Toxic Waste Dump

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Toxic Waste Dump

Post by flip »

Well, I was reading about the huge centipedes in Penang, that get caught and handed over to the "authority" to be studied, and it made me wonder why. So, I looked up Penang on Google Maps and subsequently found this. Looks like Malaysia is the toxic waste dump of the world =/

EDIT: TC's post about killer spiders helped :)
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Re: Toxic Waste Dump

Post by Ferno »

those are clouds lit by the sun at sunset.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

No, I was speaking about the sediment circled. To be sure, just refresh a few times over the few days. The clouds will change but that area remains the same.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

look, i'm not gonna explain basic cloudcover, light and landmass to you. do some research.

oh and.. don't expect me to respond to whatever you're gonna post next. til you do, talking to you would be a waste of my time. you just don't listen.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

What on the map indicates there are toxics in the circled area?
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

I don't know why you respond in the first place, did your boyfriend slap you around a bit too much tonight? Look, the fact of the matter is, I am right. Seems Malaysia has a HUGE nuclear toxic waste problem and NO plant to recycle it.

http://eprints.utm.my/3924/

Why don't you grow up dude, who the hell acts like that in real life? ;)

EDIT: Ever heard of pollution genius? Or spectrometry, no, just being a dickhead is all your good at.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

The yellow mass. I don't see those colors anywhere else around the globe. Like I said, a good test would be and wait for the next satellite image. If it's still there ;)

http://www.abc.net.au/worldtoday/conten ... 436219.htm

[youtube]OZXGbaYRYIw[/youtube]

Who wants to go swimming? :P
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Anybody wanna talk about giant centipedes? I guess that's the most aggravating thing from some of the kids on this board. You post something and they leap out of the shadows hollering ★■◆● they don't really even know =/ Pardon my french.

Or Managed Capitalism under One Party Authoritarianism. I'm open to either.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=en ... K-qZY&NR=1
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

Do you mean Penang has an indigenous species of large centipede?
Or do you mean that ordinarily small centipedes are made to grow to a large size via happinstance being exposed to toxic* chemicals, like the kindof misunderstanding of science a child may get from watching Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles?

(*toxic my ass, sounds like they'd be better categorised as performance-enhancing no? there'd be a big market for such a wonderful chemical)
flip wrote:...reading about the huge centipedes in Penang...

i can't find anything about it in the news.

Also you'll likely be waiting months for Google's flyover image to update, it's not an every few days kinda thing.
Have you checked other flyover geography image services?
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Well, I guess teenage mutant ninja's it is :roll:

[youtube]ooFSFR2s7Ig[/youtube]
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

it's a large centipede in a strange land, why assume it's anything out of the ordinary?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centipede
Size can range from a few millimetres in the smaller lithobiomorphs and geophilomorphs to about 30 cm (12 in) in the largest scolopendromorphs.
That took all of 10 seconds.
Video uploader seems to think this one may exceed 60 cm. Assuming that's at all reputable, or accurate: Could be a new species, or a freak, no wonder biologists wanted to look at it.
handed over to the "authority" to be studied
Oh boy, the inverted commas, really? Come on mate, come on, seriously. This is a giant insect, it's scientifically interesting. There's no cover-up, there's no pro-nuclear lobby group illuminati that comes to take away Master Splinter so no-one can know that animals get super-sized by radiation magic. Animals aren't made super-sized by toxic spills that's cartoon stuff, it's not how biology actually works.
flip wrote:EDIT: TC's post about killer spiders helped
yes, killer bees, killer jumping spiders, bat-boys and chupacabras, oh my!
One can always be assured that at any given time there will be ample monster panics happening in various places in the worldwide media (and of various authenticity) to validate one's preconceptions and tell one exactly what one wants to hear.
Yes.
Exactly.
I knew it.
etc.

Now. This is an interesting story, but as far as i can see there is no reason to believe any theory you have yet suggested. Try the more likely ones first eh? Don't be a sucker man. Come oooooon, lift the game, this story could be interesting yet!
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

I promised myself I wouldn't do this :mrgreen: but the spiders are supposedly a whole new species that have never been seen before and are outright aggressive. In the case of the centipede, the "authorities" are obviously telling plantation owners to capture them so they can be studied, apparently because they seem to be getting larger. Who knows or cares? My post was going towards what kind of environment are these people and insects living in, and the whole damn place looks like a dump. China should clean all the ★■◆● up out of their yard before they start trying to lead anything. Plus, they outright expose their own population to theses toxins with no regard at all to the consequences. You wanna talk flying spaghetti monsters. I was just telling you the thought process that got me thinking about pollution in ASIA, which is so friggin bad it's pititful the conditions those people are living under. Didn't watch any of the videos did ya? They were all about pollution ;)
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TechPro »

I'm just waiting for centipedes the size of the giant worms of Dune.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

Here's an ordinary-sized one I found in my garage a couple years back:
centipede.jpeg
centipede.jpeg (62.98 KiB) Viewed 2279 times
dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by dissent »

Bah. These large bugs are simply time travellers.
"I've long called these people Religious Maniacs because, of course, they are. I always point out that you don't need a god to be religious maniac; you just need a dogma and a Devil." - Ace @ Ace of SpadesHQ, 13 May 2015, 1900 hr
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

hehe, Nice find Dissent. I'm glad the scale and lifespan of these creatures got smaller over time :shock:
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Ick! The yellow stuff looks like some kind of toxic metal deposits, but the pinkish outflow from the river is positively freaky, and I'm sure something really nasty to take a dip in. Looks almost like a sheen of some kind of oily substance.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Well, the pink could definitely be refraction, but I would bet that yellow, sulpherous looking mass is coming right out of a smokestack. Also bet you would never find an uncloudy day where that thing is located. Yuck! I'd die from refusing to breathe.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Ya sure that's yellow smoke? It looks more like something being discharged into the water and settling on the bottom offshore. It isn't traveling downwind very far for something in the air. Of course, either way, it's nasty! :twisted:
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

No, not sure. It's definitely a cess pool over there of industrial waste, so I wouldn't doubt the pollution would cause a different wavelength to be visible from the air. In fact, I would think Google's main desire for would be to capture uncloudy days to piece it's maps together. Bet that place is terminally acrid, but after watching several videos on China's pollution problems, it's the whole damn region.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

These people are gonna have to move one day, huh?

"Rumors about what caused the multicolored haze flew around the Internet, which -- no surprise here -- led to Chinese police arresting those who dared to suggest online that it was pollution caused by a chemical leak or refinery explosion. The government says the phenomenon was simply an unfortunately shaped cloud that resulted from farmers burning straw in the fields. Wouldn't we see this all the time, then? Just sayin.'"

Source:http://now.msn.com/now/0618-china-mushroom-cloud.aspx
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

I'd walk through snow to get satellite pictures of that :)

Jet fighter comes out from under around 1:45
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

I love how the Internet can see a thunderstorm and immediately jump to "ZOMG NUCLEAR APOCALYPSE!!!"
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVIzyUBJ ... re=related

1:35 center bottom, you can see the flames burning on the ground directly under where the cloud formed. I think Waldo's in Malaysia ;)

EDIT: Another one not in Beijing?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCOZ9_YS ... re=related
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Duck and cover! I like the fact an airliner actually flew out of the cloud from nowhere. :shock:
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

That's no jetliner, that is low and slow flight.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Sure looks like a jetliner. If you look at the 2 minute point in the video, you can faintly see what appears to be at least 2, may even 4, engines under the very large wings. It's probably going slow because it's on some approach path. If it is a jetliner, some people had a very interesting view.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Smoke is the wrong color, white/gray, not yellow. The yellow you see in Beijing is from the superheated gas in the middle of the cloud, which would have dissipated by the time it floated to Malaysia.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Those people are leaving China one day, I don't know when, but they will leave in droves.

EDIT: The cloud in Malaysia has a distinct yellow core, same color as that explosion in Beijing. Aside form that, Supercell's don't usually just dissipate like that. I wouldn't think nothing if it weren't for that sulpherous looking core in Malaysia. Look out Roid!! Toxic cloud coming your way :P
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

MS's Bing maps version is clearly the same photodata, yet it doesn't have the weird colours that must have effected google's one.
We've all seen weird purple artifacts on flyover imagery before, it's generally caused by reflections (like from car windows).

Compare:
- https://maps.google.com.au/maps?hl=en&l ... 7&t=h&z=11
- http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=2.1220 ... orm=LMLTCC

Flip you should have noticed this from the start.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

You may be right. China is still a cesspool. I hope you all have enough room for em :P
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

flip wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVIzyUBJ ... re=related

1:35 center bottom, you can see the flames burning on the ground directly under where the cloud formed. I think Waldo's in Malaysia ;)
That's either sun reflecting off a building or just a light-up sign. It doesn't look remotely like flames.
That's a classic cumulonimbus shape, and the people taking the video are foolish for not recognizing it. Seriously, this is just nonsense.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

flip wrote:You may be right. China is still a cesspool. I hope you all have enough room for em :P
Some of the things you say makes me wonder if you think SE Asia is all one nation. Just wanna make sure we're on the same page here, the nation of China is ~2000km north of the nation of Malaysia.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

I would bet my bottom dollar there all cesspools scattered throughout SE Asia, at least as far as Kabul Afghanistan.

EDIT:http://india.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/02/ ... tudy-says/

You do know where India is?
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Cities in Iran, India, Pakistan and the capital of Mongolia rank among the worst on the planet for air pollution, while those in the United States and Canada are among the best, according to the first global survey released Monday by the World Health Organization.

The southwest Iranian city of Ahvaz earned the unfortunate distinction of having the highest measured level of airborne particles smaller than 10 micrometers.

WHO released the list to highlight the need to reduce outdoor air pollution, which is estimated to cause 1.34 million premature deaths each year. The global body said investments to lower pollution levels quickly pay off because of lower disease rates and, therefore, lower health care costs.

The list, which relies on country-reported data over the past several years, measures the levels of airborne particles smaller than 10 micrometers - so-called PM10s - for almost 1,100 cities.

WHO recommends an upper limit of 20 micrograms for PM10s, which can cause serious respiratory problems in humans. They are mostly sulfur dioxide and nitrogen dioxide from power plants, auto exhausts and industry.

Ahvaz's annual average of PM10s was 372 micrograms per cubic meter. Heavy industry and low-quality vehicle fuel are the main causes of air pollution in the desert city of 1.3 million.

The study found that the Mongolian capital, Ulan Bator, had an annual average PM10s density of 279 micrograms per cubic meter, followed by another west Iranian city, Sanandaj, with 254 micrograms.

Cities in Pakistan and India, such as Quetta and Kanpur, as well as Botswana's capital, Gaborone, also ranked high on the pollution scale.

WHO said the reasons for high pollution levels varied, but often rapid industrialization and the use of poor quality fuels for transportation and electricity generation are to blame.

At the other end of the list are cities in Canada and the United States, which benefit from lower population density, favorable climates and stricter air pollution regulation.

Yukon territory's capital, Whitehorse, had a yearly average of just 3 micrograms of PM10s per cubic meter, while Santa Fe, N.M., measured 6 micrograms.

Washington, D.C., had a level of 18 micrograms, Tokyo measured 23 micrograms, and Paris had 38 micrograms of PM10s per cubic meter
It stretches from Central Asia at least as far as Iran and then further south of Malaysia. Noting but huge air pollution problems in EVRY major city on that continent. Move over ;)

EDIT:We could let them have Mexico :P
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Nasty Bastids :P
Australia has the highest per capita level of greenhouse gas emissions in the developed world, largely because of its heavy reliance on coal to generate electricity, a report has found.

Just days after the Prime Minister, John Howard, outlined an energy package which confirmed coal as the major source of future energy production, the Australia Institute revealed total emissions are now greater than those created by more highly populated countries such as France and Italy.

Each person now creates 27.2 tonnes of carbon dioxide equivalent each year, or enough to fill 27 family homes. The figure is 27 per cent higher than the amount produced by American citizens and more than double the average figure for people living in industrialised countries.

Electricity generation, transportation and the production of non ferrous metals such as aluminium were the largest contributors to the high emissions levels.

The report, done for the institute by the OECD's International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis, showed average per capita emissions in industrialised countries as a whole declined by more than 12 per cent between 1990 and 2001. This was also the case in Australia, where per capita emissions declined by just over 7.5 per cent.

However, the reduction is because declining rates of land clearing have offset increasing levels of emissions created by energy production and transport.

Mr Howard said this week that Australia was dealing with climate change "the smart way".

"It recognises that Australia cannot afford to put at risk ... industries that directly employ 120,000 Australians and which earn more than $24 billion a year in export income," he said. "The energy advantage provided by our resources is something Australia must not throw away."

The Government was heavily criticised by the Opposition, minor parties, the renewable energy industry and environment groups for not taking strong action to reduce emissions.

The report "should shock every Australian", Greenpeace campaigner Catherine Fitzpatrick said. "The Federal Government's current energy policy is taking us down a dangerous path.

"Australians care about climate change and this report is another nail in the coffin of the Prime Minister's dead-end energy policy."

The president of the Australian Medical Association, Dr Bill Glasson, said making diesel fuel cheaper would increase air pollution in cities. "In Europe, the number of deaths caused by vehicle emissions was estimated to be more than twice the number of deaths from road accidents," he said.

"In Australia deaths caused by vehicle emissions at least equals the number of deaths caused by road accidents. The Howard Government has made dirty fuels cheaper, our air more polluted and potentially caused the death of many more Australians."

A report from the Bureau of Transport and Regional Services last year estimated the health cost of pollution in cities at $3.5 billion per year.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

@TG: 2 things about that cloud (and it could be normal for all I know), in the streets of China, it created a panic. So it was definitely unusual. Most cumulous clouds don't dissipate in less than a few minutes. They keep building, plus I see no wind shear, which is needed to build a cloud that high and so quickly. The fact that the colors were described as green and yellow, and the fact that citizens had been complaining about a green and yellow haze lingering, BEFORE the cloud formed. It dissipates just as quickly as it forms. All odd and no wonder it caused a "panic." The red glow at the bottom definitely flickers as if it could be flames. Who knows? Neither you nor I ;)

One thing I do know. In every major city over there, they are wearing face masks from all the particulates in the air, and the bad thing about that region, is the air keeps it there. I actually say with confidence, if those conditions continue to grow, there will be a mass exodus from that region. The whole region is polluted. The water, the ground and the air.
dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by dissent »

Could be time to buy stock in air pollution controls companies that are doing business in China.
"I've long called these people Religious Maniacs because, of course, they are. I always point out that you don't need a god to be religious maniac; you just need a dogma and a Devil." - Ace @ Ace of SpadesHQ, 13 May 2015, 1900 hr
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Here's another Chinese yellowish toxic waste cloud flip.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/spi ... 92,00.html

And guess what's contributing to the mess, our e-waste, that we send out like good little boys and girls to get recycled. :wink:

http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-18560_162-4579229.html