Disk copy is so slow

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Disk copy is so slow

Post by Iceman »

Hey guys ... Long time, hope all is well with everyone. Anyway, I remember where I got my best tech help from so I came back for more ...

I've got a ThermalTake BLAC external SATA adapter with a brand new 2TB WD SATA disk w/a 64MB cache (WD2002FAEX). I'm copying about 200 Gb of data from my system disk (Similar but 1GB) and the copy dialog is showing a speed of 3.06 MB/sec ... Windows 7 Pro SP1 ... Any idea why this operation is so slow?
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Re: Disk copy is so slow

Post by CDN_Merlin »

If they are small files that could be why. Bigger files take less time because there is less writing tot he FAT tables.
Corsair Vengeance 64GB 2x32 6000 DDR5, Asus PRIME B760-PLUS S1700 ATX, Corsair RM1000x 1000 Watt PS 80 Plus Gold,WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD, WD Blue SN580 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD, Noctua NH-D15S Universal CPU Cooler, Intel Core i7-14700K 5.6GHz, Corsair 5000D AIRFLOW Tempered Glass Mid-Tower ATX, Asus GF RTX 4070 Ti Super ProArt OC 16GB Video, WD Black 6TB 7200RPM 256MB 3.5" SATA3, Windows 11
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

I have one of those enclosures as well, although I quit using it as much after I upgraded to a pure eSATA enclosure. The peak sequential speed on it was about 35 MB/sec IIRC, but collections of smaller files go a lot slower because of the overhead. Try copying a big file (1+ GB) and see how quickly it moves. Otherwise try different cables/ports, make sure it isn't plugged into a hub, check the speed of the system drive, and try connecting the 2 TB drive to a regular SATA port to see if it improves any.
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

Yeah, I was copying like 125,000 small files. When I went to copy a 12 Gb file it transferred lickety split ... I found the same behavior transferring from internal to internal.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

It would be faster to take the 125K files, and just add that to a zip file being created on the destination drive.
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

Or... if you're feeling adventurous, using dd to copy an entire partition will go real fast.
Arch Linux x86-64, Openbox
"We'll just set a new course for that empty region over there, near that blackish, holeish thing. " Zapp Brannigan
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

3 MB/sec read from an internal 7200 RPM desktop drive is a pretty terrible number even for smallish files. 200 GB in 125,000 files would be an average of about 1.6 MB/file and any 1 TB 7200 RPM drive worth its salt should be able to spit out files that size without dropping under 50 MB/sec after overhead (even the first generation drives in the 1-2 TB range should hit close to 80 MB/sec just reading 128KB chunks). I'd start to think you have a serious fragmentation problem, when was the last time the drive was defragmented? (Windows 7 defaults to an automatic defragment schedule of once a week, but it only does it if the computer is left on so a lot of machines still miss it...)
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

The source or destination drive? The source could use defragging, the desintation is freshly formatted
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

The source drive, "brand new" drives usually aren't fragmented.
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

Will give that a shot, thanks man!
Obsessed - A word lazy people use to describe the dedicated.