The Blind Can See Forever

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

The Blind Can See Forever

Post by woodchip »

a couple days back when the news broke that a blind Chinese dissident escaped house arrest and made it to the US embassy I though "good for him". Then I thought a little bit further and I thought "he may of made a mistake" going to our embassy. I thought of all the money China lends us and how Hillary had ties via her husband and his Chinese campaign donations, and I figured the dissident was going to get screwed. And he was.

Not what has yet to play out is, did the US make a face saving agreement with the Chinese where-by the US hands the dissident back to the Chinese and the Chinese would then allow the dissident and his family to emigrate to the US? Or are the Chinese trying to ★■◆● slap us by waving the dissidents desire to emigrate and how he was tricked into leaving the embassy. If, in the next couple of days, the dissident is allowed to leave then the US did some good diplomacy. If not, fail is writ large on the worlds smartest woman's forehead.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re: The Blind Can See Forever

Post by Tunnelcat »

Mr. Chen had second thoughts after his escape. He did leave his family behind when he bolted for the embassy. Didn't he realize what the Chinese authorities would do to his family when he defected? Was he hoping that the U.S. would have enough clout to convince the Chinese to also release his family so that they could defect with him? Highly unlikely. If he wanted out, he should have stayed in our embassy. You slam Clinton is all this, but you weren't over there negotiating during Chen's confusing, mind-changing, indecision concerning the fate of his family that still remained behind in China.

http://www.voanews.com/english/news/Chi ... 91985.html
VOA wrote:While he was in the embassy, Chen’s friends all said he wanted to remain in China and uphold fairness and justice. On Wednesday, Chen left the embassy, after U.S. officials said they had received assurances from Chinese authorities that Chen would be allowed to relocate his family to Beijing and he would be free to attend university there.

Within a day, it appeared Chen had second thoughts. On Friday he told VOA he wanted to leave the country.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Zuruck
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Zuruck »

A Chinese dissident doesn't get what they want? My god, I guess I'll just have to go on with my life. Is America required to give asylum for everyone?
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Zuruck wrote: Is America required to give asylum for everyone?
If they make it to our embassy and request it...yes.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Only if they meet certain requirements, and I do believe this guy meets them.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Looks like a well played diplomatic maneuver to save face:

"A U.S. official confirmed Saturday morning that blind Chinese activist Chen Guangcheng and his family are en route to the United States so he can pursue studies at an American university."

So now the question....who is paying for his education. And I suspect he nor his family will ever return to China.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

I wanna know how a blind dissident escapes and then actually gets into the embassy. Maybe he's not blind after all?
A blind Chinese activist who dodged 100 guards to escape house arrest is believed to have taken refuge at the U.S. Embassy.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington ... 54612084/1
American officials have refused to confirm if Mr Chen is in the embassy. But Mr Hu said that his friend had no desire to seek political asylum in the US.

"He wants to stay in China. He thinks now is a historic moment of change in China and he wants to take his chances and be a part of it."
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... bassy.html
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

flip wrote:I wanna know how a blind dissident escapes and then actually gets into the embassy. Maybe he's not blind after all?
He had help?
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Obviously, the biggest coming when he got past the armed chinese guards stationed around the embassy. What are the odds that a blind man sneaks past armed guards at his home, leaving his wife and child, and then sneaks past armed guards at the embassy, stationed there to prevent just that very situation? I dunno, sounds like bull★■◆● to me.