More RAM on my test computer

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

thewolfe
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

More RAM on my test computer

Post by thewolfe »

I have a test computer that I try new programs and other assorted go-withs and it's a bit slow.

It's an HP Pavilion p6 100z running an AMD Sempron Processor LE-1300 2.30 GHz has 2.25 GB of RAM.

It will run 4 GB. It has a 2GB and 256 MB. Will replacing the 256MB with a 2GB stick make much of a difference?

And if replacing would help do the two stick have to be the same?

http://www.dougsstuff.com/RAM.jpg
Valin Halcyon
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re: More RAM on my test computer

Post by Valin Halcyon »

Generally speaking, smaller RAM sticks are slower, so are older and/or generic ones. Also I assume this thing uses DDR2? If so, toss it all out and get these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820231166

$70 for a full stack of RAM is equivalent to 2 dinners at Chili's...just do it and be happy.
thewolfe
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by thewolfe »

So I guess your saying it will make a fairly big difference in speed?
Valin Halcyon
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Valin Halcyon »

Just taking OUT the 256mb module will help. Getting new "high end" DDR2 RAM will be a further help..
thewolfe
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by thewolfe »

Question: Taking the 256MB out w/o adding a second stick will speed things up? If so, why is that?
Valin Halcyon
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Valin Halcyon »

Quantity of memory only speeds things up when you use so many concurrent programs that you run out of RAM and Windows has to switch to virtual memory. Using old RAM that's slower than the newer, larger, and faster module brings the nice speedy chip down to the speed of the old one.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Sorry Valin, you are totally off on this one. RAM is all about quantity, quality is largely irrelevant as long as its stable and compatible with the system.

The difference between the fastest RAM you can get your hands on and the slowest budget RAM is 2-5% extra performance at best if the running application demands memory bandwidth (assuming you have enough in both cases). The difference between having enough RAM and not having enough RAM on the other hand is huge. It doesn't matter how fast the RAM is, its still going to be a hell of a lot faster than swapping to the disk.

Thewolfe: There should probably be some benefit from swapping that 256 MB chip with another 2 GB chip. Athlon processors were all on platforms that had dual channel memory controllers and interleaved banks in pairs to get more bandwidth, but that only works when each memory stick is the same capacity. However do note that if you are using any 32 bit version of Windows (or any other 32 bit OS for that matter), you will only be able to use ~3.3 GB of RAM because of a hard limitation of 32 bit operating systems. A 64 bit operating system is required in order to fully utilize more than 3 GB of RAM.

As for any performance improvement, if 2.25 GB was enough RAM, then by replacing the 256 MB stick with another 2 GB stick so the memory controller can interleave them could provide up to a 10% performance improvement in some applications, but overall if you were CPU limited before, you will still be CPU limited after.
thewolfe
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by thewolfe »

Thanks gentleman, that was a good lesson.
thewolfe
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by thewolfe »

This is a pic on my 2GM of RAM. Is this too old to mess with? Always trying to save a buck if I can match this one. http://www.dougsstuff.com/IMG_0547.JPG
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

You can still find DDR2 online, although it might be easier to find a 2x2 kit than a single module matching the one you already have.
thewolfe
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by thewolfe »

Thanks Krom, going to ck it out today. I went through my dozens of sticks of RAM yesterday but their older than the hills.
Poil
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Poil »

You processor is dual channel, so for maximum performance you need to have 2x of the same size at the max speed
You can also replace your processor with an athlon X2 7550 or a better one? (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/docu ... 02882#N153)

You can find 2x2Go DDR2 at less than 30$ on ebay.