Descent 1 / 2 with Dosbox from GOG

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Tank
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Descent 1 / 2 with Dosbox from GOG

Post by Tank »

Just bought all the Interplay games bundle from GoG.com and can't seem to get D1 or D2 to run. It launches dosbox with a D1 or D2 configuration file, but it just quits immediately. This is under Windows 7 64-bit. I can't really seem to find where any error messages are written.

Anybody have better luck?
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Re: Descent 1 / 2 with Dosbox from GOG

Post by Krom »

Since you already have the data files, you may have more luck by using one of the source code ports. (D2X-XL and DXX-Rebirth) Rebirth is probably the easiest to get running for a novice, just unzip it, copy a few of the data files into its folder, and it runs natively in any recent version of Windows.
Tank
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Tank »

Thanks for the quick reply! Haven't visited here in quite a while. DXX-Rebirth started right up! Even with 2560x1600!
Glowhyena
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Glowhyena »

Yeah, I've been using Descent Rebirth for the most. It runs perfect on my Windows 7 Professional 64-bit with 1080p, it is the best in my personal opinion. D2X-XL is very nice too.

I gave Descent DOSBox a try, it doesn't work with Z-axis (twist). I then quit using DOSBox for Descent only.
MD1985
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

It may be necessary to run setup first before the game will run in DOSBox. But the source ports are a better experience anyway (for most people).