PETA Pokemon Game

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

PETA Pokemon Game

Post by snoopy »

http://features.peta.org/pokemon-black- ... te-parody/

Just a bit more evidence that the PETA folks drank a little too much of the happy juice.
Arch Linux x86-64, Openbox
"We'll just set a new course for that empty region over there, near that blackish, holeish thing. " Zapp Brannigan
Heretic
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral
Location: Why no Krom I didn't know you can have 100 characters in this box.

Re: PETA Pokemon Game

Post by Heretic »

I find this one more disturbing.

http://features.peta.org/cookingmama/
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

The thing that disturbs me about people is that they don't see a moral dilemma in these things. There is one, one so complicated it's impossible to have any sort of conclusion. The original double standard -- humans afford all these rights to themselves but not to their fellow creatures. There is no real solution to the problem -- the best we can do may very well be what we're doing -- but that doesn't mean we should completely fail to acknowledge that the dilemma is there. Even if you believe people were set to rule over their fellow creatures, a good ruler gives his subjects the same rights he has.
The thing that disturbs me about PETA is that they paint such a complex issue in complete black-and-white instead of acknowledging the complexity, and thus become part of the problem -- their ridiculous demands invite derision and give people an excuse to ignore the dilemma completely.
Ship's cat, MPSV Iberia: beware of cat.
Beware my original music, at http://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden.
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

Alter-Fox wrote:The thing that disturbs me about people is that they don't see a moral dilemma in these things. There is one, one so complicated it's impossible to have any sort of conclusion. The original double standard -- humans afford all these rights to themselves but not to their fellow creatures. There is no real solution to the problem -- the best we can do may very well be what we're doing -- but that doesn't mean we should completely fail to acknowledge that the dilemma is there. Even if you believe people were set to rule over their fellow creatures, a good ruler gives his subjects the same rights he has.
The thing that disturbs me about PETA is that they paint such a complex issue in complete black-and-white instead of acknowledging the complexity, and thus become part of the problem -- their ridiculous demands invite derision and give people an excuse to ignore the dilemma completely.
If you're going to go down the philosophical route... explain to me why we should treat plants any differently than we treat ourselves or animals?

My contention: if you're going to be philosophically pure about treating all living things equally, you're not going to eat, at all. Problem is, that presents a bit of a problem when it comes to personal survival.

EDIT: While you're at it, you need to make sure to completely disable your immune system, too.
"We'll just set a new course for that empty region over there, near that blackish, holeish thing. " Zapp Brannigan
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

Your sarcasm is extremely good at being the problem :P. My problem isn't with people eating and surviving, it's with people not realizing the moral issue and moral implications of things as simple as eating and surviving -- and that life and morality is a whole lot more complicated than people like to believe.
This is the sort of thing you start to think about and agreeing with when your sister goes vegetarian because of just some of these issues. I see myself as a total unabashed carnivore ;) and I'm not ashamed of being a total unabashed carnivore but I at least realize what I'm doing when I eat meat -- or anything else for that matter -- which is more than most people seem to care about, or be capable or willing to care about.
The most we can ever do is acknowledge the issue but the sad thing is that the vast majority of us don't even do that because for some reason you don't think it's easy to do something that isn't anything -- or it's just the innate arrogance of our species.

I'm here to make you think -- and you're not going to think about what I'm saying, and that's ok, because that is what you need to think about. And also this: While animal-rights radicalists like PETA are most definitely nowhere close to being right, their ridiculousness can blind you to the fact that they may not be completely wrong, and even being 99% wrong the 1 percent not-wrong can be more important than any so-called sane person will ever give them or people like them credit for.

Now you can go ridicule me.
Enzo-03
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Enzo-03 »

Ugh.. PETA.

I don't even take them seriously tbh, except when they put down hordes of animals. Then I hate them even more.
We will not have signatures in the future.
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

Alter-Fox wrote:Your sarcasm is extremely good at being the problem :P.
Actually, I wasn't being sarcastic. We can E&C this if you want.... but my point is that life doesn't allow for strict "equal rights" for all living things.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

And my point is that's a bloody shame and we should get right out there and respect it for the bloody shame it is. I honestly think it would make the world a better place, because I'm crazy.
The point is to make people who just dismiss these things think by offering the point of view you don't expect. And I've offered that point of view so I'm done here despite this post existing. I don't think it worked but that's my problem.

And I have a huge philosophical rant that won't go here. I'm definitely not saying that [babbles on]...
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

I think maybe you're giving yourself too much credit....

When I get home tonight I'll put down a few thoughts on the matter in E&C. If you think you have this all well thought out, then I invite you to give me your thoughts... maybe I will learn something. If you're going to throw some vague references around and then act like you're Voltaire enlightening the world then you're underestimating your fellow board members. But, maybe you prefer it that way... it certainly lets you feel good about yourself without really having to engage with views other than your own.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

Sometimes I misjudge what constitutes clear communication.
But like I said I'm a loony so why should you listen to me? :P