Homework:Argumentative Speech

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Homework:Argumentative Speech

Post by []V[]essenjah »

So, I wanted to write an argumentative speech for class about why the school should better enforce smokers to smoke designated smoke areas. I'm actually impartial in my opinion of the subject matter but I seem to be writing my content more as persuasive than as argumentative. My original plan was to go with the idea of explaining how 2nd degree smoking can effect students, teachers, and visitors entering and exiting buildings and being in other areas around campus where others may be smoking within the same vicinity. I was going to use the fact that restaurants usually have strict policies against this now by comparison to my college campus where they figure that peer pressure will get rid of the issue. Apparently my professor didn't like this analogy and also stated that my idea of talking about the effects of smoking isn't a strong enough argument unless I'm trying to convince the class not to smoke but that in itself would be a persuasive speech and not an argumentative speech. :\

So, if I'm not able to discuss how or why smoking outside of designated is harmful or bad to other students... or talk about how it infringes on the rights of those who choose not to smoke... it really doesn't leave me with much of anything to talk about...

Apparently, she wants me to make an argument or a claim and support it with statistics, comparisons,and analogies.

So, I have been thinking about writing about why I think Google is still better than Bing and I was wondering where I could find some statistics for my argument. For example, how many people use Google vs. Bing and how accurate the results are by comparison.

Any help or advisement would be great at this point. I have a week and a half to get this thing ready. :\
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re: Homework:Argumentative Speech

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

Just cut to the chase and point out that while Bill Gates is involved in social engineering, eventually Google is going to codify and rule the known universe under the terms of an ever-changing end-user agreement which is agreed to by the act of waking up each morning. The alternative options iLife and Windows 34 Service Patch 12 will give people the impression that they have a choice, but anyone who does not use Google will die cold, lonely, ignorant, and unproductive; and it will be inscribed on their gravestone that they paid for digital services.

Just convert that from paranoid to argumentative, and you're golden. :mrgreen:

EDIT: On a slightly more serious not, if you want argumentative all you need to do is throw the debate in with us in some creative way, and you'll have more inspirational content for "argumentative" than you'll know what to do with. ;) Try imagining an argument (or ask for one) against the position you will argue from, and just work against that.
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

That may be true actually... and more fun to test it out on the local DBBers. ;)
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

I love reading a judge's ruling from a court case. Many of my classes heavily rely on these, so I get to read lots of them.

The great thing about reading a judge's ruling is that they're 100% argumentative.

They begin with the facts, then move into the claims for either side. At this stage, research is done for each claim or counterclaim, regarding what laws have been violated. Previous court rulings are also researched.

"We are further persuaded that the evidence of the defendant's negligence was clear and obvious by a reading of [Florida Statutes Section] 768.0710(1) provides: The person or entity in possession or control of business premises owes a duty of reasonable care to maintain the premises in a reasonably safe condition for the safety of business invitees on the premises, which includes reasonable efforts to keep the premises free from transitory foreign objects or substances that might foreseeably give rise to loss, injury or damage." [p146]

This can go on for pages, so we basically get this:

Plaintiff's claim -> This is what it means according to an authoritative source.
Defendant's counterclaim -> This is what it means according to an authoritative source.
Plaintiff's claim -> This is what it means according to an authoritative source.
Defendant's counterclaim -> This is what it means according to an authoritative source.

I get excited reading these for that reason, especially if it's not clear which side is going to win!!

Finally, you come to the ruling. The only real similarities I find between your argumentative essay conclusion and a judge's ruling are the fact some kind of ruling is made:

Judge: "The record in the present case shows at least some negligence on the part of the defendant... " However the jury in this particular case rules differently, and their verdict is given. [p146]

Yours might sound more like: "In conclusion, these parks should be closed, or at the very least, no new animals should be captured for... " [source]

Notice how they both give a ruling.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure you knew this, but I love talking about judge rulings.
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-★ ·:*¨༺꧁༺ :E ༻꧂༻¨*:·.★-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

[]V[]essenjah wrote:So, I have been thinking about writing about why I think Google is still better than Bing and I was wondering where I could find some statistics for my argument. For example, how many people use Google vs. Bing and how accurate the results are by comparison.
That's a good start. On top of user-based statistics of Google vs. Bing, you could do some testimonials from people on the street. Just keep an eye out for those who use multiple devices such as blackberries/ipods and ask them what their personal preference for web search engines are (your target will be technical-minded people). Use these as supportive anecdotes instead of the main support because if not, your argument will be viewed as too reliant on anecdotal evidence. A synopsis on search engine history would help aswell.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

In regards to banning smoking, when you ban something, you invariably move the problem somewhere else or make it someone else' problem. Oregon State recently banned all smoking on campus, inside and out. Well, now it's great that you can enter and leave buildings without going through a toxic haze of smoke and stepping over masses of cigarette butts, but now many off campus areas have to deal with the problem of loitering, litter and smoke, and they are not happy about it.

http://www.dailybarometer.com/news/camp ... -1.2936428

http://www.gazettetimes.com/news/local/ ... 963f4.html
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.