Alternatives to Catalyst Control Center?

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Alternatives to Catalyst Control Center?

Post by Avder »

I'm fed up with AMD's crappy software. A few years ago, with a previous version, CCC used to do what I needed it to: Configure my damned displays and let me switch between configurations with just a few mouse clicks. Now it barely does anything resembling that. The only thing it can get right is to activate my other monitor, but it completely forgets that I want to switch that monitor to my primary monitor, and also how I want it positioned relative to my main monitor as well. And no matter how many times I re-do the profiles, it just will not remember those settings, so I have had it.

So what I am looking for is a program that can do what CCC used to do: set up profiles for my desktop and displays configurations and allow me to switch between them with a few mouse clicks like CCC allows. Note that I do NOT need a program that can change 3d gaming settings profiles, as there are many programs out there that can do just that and I have one on my computer that does the job exactly as I want it to.

I just want to ditch CCC completely.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Re: Alternatives to Catalyst Control Center?

Post by Krom »

You can drag around the monitors and change their orientation and which one is the default monitor in the windows display properties (screen resolution) dialog with any video card/driver.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

CCC profiles are a snap to use as long as you follow a basic rule

You must save the profile you are in if you rearrange it, does not auto save.

Create a new profile, you must load into it, rearrange then save for it for it to work!

I use multiple profiles... Already have a bald spot from trying to figure out that I was ignoring the basics

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

Krom wrote:You can drag around the monitors and change their orientation and which one is the default monitor in the windows display properties (screen resolution) dialog with any video card/driver.
I'm well aware of that, but I want to only have to do it once, and then be able to get back to that configuration at a later time by just clicking a profile.
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

BUBBALOU wrote:CCC profiles are a snap to use as long as you follow a basic rule

You must save the profile you are in if you rearrange it, does not auto save.

Create a new profile, you must load into it, rearrange then save for it for it to work!

I use multiple profiles... Already have a bald spot from trying to figure out that I was ignoring the basics
That's pretty much how I've always made mine. And like I said, in previous versions of CCC, it worked pretty flawlessly. Its just the current version where it does not.

But I will try it, one last time I suppose, just to see if it sticks, but I am not optimistic.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

I use 4 monitors and each config is very specific. After any CCC update i try and make sure they all work correctly. Once complete then I enable my default profile reboot to ensure it's working also on for system restarts.

Only trouble I have had in the recent months was when they enabled the monitor refresh setting to "default at 75Hz" while eyefinity is enabled instead of 60Hz.. which would shut down one monitor... easily found

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

Well I have been trying to set up CCC like you mentioned, and the results are the same. The only thing that gets remembered is if a monitor is turned on or not. Which monitor is set as primary is not remembered, nor is monitor position relative to the other monitor remembered. And it does not seem like it wants to remember my refresh rate either. I want both displays to refresh at 60hz, but for some damned reason CCC defaults my main display to 59Hz.

I've had it. There HAS to be some kind of program that can do what CCC used to be able to do for me?