descent for android/ios

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

dwlpunk
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

descent for android/ios

Post by dwlpunk »

i was wondering, for those of us that have small fortune to contribute, what would it cost to buy the rights to 'descent' or atleast pass on the rights to an indie developer? i think that descent HD would be a good game for tablets and smartphones as well as a fast HD remake of the original distributed by either steam, or the android/ios stores. i got about 30 grand to blow on the endever (more if artists are dedicated). i keep seeing random forum posts about the project but no one ever does anything. it cant be that hard to rehash. whoever has the rights must be hurting by now (interplay)
dwlpunk
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re: descent for android/ios

Post by dwlpunk »

btw im an avid WoW player on emerald dream as well as many other mmos such as tera, swtor, and rift. a lot of people are interested in this subject of bringing back old dos/windows95 games to tablets and smartphones.
Lobber
Emotastic!!
Emotastic!!

Post by Lobber »

I'd be totally behind that.

I can make some levels for it too.
Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Capm »

should just be a matter of porting the executable shouldnt it? At least for andriod. You'd have to copy content files over locally from an "owned" copy.

But how would you control it?
--------------
----------
---Capm
http://www.midnightsquadron.com
sdfgeoff
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by sdfgeoff »

I also thought about this, but came up with there being too little touch-screen space for the necessary controls. There's only just enough for, say, a regular FPS, but throw in an extra axis and you need three fingers at least just for movement. Then you can't see what you're shooting at...
Eh?
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

You don't need to buy the rights if you're just porting as long as you make no money. After all, we do have the source code for the first two games.

I want to push Interplay to sell the rights to Descent but to someone who will actually make a D4. Getting them to sell it to someone who will only make a port would complicate that.
And Interplay hasn't exactly been committed when doing Descent ports recently, if you know what I mean.
Ship's cat, MPSV Iberia: beware of cat.
Beware my original music, at http://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

sdfgeoff wrote:I also thought about this, but came up with there being too little touch-screen space for the necessary controls. There's only just enough for, say, a regular FPS, but throw in an extra axis and you need three fingers at least just for movement. Then you can't see what you're shooting at...
Just use Grendel's Bluetooth Converter for MS Sidewinder 3DPro, PP, and FFP.
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-★ ·:*¨༺꧁༺ :E ༻꧂༻¨*:·.★-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

Modern phones & tablets are accelerometer-equipped (well at least my droid x, moto droid & xoom are). That simplifies the controls a bit, neh?