Connection issues with TV, Blu-Ray an Home Theatre

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Connection issues with TV, Blu-Ray an Home Theatre

Post by CDN_Merlin »

So I have a LG 47" 3D TV and just bought a LG Home Theatre system. My Rogers(cable provider) box is a Pace 551 HD.

I'm having issues getting both sound and video together.
Here is what I've tried.

Option #1
Plug HDMI from Rogers to Blu-Ray HDMI IN.
Plug BR HDMI (TV Out) to HDMI (ARC) on TV.
I get sound but no picture.

Option #2
Plug Rogers into HDMI 2 on TV
Plug BR (out to TV) to HDMI ARC on TV.
I get picture but no sound from surround sound.

Why am I having a hard time setting this up? Roger's site tells me that my box should plug into the BR and then from the BR to the TV but it doesn't work.
The cables are good as they transport both Video and sound but not together.

After talking to LG, they told me to replace the Blu-Ray, which I did and the same thing happened. After talking to Rogers, they told me I had to use RCA cables to get sound. WTF, why use RCA when HDMI is supposed to send both audio and video???

So I'm using RCA to get sound but I'd rather use option 1 if it were possible.

Any ideas?
Corsair Vengeance 64GB 2x32 6000 DDR5, Asus PRIME B760-PLUS S1700 ATX, Corsair RM1000x 1000 Watt PS 80 Plus Gold,WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD, WD Blue SN580 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD, Noctua NH-D15S Universal CPU Cooler, Intel Core i7-14700K 5.6GHz, Corsair 5000D AIRFLOW Tempered Glass Mid-Tower ATX, Asus GF RTX 4070 Ti Super ProArt OC 16GB Video, WD Black 6TB 7200RPM 256MB 3.5" SATA3, Windows 11
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Re: Connection issues with TV, Blu-Ray an Home Theatre

Post by fliptw »

try plugging the HD receiver into the blue ray, then that into the non-arc hdmi port.
Canuck
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Canuck »

Those Pace boxes are absolute crap... just plug each component's HDMI out into a discrete HDMI input on the TV, sucks that you have to switch inputs but what is most likely happening is the HDCP signal is messing things up. This was more common in the early days of HDMI but not unheard of today still.

I'm very surprised the analog out on the Pace box is even working when you use HDMI, they used to cut that off if it sensed the HDMI out is being used. I had to use optical out to a digital-analog converter in order to tie into whole home audio systems with Pace boxes.

You can also try powering up the devices in a different order, I have had this happen;
http://www.ehow.com/about_5623159_hdmi- ... blems.html
http://www.hdcabling.co.za/hdcp_hdmi_ha ... elines.php
The switcher is in the Blu-Ray player.

Hope this helps.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Canuck,

The thing I find weird is the ARC feature doesn't seem to work. I know I'll play more with it this weekend but I just hate when things don't work like they should.
Corsair Vengeance 64GB 2x32 6000 DDR5, Asus PRIME B760-PLUS S1700 ATX, Corsair RM1000x 1000 Watt PS 80 Plus Gold,WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD, WD Blue SN580 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD, Noctua NH-D15S Universal CPU Cooler, Intel Core i7-14700K 5.6GHz, Corsair 5000D AIRFLOW Tempered Glass Mid-Tower ATX, Asus GF RTX 4070 Ti Super ProArt OC 16GB Video, WD Black 6TB 7200RPM 256MB 3.5" SATA3, Windows 11
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

my guess the ARC was only meant for audio that isn't from an HDCP, ie from the tv's internal tuner.
Canuck
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Canuck »

I turn off all those control schemes, they interfere more often than work. Welcome to my world of custom installation. Turn it off in the TV menu and the Blu-ray as well and see if it smartens up.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

No toslink cable output on receiver for input into the surround system?

That way you just switch surround to Digital/In mode to capture the audio from receiver without playing with input settings

You could also connect the toslink to the tv then the digital audio will still pump to the surround ( when set to digital-in) via the hdmi cable, but you will have to adjust the delay (ms) for the inclusion of the 3rd jump in transmission

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Bubba, there is an Optical In on the Blu-Ray There's also an Optical and Digital in/out on the cable box.