much in the way of snow here in the last week or so... just lots of wind, which is normal for Oklahoma where I grew up, but not for the 'front range' of the Rockies.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

i'm starting to miss snow. getting a little tired of this miserable ★■◆● rain that comes down almost constantly.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Foil wrote:
tunnelcat wrote:...I lived in Colorado for a few years and the snow was no problem. The area municipalities were equipped to keep up with it.
One of the things I love about the Denver area. :mrgreen:

Even the day we had about two feet of snow, the main roads were plowed and passable by the end of the day, and they even managed to plow a bit on most of the side streets.

Not much in the way of snow here in the last week or so... just lots of wind, which is normal for Oklahoma where I grew up, but not for the 'front range' of the Rockies.
I lived in Colorado Springs. It was very pretty there being so close to the mountains and Pikes Peak. But the low humidity darn near killed my tender Oregon-born sinuses. Couldn't take it. So when I had the chance, back to good old WET and SOGGY Oregon I came. :mrgreen:

As for the wind, I gather you haven't experienced those downslope Bora Winds much? They would come howling out of the mountains at 70 miles and hour and literally shake the house and rip things up! Then there were the upslope Chinook Winds, hailstorms, lightning............ :shock:

http://jonathanvigh.com/weather/windstorms/index.htm
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

tunnelcat wrote:As for the wind, I gather you haven't experienced those downslope Bora Winds much? They would come howling out of the mountains at 70 miles and hour and literally shake the house and rip things up! Then there were the upslope Chinook Winds, hailstorms, lightning............ :shock:
I'm on the southeast side of Denver, so not close enough to the slopes to feel the Boras or Chinooks. Generally stays pretty calm out here, except recently.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Yeah, the Springs sits right next to the mountains. We got those damn winds quite a lot. We could always tell if the wind speed was over 50 miles an hour whenever our metal chimney cap started oil-canning. :lol:

We also got hit with large hail one time. Took quit a bit of the little rocks off of all our house's composition shingles and left only the fabric. New roof! Also left a few dimples in my husband's car, but since he had it parked at work over by Garden of the Gods, he missed the worst of the storm. I also was standing next to my furnace during a lightning storm when a small feeder bolt hit the metal chimney. I could hear the electricity buzzing around in the duct work. :shock: Didn't fry anything fortunately. The lightning loved to hit those cable and phone pedestals in people's yards quite a lot I noticed too. Killed many people's stereos and TV's. :wink:

No, as pretty as the area is and as good as the skiing is, I don't miss the severe weather there one bit. :mrgreen: