Hate Crimes

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Hate Crimes

Post by Gooberman »

No matter what the reality of the situation, the Trayvon Martin case is a tragidy. Whenever a life is taken, especially so young, it is a tragidy. But in my opinion there is just so much exploitation of this story for personal gain:
Black people represented an estimated 13 percent of the U.S. population in 2005, the latest data available, but were the victims of 49 percent of all murders
Of all the black homicide victims, about 93% are killed by other black people
http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/30/opinion/b ... ml?npt=NP1

Even if Zimmerman is a cold blooded racist, or lets assume that all of the 7% remaining who have murdered black people, are white racists -- isn't the bigger story that blacks make up ~ half of this countries murdered victims? That black-on-black violence is by far the most dominent form of violence in this country?

I know the history and very real struggle of African Americans in this country quite well....but this is not indicitive of "how things are".

Perhaps this is a cold way to put this, but I keep hearing people say that the only reason he was shot was because he was black. I don't know if thats true, but without a doubt the only reason we heard about this story, is because Zimmerman looks white.

So what does this really say about our society?
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Re: Hate Crimes

Post by CUDA »

CLEARLY the black community is exploiting a situation. with all the facts not yet known it is irresponsible and clearly Racist on their part. they originally tried to portray this as a white on black hate crime, and still are to a Major extent.

but what makes the whole thing an even bigger travesty and even worse is the comments by some black politicians intentionally inflaming the issue for no other reason than political gain,

The million dollar bounty put on Zimmerman by the New Black Panthers,

Spike Lee attempting to tweet the address of Zimmerman in order to cause him Physical Harm,

And worse of all our current AG does nothing about these blatant violations of the law. they should all be ashamed.

but lets not forget, you can only be a racist if you're a Republican
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Yes, the attention is being waaaaaaay overblown. Yes, Blacks may be overreacting. Yes, the Black Panthers aren't helping the cause, only stirring the hate pot.

But, there may be cause for concern about a coverup in this whole mess because the initial investigation looks rushed and botched. Unfortunately, the reactionary response in this country has clouded the whole thing and turned it into a circus. Too bad cooler heads can't prevail and find out what really happened.

The facts do look bad for the shooter however. The kid was unarmed and physically smaller. Zimmerman was told to stop following the kid by the dispatcher, yet he went ahead like some hero with a wannabe cop complex. And there's that snippet of 911 call that may have Zimmerman saying f**king c**ns (fill in the blanks), although it's too garbled to be sure. There's just enough crap in this whole affair to piss off any black person, at least with the history of Black/White relations in this country. I'm not surprised.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Heretic
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral
Location: Why no Krom I didn't know you can have 100 characters in this box.

Post by Heretic »

It doesn't help with NBC editing the 911 call either.
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Post by CUDA »

Heretic wrote:It doesn't help with NBC editing the 911 call either.
there's a shocker :roll:
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

OK, why was the body of the shooting victim tested by police for drugs and alcohol while the shooter himself was not? Just asking.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

Maybe the shooter didn't undergo a post mortem examination. :mrgreen:
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

Sergeant Thorne wrote:Maybe the shooter didn't undergo a post mortem examination. :mrgreen:
Hahah, true. I lol'd.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

In case you are wondering what the real manufactured uproar is about:

"Members of Congress are pushing new legislation calling for everything from gun control to restrictions on neighborhood watch groups.

The legislative steps in the wake of the fatal shooting face an uncertain fate. So far, they come exclusively from Democrats in the Congressional Black Caucus"

Look for the Brady bunch to pipe up in 3-2-1---
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Ugh, no amount of legislation restricting guns will solve the real issue; what we need is legislation that restricts stupidity.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Krom wrote:Ugh, no amount of legislation restricting guns will solve the real issue; what we need is legislation that restricts stupidity.

lots of luck with that. You'd be restricting a good 90% of the adult population. Remember the ratings numbers for American Idol,
Jersey Shore and Big Brother?
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

well if it's anything, all those people tuned into jersey shore should have an extra feature installed in their televisions, so every time they watch more than five minutes of it, they get a nice electrical shock to their gonads. Not enough to hurt them but just enough to make them sterile.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

that sounds kinda sexy actually
in that, yes/no kinda way.
Trans Prostate Electrical Stimulation combines elements of urethral, anal, and electrical stimulation. As such it can be a source of great pleasure to the recipient
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Back on topic. This little example is how some of the bovines of the world were led by the nose into thinking Zimmerman was a racist. When NBC first aired a report this is what they indicated was a portion of the conversation between Zimmerman and the 911 dispatcher:

"Zimmerman: This guy looks like he’s up to no good. He looks black."

What the real conversation was:

" Zimmerman: This guy looks like he’s up to no good. Or he’s on drugs or something. It’s raining and he’s just walking around, looking about.

Dispatcher: OK, and this guy — is he black, white or Hispanic?

Zimmerman: He looks black. "

NBC has since "apologized". As is the case with the NYT calling Zimmerman a "white" hispanic, you can now see how the liberal nut job press tried desperately to make this into a white man hating blacks so he indiscriminately kills a innocent teen. Oh and the computer enhanced image of the back of Zimmermans head clearly shows a gash. I'll patiently wait for the likes of Sharpton and Jackson to apologize as I'll wait for Obama's reversal of wanting a son just like Martin. I fear it will be a long wait tho.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

"Case closed"?

Woody, that jump-to-a-conclusion is as bad as the folk on the other side jumping to the conclusion that "it must be racism".

We don't know the details yet. Perhaps the gashes were from him being attacked, perhaps they were during a scuffle he initiated. But this case will get huge media coverage, so we'll get to hear the details unfold later. And I trust a jury more than I trust any media outlet or political figure.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Since one of them is dead, we'll only know Zimmermans version. The head wounds do give proof to Zimmermans version. Sans any opposing evidence, Zimmerman will walk.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

You don't know that. We haven't heard what the conversation was between Martin's girlfriend and him while they were talking on their cell phones at the time this event was occurring.

As for that head wound of Zimmerman's, sure he could've fallen when he tangled with Martin and banged his head. Didn't look that bad to me. All it takes for A LOT of blood to flow is a small puncture to the head. Even small scalp wounds bleed profusely. I still haven't seen him with his supposed broken nose though. Those do REALLY bleed, and the nose tends to be crooked and bluish with the resulting hemotoma as a result.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

The left-media has painted Zimmerman him as a racist who attacked Martin without cause.
The right-media has painted him as a victim who is unjustly accused by left-media.

Me? I'll wait for the trial, and real evidence.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Yeah, I like to wait to pass judgement after all the evidence comes out during the trial. There's a lot we don't know that the prosecutor does seem to know.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Curious that in Calif. 1st or 2nd deg. murder there is no bail allowed. Also in Florida:
"The charge of second-degree murder also means that Mr. Zimmerman will not be entitled to be released on bail before his trial."

Yet the court allowed Zimmermen a low end bail of 150,000 instead of the 1 million the prosecutor asked for. To me I think the prosecutor is going through the motions because of public pressure. In the end we won't find out until a jury trial is held.
Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Gooberman »

The CNN article I read yesterday indicated he was Latino.

His printed race has evolved from
white -> white-hispanic -> Latino

To compinsate the story has evolved from
Racism -> Gun Control/Stand your ground law

If Zimmerman's name was Hernandez, we would of never heard about this story. Are white people allowed to be offended?
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

And here is another reason why I think this is a public sop on the part of the prosecutor:

Snip
Zimmerman's lawyer, Mark O'Mara, grilled a state investigator on the stand.

Dan Gilbreath admitted under oath that prosecutors had many questions about the shooting they could not answer.

"Any evidence that conflicts, eyewitnesses anything, that conflicts with the contention that Mr. Martin assaulted first?" O'Mara asked.

"As to who threw the first blow? No," Gilbreath responded.

"Do you know who started the fight?"

"Do I know? No."

"Do you have any evidence that supports who may have started the fight?"

"No."

So no evidence yet they see fit to arrest and put Zimmerman thru a farcical inquisition.
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

Pure speculation but:

It sounds like Mr. Martin wasn't exactly innocently scoping out the area and Mr. Zimmerman didn't use good judgement in trying to confront Trayvon Martin. Zimmerman should have hung back and let the police check things out.

Both Martin and Zimmerman sounded like they had to be macho about things and got into the fight that eventually cost Martin his life.
"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - Mao Zedong
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - Mao Zedong
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

ThunderBunny wrote:Now, this is a hate crime:

http://www2.wkrg.com/news/2012/apr/23/m ... r-3659891/
I'm waiting for:

1) Rev. Sharpton to get out his bullhorn and denounce this
2) For the NYT's to come out and say the victim perpetrated this act by foolishly sitting on his front porch.
3) The new Black Panthers to patrol in front of the victims house to protect him from more racial attacks
4) A member of the Black caucus to enter the house chambers swinging a paint can
5) Obama stating how he wished he had a uncle like the victim.
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

ThunderBunny wrote:Now, this is a hate crime:

http://www2.wkrg.com/news/2012/apr/23/m ... r-3659891/
That's what makes me think about buying a gun and getting a license to carry.

I swear I'd be this close to becoming a racist if I didn't know good people from a whole lot of different races..... which makes me decide that it's a cultural thing, not a race thing. I guess that makes me a culturalist... because I plain old think some cultures are inferior to others. For anyone offended: remember that you choose your culture, and you can choose to leave the culture that you grew up in for another.
Arch Linux x86-64, Openbox
"We'll just set a new course for that empty region over there, near that blackish, holeish thing. " Zapp Brannigan
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Yeah, a shotgun would of broke that crowd right up. No need for a license if your at home or in your car.