Disney owns Starwars

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Disney owns Starwars

Post by woodchip »

Seems Disney bought out Lucas films:

"Continuing its strategy of delivering exceptional creative content to audiences around the world, The Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS) has agreed to acquire Lucasfilm Ltd. in a stock and cash transaction. Lucasfilm is 100% owned by Lucasfilm Chairman and Founder, George Lucas."

Another Star Wars film may happen in 2015
Sapphire Wolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re: Disney owns Starwars

Post by Sapphire Wolf »

Disney, they're pure evil since the 1930s. First Marvel, then Starwars! What is up with this cold-hearted animation corperation! They're suppose to have a land of happines and joy! :P one of My childhood memories has been ruined! Curse you, Disney!

(hey at least The Avengers movie was a miracle)

I hope disney puts the Original Theater versions on blu-ray to make us (sort of) happy.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

http://money.cnn.com/2012/10/30/technol ... index.html

Well, does this mean George Lucas can't screw up Star Wars as much anymore?
Gekko71
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Gekko71 »

Meh - Lucas sold out years ago, Nothing new here.

....Although "Use the force Mickey" in a Donald duck voice does have a certain ring to it. :P
I used to like memes, but then I was Rick-rolled while taking over 9000 arrows to the knee like a boss from Chuck Norris.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Oh, great. The kiddification of Star Wars will progress at an even greater rate now. Gag me. :huh:
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Dunno. Wasn't Disney behind PotC (yes, it kind of jumped the shark in the later movies, but the first was respectable)? And then there was the Narnia stuff. Might not float your boat, but they don't seem to be strictly G-rated.

It still depends heavily on the script, but at least there's a possibility we can get a good script this way. So I'll keep an open mind for now.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

Krom wrote:http://money.cnn.com/2012/10/30/technol ... index.html
Well, does this mean George Lucas can't screw up Star Wars as much anymore?
Eh, I think Disney would be less fastidious about preserving the intention than Lucas was. From actually reading what he said he didn't want to make most of those changes in the first place... and yeah, I know that such a thing as lying exists. That doesn't mean it happens all the time whenever big corporations are involved.
The thing is I think Lucas did the right thing when he cut off the series after two trilogies.
Sure there's plenty of material to work with but I doubt it would be possible to make anything that would matter as much to the canon as even the 'expanded univese'.
Ship's cat, MPSV Iberia: beware of cat.
Beware my original music, at http://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

/r/starwars weighs in:
Comments here are not in any order:

"After seeing what they've done with Marvel Movies, this could be great for Star Wars!"

""Star Wars" episode seven will come out in 2015, Disney says"

"George Lucas serving as creative consultant
Maybe...maybe it'll be a good thing. That's what he did with ANH and ESB, right? Provide creative input?"

"So LucasFilms establishes Industrial Lights and Magic; ILM spins off Pixar; Disney buys Pixar; Disney buys LucasFilms; man creates dinosaurs."

"Alternately:
COMING THIS SUMMER
DIRECTED BY JOSEPH KOSINSKI
STAR WARS: LEGACY"

"Marvel Studios is responsible for those films as well as the people they hire to create them. Disney pretty much sits back and lets the cash flow."

"Holeee ★■◆●...had to read this on three or four websites to make sure it wasnt a joke. Good goddamn. This...is either going to be epically awesome or the end of it all. Episode ★■◆●ing 7. ★■◆● me....."

"This sounds horrible in every way imaginable. I don't WANT an Episode 7. All it is going to do is crap all over the already established expanded universe.
Just leave the franchise alone. Not everything needs a sequel, prequel, reboot, or remake. And THAT is what really scares me. This is the first step towards a remake/reboot. Star Wars is one of those few movies that doesn't really need rebooting or remaking. It should be timeless, for every generation.
Then again, distance Lucas from the franchise, and we might end up getting something really good. Empire Strikes Back is fantastic, and Lucas barely touched it. Maybe letting someone else play with the ideas and setting isn't such a bad idea.
Still, I'm VERY weary about this. I imagine some distant point in the future where Star Wars has been watered down the way Star Trek has."

"Hm. I'm conflicted. On the one hand, it'd be nice to see more live-action Star Wars. Say what you will about the acting and writing, the prequels looked great and I had fun.
On the other hand, if it was animated, they could use the original characters again. They'd almost certainly overwrite the EU doing it, but if they didn't...imagine the Thrawn trilogy done up like the Clone Wars cartoon. I'd actually love to see that since the writing wouldn't be as relentlessly painful as the show. I'm imagining Thrawn and Karrde and C'Baoth and Mara Jade in that sorta stylized Clone Wars animation...and I don't mind it that much.
That'll never happen though. The "Episode 7" title makes me pretty sure it'll be live-action (to the extent that any Star Wars movie is live-action). I'm guessing they'll set it pretty far in the future and skip the EU entirely OR set ~30-40 years after Endor and have the original cast appear as older and wiser mentors to a new generation of action figures characters. They're all still alive, after all. If that happens I'd expect them to gloss over or invalidate most of the EU (in particular the stuff happening at the same time chronologically) but maybe not. Lucasarts has spent a long time keeping a pretty cohesive universe together. Sure, there are lots of frayed bits but it'd be a pretty big change of pace if they pulled a Star Trek and just said "★■◆● it, we're starting over."
...that was way longer than I originally intended. Let this comment serve as my reaction to the entire concept of new Star Wars movies. In general, I'm in favor, and I expect it will be live action."

"Yup. Disney is finally understanding they can make awesome adult movies too. Don't forget they made Prince of Persia and John Carter. Both PG-13 and non-canon Disney characters."

"Please let ep. 7 be the beginning of the Thrawn Trilogy... please please please please..."

"Begun, the nerd wars have."

❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-★ ·:*¨༺꧁༺ :E ༻꧂༻¨*:·.★-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

The expanded universe is more than likely going to be crapped on by episode 7. Which sucks, because the universe that the novels and comics and games have created is so much richer than anything the movies have in them.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Photoshop and replace Lucas in the picture with Mickey.
http://i.imgur.com/dFVaR.jpg

edit: meh... close enough:

Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Avder wrote:The expanded universe is more than likely going to be crapped on by episode 7. Which sucks, because the universe that the novels and comics and games have created is so much richer than anything the movies have in them.
There is a lot of good stuff there, but there's also a lot of garbage in the EU. That whole Yuuzahn Vong thing (or however it's spelled) seems to have inspired a great deal of nerdraeg.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Top Gun wrote:
Avder wrote:The expanded universe is more than likely going to be crapped on by episode 7. Which sucks, because the universe that the novels and comics and games have created is so much richer than anything the movies have in them.
There is a lot of good stuff there, but there's also a lot of garbage in the EU. That whole Yuuzahn Vong thing (or however it's spelled) seems to have inspired a great deal of nerdraeg.
I liked that whole series. Better than the Dark Nest Trilogy. Vector Prime was a pretty good start. It was a bummer that Chewbacca had be the first one to die out of all the original characters though.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

Top Gun wrote:
Screw that. I loved the NJO. I'm just ticked off at some of the decisions Lucas made during its writing (he picked who died and who didnt, and I'm not going to say who because spoilers).
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

That’s funny…being annoyed at a storyteller because the story doesn’t turn out the way you wanted it to. :lol:
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

tunnelcat wrote:I liked that whole series. Better than the Dark Nest Trilogy. Vector Prime was a pretty good start. It was a bummer that Chewbacca had be the first one to die out of all the original characters though.
Just like with any comic strip, there'd be plenty of in-universe mechanisms they could use to bring him back without even breaking into a retcon sweat. Secret cloning, the Force (come back as a ghost then get resurrected via Force magic?), timetravel wormholes, alternative universes, the one who actually died was a shapeshifter (ie: everyone's a Skrull).
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

Spidey wrote:That’s funny…being annoyed at a storyteller because the story doesn’t turn out the way you wanted it to. :lol:
Except he wasn't the storyteller. Lucas had very little involvement in the creation and production of the NJO except to say "No you cant kill this character, kill this one instead".
Gekko71
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Gekko71 »

Avder wrote:
Spidey wrote:That’s funny…being annoyed at a storyteller because the story doesn’t turn out the way you wanted it to. :lol:
Except he wasn't the storyteller. Lucas had very little involvement in the creation and production of the NJO except to say "No you cant kill this character, kill this one instead".
Very true. Found a great blog post on the subject that puts things in an interesting light:

http://acculturated.com/2012/10/31/geor ... rge-lucas/
I used to like memes, but then I was Rick-rolled while taking over 9000 arrows to the knee like a boss from Chuck Norris.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Ok, I think I understand now.
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

Right. The thing that annoys me with Lucas and the NJO is that the creative team who mapped the whole arc out had it in mind that a certain character would die, and another certain character would live. Lucas intervened and said "no, you cant let this character die. Kill this one instead" and because Lucas is the hand of god when it comes to anything Star Wars, the creative team had no choice but to re-work things.

There's a very detailed little q and a writeup at the end of the NJO's final book. It went in depth as to how the whole arc came about, why the characters who died ended up dying to begin with, and how things got changed along the way.

I really, really hope Disney does the right thing and respects the EU as it exists now and does not simply shitcan it with Episode 7. The EU to me *IS* Star Wars, not the movies. Everything in the EU was written by someone who actually cared about the story and wanted to be a part of it. It would be just terrible to throw all of that out the window and start all over.
Enzo-03
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Enzo-03 »

We will not have signatures in the future.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

jarjar would fit right in with that picture tho
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Burlyman »

eww disney.

The Galactic Republic is being overtaken by Nazis... oh wait... that already happened. >_>
--Neo, the fourth greatest pilot in the universe