Go Canada

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Warlock
DBB 3D Artist
DBB 3D Artist

Go Canada

Post by Warlock »

Now only we can to the same.

[youtube]nU4E6SSy5Yg[/youtube]

(helping powers activate - mod :E )
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Re: Go Canada

Post by Alter-Fox »

You know, somehow, I agree with the Harper government on this. (And I never agree with the Tories on anything so it just goes to show), I think getting rid of the penny was a very good move... unlike most of the Conservative voters who hate the idea :P.
Just so you get an idea of what Canadians think about it :D.
Ship's cat, MPSV Iberia: beware of cat.
Beware my original music, at http://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

ohoh, I'd watched that John Green vid mentioned at the end.
From a country that abolished pennies cents a while back, what happens is that a lot of stores just round their actual prices (particularly for cheap items) to the nearest sensible 5 cents. I don't mean it's rounded when you buy it, i mean the price is actually written in 5 cent intervals, it just saves brain conversions.

ps: pennys are cents right?
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

The video does make cents.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

roid wrote:ps: pennys are cents right?
Yes. Except in the UK, where they're just pennies.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

roid wrote:ohoh, I'd watched that John Green vid mentioned at the end.
From a country that abolished pennies cents a while back, what happens is that a lot of stores just round their actual prices (particularly for cheap items) to the nearest sensible 5 cents. I don't mean it's rounded when you buy it, i mean the price is actually written in 5 cent intervals, it just saves brain conversions.
That would be very hard to do here without changing the entire system of how the sales tax works. As it stands some Canadian government a long time ago made the boneheaded decision that the prices we see on the items we buy are not what we actually pay, the sales tax gets tacked on after. I'd love to see a decision to actually include the sales tax in the actual price tags but this is Stephen Harper we're talking about, he already made a very good decision to get rid of the penny and I don't think he can keep it up for another one.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

TigerRaptorFX wrote:The video does make cents.
It's a big change.
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-★ ·:*¨༺꧁༺ :E ༻꧂༻¨*:·.★-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Alter-Fox wrote:That would be very hard to do here without changing the entire system of how the sales tax works. As it stands some Canadian government a long time ago made the boneheaded decision that the prices we see on the items we buy are not what we actually pay, the sales tax gets tacked on after. I'd love to see a decision to actually include the sales tax in the actual price tags but this is Stephen Harper we're talking about, he already made a very good decision to get rid of the penny and I don't think he can keep it up for another one.
Canada doesn't have a monopoly on that particular brand of stupid, America and a couple other countries I have been to all do the same thing, so I highly doubt it will be corrected anytime soon.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

The problem with including the sales tax is it adds costs more for business if the tax changes. Canada's GST also isn't applied to everything.

People that ★■◆● about the tax not being included are those that can't do a simple bit of math.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

You could just make the businesses responsible for keeping track of the tax and adding it to their own prices before they put those prices up. Which only would mean that the price you see in the store is slightly higher than the store's actual price; I guess it depends on how you look at it.

All I was saying was that roid's idea about having prices in multiples of five-cents wouldn't make any difference unless the sales tax was part of the price thas is in multiples of five cents -- when the sales tax is tacked on afterwards it's still likely going to give you some number that isn't a multiple of five cents, especially when the tax is such an unwieldy number like 13 percent and that's actually made up of two taxes... but you're in Alberta, so you're the one who doesn't need to worry about one of them. Anyway, this is simply the laws of probability, and I should know those laws -- I had a summer job as a statistician last year. Consider that the next time you imply my math skills must be horrible ;).
Warlock
DBB 3D Artist
DBB 3D Artist

Post by Warlock »

I say we do it to there just useless zinc and copper and i hate counting them.

but think about it how mant people really pay with cash any more working in IT for a cstores chine we see more card usage then cash.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Warlock wrote:I say we do it to there just useless zinc and copper and i hate counting them.

but think about it how mant people really pay with cash any more working in IT for a cstores chine we see more card usage then cash.

Dude, using a comma at certain places and using spell check would make it easier to understand what you're trying to say.
Corsair Vengeance 64GB 2x32 6000 DDR5, Asus PRIME B760-PLUS S1700 ATX, Corsair RM1000x 1000 Watt PS 80 Plus Gold,WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD, WD Blue SN580 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD, Noctua NH-D15S Universal CPU Cooler, Intel Core i7-14700K 5.6GHz, Corsair 5000D AIRFLOW Tempered Glass Mid-Tower ATX, Asus GF RTX 4070 Ti Super ProArt OC 16GB Video, WD Black 6TB 7200RPM 256MB 3.5" SATA3, Windows 11
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

I pay cash everywhere because it's easier to control how much I spend by having a finite amount of cash, than using a debit card with my entire bank account available on it.
Enzo-03
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Enzo-03 »

I don't want to get rid of the penny.

I like the sound of as many coins jingling in my pants pockets as I can. :D
We will not have signatures in the future.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

The penny isn't made out of copper anymore, it's only plated. The amount of copper required to even make a penny costs more than 1 cent. I'd vote to get rid of it. It takes up space in my pocket and most of the time it's gross and corroded because the crappy metal they make it from doesn't resist the elements or hand oils.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.