Would you sacrifice your son if God demanded it?

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Re: Would you sacrifice your son if God demanded it?

Post by CUDA »

Foil wrote:
CUDA wrote:...in a court of law they are considered eyewitness and first hand accounts which BY LAW meet the requirements of Evidence for his existence
This is back to the question about types of "evidence". For your definition of "evidence" (from courtroom law), personal accounts which can be confirmed to be from the proper time/place setting suffices. But for folks who mean rigorous scientific proof when they say "evidence", it's something entirely different.
did you read the accounts???

I find it interesting the speed at which you are all dismissing. what I'm trying to show. what it show me if that you dont care. you've already made up your mind and no matter what is produced it will also be dismissed as impertinent to your line of thinking.

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
Arthur Schopenhauer

People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe.
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Let me ask you this though, Cuda: do the accounts you mentioned give any factual evidence toward Jesus being the actual son of God who rose from the dead, or just to the fact that he existed in the first place? There are multiple external sources that give historical credence to a Jesus of Nazareth who obtained a following among the Jewish people in the early first century, but it doesn't automatically follow that the Gospel accounts of Jesus' life are historical fact. There's a substantial difference between the two.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Not only do you have to define evidence, you must also define “God”.

That which created life on earth…The Universe
That which is all powerful…The Universe
That which is all knowing... The Universe contains all of the information.

Guess that means The Universe is God, and I do believe there is plenty of evidence that the universe exists…unless you want to get all metaphysical.

And if you trip out on, something had to create the universe, then you are stuck with explaining where God came from, and if the answer is God is eternal, then you need to keep up with the most current models of the universe before the big bang.

Even the guy who singlehandedly championed the big bang theory is now hedging his bet.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Yes, Cuda, I'm familiar with the historical accounts. They do support the place/time/culture/etc. of the Christian scriptures, and they do certainly support that Jesus existed. Unfortunately, they don't support the more specific events (e.g. the resurrection).

Don't overreact here. I'm not saying anything at all about whether or not the scriptures are true. I'm not saying anything at all about whether the resurrection happened. I'm saying that there are inherent limitations to the type and quality of the evidence those historical texts provide.

In other words: Yes, in a courtroom-type setting, those historical documents might serve as corroborating witness accounts to Jesus' existence. However, they cannot serve as evidence of things like resurrection, or for any rigorous scientific approach to questions about god.
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Post by CUDA »

Foil wrote:Yes, Cuda, I'm familiar with the historical accounts. They do support the place/time/culture/etc. of the Christian scriptures, and they do certainly support that Jesus existed. Unfortunately, they don't support the more specific events (e.g. the resurrection).
there are eye witness accounts that are addressed in the Historical documents. not to mention the Gospels themselves. and I'm sure that some will dismiss them because they are "In the Bible" but that is not a good reason. that would be tantamount to dismissing a book in the library of congress because it shares the same shelf with other book on the same subject. the Bible is not 1 book, the Bible is a Library of books, some of which are eyewitness accounts. the gospel of Luke is such a book. Luke was Paul's Physician, he was not one of the 12. and neither was Paul for that matter. Mark also was not one of the 12. and both books attest to the resurrection of Christ based on eyewitness accounts.

you can take and 1 or 2, or even 3 historical accounts that reference Christ as who he claimed to be and try to dismiss them and may even sucessful. but there are myriads of documentation that all point to and confirm the same thing. skeptics will not believe regardless of what evidence or proof is presented. but to blindly dismiss it is just foolish. there IS too much corroboration throughout history.. again you need to look at the preponderance of evidence, and make a decision. it's called Faith

To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible.
Thomas Aquinas
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

CUDA, eyewitness testimony isn't considered reliable, and the Bible contradicts itself (yes even in the Gospels).
Didn't KoolBear end up writing a book trying combine all the Gospels?
snoopy wrote:If you read the text, it doesn't give you the latitude to take that step.
Do you mean it explains how and why this isn't the case? The mechanism of Abraham's caller ID?
When one is questioning the validity of a text, they have the latitude to compare it to reality. I'm saying what i think would have happened in this situation, and thus why the text is questionable for not addressing the point. It's about identifying plot holes, we do it in fictional literature all the time, revealing the flaws of our silly heros of old so we can make newer better ones, which in time will themselves be revealed to have been silly too, in their turn. It goes on and on, writing gets better, philosophies get analysed and refined.
The Bible too is a mashup, edited and purged many times. "The text" isn't even "the text", so it's apt to take all the latitude you need to try to fill in the holes and figure out what really happened.
snoopy wrote: "freedom" (which is really an illusion, because the enslavement of sin takes that and more)
what?

Oh wait, this is just another new self-referential definition of "freedom", isn't it.
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by CUDA »

From 1 or 2 people maybe, but not from thousands
, and the Bible contradicts itself (yes even in the Gospels).
show me

― Theodore Roosevelt
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

roid wrote:Do you mean it explains how and why this isn't the case? The mechanism of Abraham's caller ID?
When one is questioning the validity of a text, they have the latitude to compare it to reality. I'm saying what i think would have happened in this situation, and thus why the text is questionable for not addressing the point.

Like I said, if you're just making things up, we're done here.
Arch Linux x86-64, Openbox
"We'll just set a new course for that empty region over there, near that blackish, holeish thing. " Zapp Brannigan
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

CUDA wrote:[ then answer the question. there is a lot of "UNKNOWN" that science takes as fact. why the double standard?
I was a scientist my whole career. That is simply an untrue statement. 'Highly likely' is not 'takes as fact'.
I suggest you read them before you dismiss them, it's kind of self defeating to dismiss something that you haven't read don't you think??
in a court of law they are considered eyewitness and first hand accounts which BY LAW meet the requirements of Evidence for his existence
I've read the first and third of those already. Some of it more than once. I am not claiming Jesus(the man) did not exist. You were supposedly answering the matter of the proof of the existence of GOD.
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by CUDA »

callmeslick wrote:
CUDA wrote:[ then answer the question. there is a lot of "UNKNOWN" that science takes as fact. why the double standard?
I was a scientist my whole career. That is simply an untrue statement. 'Highly likely' is not 'takes as fact'.
then answer the question. where did the matter that created the universe come from. it could not have always existed. that is a circular reasoning.
I suggest you read them before you dismiss them, it's kind of self defeating to dismiss something that you haven't read don't you think??
in a court of law they are considered eyewitness and first hand accounts which BY LAW meet the requirements of Evidence for his existence
I've read the first and third of those already. Some of it more than once. I am not claiming Jesus(the man) did not exist. You were supposedly answering the matter of the proof of the existence of GOD.
read the rest of my posts, there is proof, the question is would that proof be sufficient for YOU to sway YOUR judgement. maybe not, but for over 90% of the worlds 7 billion people it is.

― Theodore Roosevelt
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

CUDA wrote:...answer the question. where did the matter that created the universe come from. it could not have always existed. that is a circular reasoning.
Cuda, I still don't understand why you're insisting that there are only two answers ("God created it" or "It's always been there") ?

From a scientific standpoint, the answer is simply, "We don't know." / "It's outside the scope of any measurements or model we have." Even if you're referring to the Cyclic Model (multiple bangs), that model still makes no claim about the ultimate origin of the energy/matter in the universe.
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by CUDA »

Cuda, I still don't understand why you're insisting that there are only two answers ("God created it" or "It's always been there") ?
what other answer do you suggest? is there a 3rd or 4th option that I missed?
Foil wrote:From a scientific standpoint, the answer is simply, "We don't know." / "That's outside the scope of any measurements or model we have."
thats fair enough. it's an honest answer,

But in the same line if you "don't know" then how can you say that there is no God, (you as in a general term, not specifically you) MOST people that rely on the BB theory take it as factual proof there is no God. that is an error on their part, it is un-true and unprovable, and as much as people want me to produce God's Green card. I cannot do that either. again there is enough evidence to support the existence of God and that the man Called Jesus Christ is him. there are hundreds of documents over centuries to support that. but those that don't want to believe will ALWAYS be skeptical. and you know what. that's OK. the bible tells you to not believe blindly
preponderance of the evidence

n. the greater weight of the evidence required in a civil (non-criminal) lawsuit for the trier of fact (jury or judge without a jury) to decide in favor of one side or the other. This preponderance is based on the more convincing evidence and its probable truth or accuracy, and not on the amount of evidence. Thus, one clearly knowledgeable witness may provide a preponderance of evidence over a dozen witnesses with hazy testimony, or a signed agreement with definite terms may outweigh opinions or speculation about what the parties intended. Preponderance of the evidence is required in a civil case and is contrasted with "beyond a reasonable doubt," which is the more severe test of evidence required to convict in a criminal trial. No matter what the definition stated in various legal opinions, the meaning is somewhat subjective.
and do not take my certainty in Christ as God with me not having doubts. I would be a liar if I said I don't have my moments, with my 52 years of study I have come to believe that it is true, I have studied history and testimony of scientist's as well I have seen things that happen that there is no logical explanation for. and I have come to the point where I have made the choice to believe. but in the same vein if some says with 100% certainty that there is no God and that he has no doubts, He is a liar.

― Theodore Roosevelt
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

Foil wrote:
CUDA wrote:...answer the question. where did the matter that created the universe come from. it could not have always existed. that is a circular reasoning.

From a scientific standpoint, the answer is simply, "We don't know." / "It's outside the scope of any measurements or model we have." Even if you're referring to the Cyclic Model (multiple bangs), that model still makes no claim about the ultimate origin of the energy/matter in the universe.
I'll pile on, too: Saying the God created it only defers the problem to God's existence. You have to start with "at the beginning _____ existed."

Proving or disproving that God exists can't be a scientific exercise because God's a volitional being that won't respond predictably to any sort of scientific test that you might try to create. Moreover, scientific study, by definition, excludes unpredictable behavior... the answer to unpredictability in science is either to bound it (Ala valence levels) and/or develop a better model that exposes the predictability of behavior that appears unpredictable.

On a full-time scale, God's behavior is very predictable, but on physically specific & micro-time scale, His behavior is basically unbound-ably unpredictable, especially when you consider that any action He might take these days is unmeasurable. I.E. by objective standards, God's M.O. these days appears to be total inaction.

All that being said, on a subjective level, there many people out there that will attest to their conviction that God exists and is present & active in the world.

It comes down to recognition.... and those to whom God hasn't given the ability to recognize His action are utterly unable to recognize it.
"We'll just set a new course for that empty region over there, near that blackish, holeish thing. " Zapp Brannigan
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by CUDA »

snoopy wrote:
Foil wrote:

I'll pile on, too: Saying the God created it only defers the problem to God's existence. You have to start with "at the beginning _____ existed."

Proving or disproving that God exists can't be a scientific exercise because God's a volitional being that won't respond predictably to any sort of scientific test that you might try to create. Moreover, scientific study, by definition, excludes unpredictable behavior... the answer to unpredictability in science is either to bound it (Ala valence levels) and/or develop a better model that exposes the predictability of behavior that appears unpredictable.

On a full-time scale, God's behavior is very predictable, but on physically specific & micro-time scale, His behavior is basically unbound-ably unpredictable, especially when you consider that any action He might take these days is unmeasurable. I.E. by objective standards, God's M.O. these days appears to be total inaction.

All that being said, on a subjective level, there many people out there that will attest to their conviction that God exists and is present & active in the world.

It comes down to recognition.... and those to whom God hasn't given the ability to recognize His action are utterly unable to recognize it.
+1
John 10 wrote:
New International Version (NIV)
The Good Shepherd and His Sheep

10 “Very truly I tell you Pharisees, anyone who does not enter the sheep pen by the gate, but climbs in by some other way, is a thief and a robber. 2 The one who enters by the gate is the shepherd of the sheep. 3 The gatekeeper opens the gate for him, and the sheep listen to his voice. He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. 4 When he has brought out all his own, he goes on ahead of them, and his sheep follow him because they know his voice. 5 But they will never follow a stranger; in fact, they will run away from him because they do not recognize a stranger’s voice.” 6 Jesus used this figure of speech, but the Pharisees did not understand what he was telling them.

7 Therefore Jesus said again, “Very truly I tell you, I am the gate for the sheep. 8 All who have come before me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep have not listened to them. 9 I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved.[a] They will come in and go out, and find pasture. 10 The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.

11 “I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. 12 The hired hand is not the shepherd and does not own the sheep. So when he sees the wolf coming, he abandons the sheep and runs away. Then the wolf attacks the flock and scatters it. 13 The man runs away because he is a hired hand and cares nothing for the sheep.

14 “I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me— 15 just as the Father knows me and I know the Father—and I lay down my life for the sheep. 16 I have other sheep that are not of this sheep pen. I must bring them also. They too will listen to my voice, and there shall be one flock and one shepherd. 17 The reason my Father loves me is that I lay down my life—only to take it up again. 18 No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. This command I received from my Father.”

19 The Jews who heard these words were again divided. 20 Many of them said, “He is demon-possessed and raving mad. Why listen to him?”

21 But others said, “These are not the sayings of a man possessed by a demon. Can a demon open the eyes of the blind?”

― Theodore Roosevelt
Pandora
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Pandora »

snoopy wrote:Proving or disproving that God exists can't be a scientific exercise
right on. I wish more people would appreciate this. Science and religion cover separate domains of human existence. I don't think both should overlap. Leave finding out about the world to science. Leave finding out about morals and our purpose and so on to religion (and philosophy, etc.)
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

You've misunderstood Snoopy, Pandora.
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

CUDA wrote:
, and the Bible contradicts itself (yes even in the Gospels).
show me
You must have missed the two threads I posted this in for flip, but here is a handy reference [PDF] to hundreds of bible contradictions.
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

Pandora wrote:
snoopy wrote:Proving or disproving that God exists can't be a scientific exercise
right on. I wish more people would appreciate this. Science and religion cover separate domains of human existence. I don't think both should overlap. Leave finding out about the world to science. Leave finding out about morals and our purpose and so on to religion (and philosophy, etc.)
I agree, however:

Within our human existence, science and philosophy are inseparably intertwined.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

After many years of debate I've come to this conclusion. "No one comes to the Son lest the Father draws them." I find confirmation of my faith in science and observation, but first there must be faith.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

snoopy wrote:
roid wrote:Do you mean it explains how and why this isn't the case? The mechanism of Abraham's caller ID?
When one is questioning the validity of a text, they have the latitude to compare it to reality. I'm saying what i think would have happened in this situation, and thus why the text is questionable for not addressing the point.
Like I said, if you're just making things up, we're done here.
What did you think we were doing in the first place Snoopy? Please tell me YOUR technique for fact-checking holy books from other religions.

Anything and everything that contradicts your holy book is "making things up" from your perspective.
Pandora wrote:
I disagree. Every aspect of existing science at one stage had a religious alternative explanation. All the way back to cro-magnon holding something up from her environment and asking "where did this thing come from?", some religion always had an explanation. Either local (ie: "That rock is a God's tear") or overarching (ie: "God made all matter").
Science was formalised as an alternative to that nonsense strategy, and it is by it's very nature destined to overlap everything that any religion has ever laid claim to. True - often a religion will retreat from certain claims long before science ends up snatching the authority-on-the-matter from the religions' grip, but that still doesn't erase the fact that a religion DID at one time erroneously claim authority on that matter.

Science prettymuch just destroys religion, it's what it does. Religion can do nothing but retreat.
And even that implies a false level of legitimacy to religion - as if it's claims can by now be taken seriously by anyone (let alone science). Religion lost it's legitimacy and authority in describing the world long long ago.

To say that science and religion should be kept separate is really just a kindness to religion, a politeness. It avoids rocking the boat.

I might on occasion fight to preserve religion in the interests of respect for neurodiversity, and from a cultural POV as well of course i'll fight to preserve the texts and records in the interests of anthropology. Nothing about it should ever be destroyed, goodness no. But it belongs in a museum, or admired in your home as art or poetry.
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by CUDA »

roid wrote:Science prettymuch just destroys religion, it's what it does. Religion can do nothing but retreat.
And even that implies a false level of legitimacy to religion - as if it's claims can by now be taken seriously by anyone (let alone science). Religion lost it's legitimacy and authority in describing the world long long ago.
well it would seem that Einstein would disagree with you.
I want to know how God created this world. I am not interested in this or that phenomenon, in the spectrum of this or that element. I want to know His thoughts; the rest are details.

Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind.

My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind.

The further the spiritual evolution of mankind advances, the more certain it seems to me that the path to genuine religiosity does not lie through the fear of life, and the fear of death, and blind faith, but through striving after rational knowledge.

Every one who is seriously involved in the pursuit of science becomes convinced that a spirit is manifest in the laws of the Universe-a spirit vastly superior to that of man, and one in the face of which we with our modest powers must feel humble.

The scientists’ religious feeling takes the form of a rapturous amazement at the harmony of natural law, which reveals an intelligence of such superiority that, compared with it, all the systematic thinking and acting of human beings is an utterly insignificant reflection.

There is no logical way to the discovery of elemental laws. There is only the way of intuition, which is helped by a feeling for the order lying behind the appearance.

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift.

The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious; It is the source of all true art and science.

We should take care not to make the intellect our god; it has, of course, powerful muscles, but no personality.

Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the Gods.

When the solution is simple, God is answering.

God does not play dice with the universe.

God is subtle but he is not malicious.

A human being is a part of the whole, called by us Universe, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest-a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison,

restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole nature in its beauty.

Nothing will benefit human health and increase the chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet.

The man who regards his own life and that of his fellow creatures as meaningless is not merely unfortunate but almost disqualified for life.

The human mind is not capable of grasping the Universe. We are like a little child entering a huge library. The walls are covered to the ceilings with books in many different tongues. The child knows that someone must have written these books. It does not know who or how. It does not understand the languages in which they are written. But the child notes a definite plan in the arrangement of the books—-a mysterious order which it does not comprehend, but only dimly suspects.

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiosity.

What I see in Nature is a magnificent structure that we can comprehend only very imperfectly, and that must fill a thinking person with a feeling of humility. This is a genuinely religious feeling that has nothing to do with mysticism.

The finest emotion of which we are capable is the mystic emotion. Herein lies the germ of all art and all true science. Anyone to whom this feeling is alien, who is no longer capable of wonderment and lives in a state of fear is a dead man. To know that what is impenetrable for us really exists and manifests itself as the highest wisdom and the most radiant beauty, whose gross forms alone are intelligible to our poor faculties - this knowledge, this feeling ... that is the core of the true religious sentiment. In this sense, and in this sense alone, I rank myself among profoundly religious men.

The real problem is in the hearts and minds of men. It is easier to denature plutonium than to denature the evil spirit of man.

True religion is real living; living with all one’s soul, with all one’s goodness and righteousness.

Intelligence makes clear to us the interrelationship of means and ends. But mere thinking cannot give us a sense of the ultimate and fundamental ends. To make clear these fundamental ends and valuations and to set them fast in the emotional life of the individual, seems to me precisely the most important function which religion has to form in the social life of man.
I've always understood it this way.

Science is the how, Religion is the who and the why. they DO NOT contradict each other

― Theodore Roosevelt
Flatlander
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Flatlander »

Well, if we're gonna quote Einstein:

"I said before, the most beautiful and most profound religious emotion that we can experience is the sensation of the mystical. And this mysticality is the power of all true science. If there is any such concept as a God, it is a subtle spirit, not an image of a man that so many have fixed in their minds. In essence, my religion consists of a humble admiration for this illimitable superior spirit that reveals itself in the slight details that we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble minds. "

"I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own — a God, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotisms."

"It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it."
si vis pacem, para bellum
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

And unfortunately for Einstein, it turned out that God does play dice with the universe. I don't think he was ever very comfortable with some of the ramifications of quantum mechanics.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

Top Gun wrote:And unfortunately for Einstein, it turned out that God does play dice with the universe. I don't think he was ever very comfortable with some of the ramifications of quantum mechanics.
EXACTLY
He was WRONG Cuda. Verifiably!
And even on his deathbed Einstein was still trying hopelessly to build a deterministic view of quantum physics.
How his personal religion had him quite effectively blinded on the matter, is a perfect example of how faith impedes the search for knowledge. Faith and Lies can motivate, but they are a dangerous motivational bedfellow. And it's a terrible shame when people feel that their religious sense of wonder is the only valid sense of wonder and amazement around, i can tell you that's not the case.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

"It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it."
It's amazing how just taking a few seconds to read clears up confusion. Einstein clearly stated he did not believe in God, your whole argument using Einstein as an example is based on a lie.
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by CUDA »

you should probably read a little farther. Eisenstein said he did not believe in a "Personal God".
Einstein said, "In view of such harmony in the cosmos which I, with my limited human mind, am able to recognize, there are yet people who say there is no God. But what really makes me angry is that they quote me for the support of such views.
Einstein CLEARLY believed that there was too much order and structure in the universe for it to have been left to chance
"The fanatical atheists...are like slaves who are still feeling the weight of their chains which they have thrown off after hard struggle. They are creatures who—in their grudge against the traditional 'opium of the people'—cannot bear the music of the spheres."

― Theodore Roosevelt
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

I don't think that's what he's saying Cuda, I think that remark is basically "don't be putting any words in my mouth." I imagine a stickler for truth like Einstein was, anything attributed to him that he did not actually say would piss him off.

EDIT: In other words, "there could be, I don't know, but don't use me to support the idea either."

EDIT: SO someone wonders whose side I am on. Neither, I just love the truth.

13 Now when Joshua was near Jericho, he looked up and saw a man standing in front of him with a drawn sword in his hand. Joshua went up to him and asked, “Are you for us or for our enemies?”

14 “Neither,” he replied, “but as commander of the army of the Lord I have now come.” Then Joshua fell facedown to the ground in reverence, and asked him, “What message does my Lord[e] have for his servant?”
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by CUDA »

I never claimed Einstein was a religious man. I was responding to roid's comment
Science pretty much just destroys religion, it's what it does
Einstein did not believe that. it's only the naive that think one cannot exist without the other. they are not in opposition.

― Theodore Roosevelt
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Well, I think Einstein stayed open to the idea, without accepting it on blind faith. Something that can't be said of most here.
Pandora
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Pandora »

roid wrote:I disagree. Every aspect of existing science at one stage had a religious alternative explanation. All the way back to cro-magnon holding something up from her environment and asking "where did this thing come from?", some religion always had an explanation. Either local (ie: "That rock is a God's tear") or overarching (ie: "God made all matter").
From a historical perspective, you may be right, but that's not what I am interested in. I was talking about the core functions both have, and that can't be fulfilled by the respective other. Religion simply does not provide any methods that would help us learn about the natural world, make predictions, and develop new technologies from our theories. Similarly, there is no way in which science can offer us any morals, ideals and so on (without committing the naturalistic fallacy). Historically, of course, one of the two might overreach and fill the void if the other is not well developed, but will soon need to withdraw when it does.
Science was formalised as an alternative to that nonsense strategy, and it is by it's very nature destined to overlap everything that any religion has ever laid claim to.
I think you are underestimating science here. Science is part of human nature, from early on. Infants learn about the world using scientific methods of predict, test, revise, etc. Watch a boy figure out the rules of when something swims. But it goes even deeper. Our brain uses scientific principles for almost all computations. Even basic vision uses it. You come up with an idea of what the image is. You check other aspects of it (often by acting, like moving your eyes, shifting your angle on the object). Then you either confirm or try out a new hypothesis. Of course, all this happens so quickly that we are not aware of it, but nevertheless the scientific method is present in all of us from the outset.
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

Pandora wrote:Religion simply does not provide any methods that would help us learn about the natural world, make predictions, and develop new technologies from our theories. Similarly, there is no way in which science can offer us any morals, ideals and so on (without committing the naturalistic fallacy).
I would go one step further and say that Religion is not a good source for moral guidance either. Morality is something humans are capable of managing on their own, which is evidenced historically. Of course, religious folk will disagree, but you can see humans growing up with different religious traditions, completely unaware of each others', and see similar moral themes manifest. "Science can't offer us any morals," but that's not the job of science. However, I think it's possible for science to contribute to morality in a positive way. This idea is not mine, but Sam Harris' from a TED talk a few years ago. There is still much to be discussed about science and it relationship to morality.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Your a better person than me Vision :D. I say this because if I knew there wasn't a God I would be committing all kinds of sin. Not the kind that outright hurts anyone, just the kinds that destroy society ;)
Pandora
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Pandora »

agreed, Vision. Religion can propose morals that groups of people can subscribe to, but of course this can come from other sources as well (I mentioned philosophy in my original post as an example), and individuals can make up their own morals (I am pretty much atheist myself, but do find me a pretty good person overall :wink:). On the other hand, I think it is easy for us to say that now, given that we have been living with Christian morals for several hundred years. We have had training, so to say.

What religion achieves, and that goes beyond what individuals can do, is create morals that a large group of people subscribes to. That's no small feat. Also, it also comprises work ethics and so on. I do believe that religion is to a large part responsible for the rise of the big cultures we have now. In a way, I don't think science would have worked out all so well, if it had not been couched in the flourishing religious societies.

If you want to put it in scientific terms, I think religions are memes in the strongest sense. Mental states, beliefs, that, when taken up, confer some survival advantage to the individual (and thereby to the group they belong to). Think of it like this. If you know somebody else is a believer, too, then you can be pretty sure he won't f*ck you over too much, giving you a very good basis for cooperation.
Pandora
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Pandora »

Vision, by the way, could you summarize the argument in the TED talk. Sorry, I really can't stand watching videos for information. I'd much rather read.
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

I agree with your view on the past benefit of religion as a means of furthering civilization. But I also feel like we are outgrowing it. We are a global society now more than ever and the challenges we face as a civilization can't be met with religion alone. I guess this is a trend that started hundreds of years ago.
Pandora wrote:Vision, by the way, could you summarize the argument in the TED talk. Sorry, I really can't stand watching videos for information. I'd much rather read.
Sure, I don't like videos either. Harris says, in the simplest of terms, that moral behavior is quantifiable. In a somewhat utilitarian sense, we can measure the quantity or quality of happiness or good-will in a society. And because it is measurable (though there are some philosophical hurdles remaining) science can eventually be used to make predictions. This is already being done, but without directly implying the connection between science and morality. For example, we know that the more freedom and more education women have in a society, the more that society benefits through lowering of crime, disease, and whatnot. Of course, the number of variables and the amount of data you would need to collect is immense, and there is no real way to run a controlled experiment. But that's the idea, and it's one worth exploring IMO.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

Pandora wrote:...I was talking about the core functions both have, and that can't be fulfilled by the respective other. Religion simply does not provide any methods that would help us learn about the natural world, make predictions, and develop new technologies from our theories. Similarly, there is no way in which science can offer us any morals, ideals and so on (without committing the naturalistic fallacy). Historically, of course, one of the two might overreach and fill the void if the other is not well developed, but will soon need to withdraw when it does.
Do we need it though? It's like asking religion what colour shirt to wear. Morality is simply not something we need to consult an absolute authoritative source on, we do just fine consulting our genetic inherentance and millenia of built up cultural baggage.
I mean in what way do you we need to consult a God to help us answer the trolley problem? We can make these decisions ourselves, even study them.
Hell dude, you're the one studying mirror neurons, i'd have thought you'd be the first to bring up the evolutionary basis for morality in social animals. :?

Regarding the Naturalistic fallacy, I'd suggest that it's only purpose was to compete with (or even sure up, whatever) an absolute authoritative source of morality (ie: it merely exists to oppose another fallacy). But there is no absolute source, and in the absence of it - the whole naturalist morality speel can soften up and stop claiming authority too. I really do hope it softens up, maybe into 'the naturallistic preference why not', and not become a religion in it's own right.

Pandora wrote:
Science was formalised as an alternative to that nonsense strategy, and it is by it's very nature destined to overlap everything that any religion has ever laid claim to.
I think you are underestimating science here. Science is part of human nature, from early on. Infants learn about the world using scientific methods of predict, test, revise, etc. Watch a boy figure out the rules of when something swims. But it goes even deeper. Our brain uses scientific principles for almost all computations. Even basic vision uses it. You come up with an idea of what the image is. You check other aspects of it (often by acting, like moving your eyes, shifting your angle on the object). Then you either confirm or try out a new hypothesis. Of course, all this happens so quickly that we are not aware of it, but nevertheless the scientific method is present in all of us from the outset.
This is why i talked about it in terms of a "FORMALISATION" of science, to seperate it from our instinctive and fallacy prone common-sense. If our common sense wasn't so prone to fallacies, we wouldn't have ever needed to formalise science into a seperate thing at all, our common-sense would have sufficed.
We humans basically have an instinctive need to be dumbasses. Finding safe & reversable ways to satiate this hunger-to-be-a-dumbass in myself, sounds like a good way to explain to others my sense of spirituality :lol: .

Pandora wrote:agreed, Vision. Religion can propose morals that groups of people can subscribe to, but of course this can come from other sources as well (I mentioned philosophy in my original post as an example), and individuals can make up their own morals (I am pretty much atheist myself, but do find me a pretty good person overall :wink:). On the other hand, I think it is easy for us to say that now, given that we have been living with Christian morals for several hundred years. We have had training, so to say.
What of non-Abrahamic cultures, like China? At the end of the day millennium we all seem to settle into very similar ethical frameworks regardless. I wonder if it may have to do with the maturity of a culture, you reach a certain critical mass of collective written works (and scholarship of it), and everything else starts falling into place as lessons from your history become increasingly undeniable. The same lessons seem to be learned independently in many cultures, like convergent cultural evolution.

Actually this gets murky, as Jesus' ideals were very similar to Eastern philosophy and religion, it's theorised he (or his influences) may have been a traveller to/from the Indies & Asia.

What religion achieves, and that goes beyond what individuals can do, is create morals that a large group of people subscribes to. That's no small feat. Also, it also comprises work ethics and so on. I do believe that religion is to a large part responsible for the rise of the big cultures we have now. In a way, I don't think science would have worked out all so well, if it had not been couched in the flourishing religious societies.

If you want to put it in scientific terms, I think religions are memes in the strongest sense. Mental states, beliefs, that, when taken up, confer some survival advantage to the individual (and thereby to the group they belong to). Think of it like this. If you know somebody else is a believer, too, then you can be pretty sure he won't f*ck you over too much, giving you a very good basis for cooperation.
agreed.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

[youtube]3F3ovb2kZ9Q[/youtube]
Pandora
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Pandora »

roid wrote:Do we need it though? It's like asking religion what colour shirt to wear. Morality is simply not something we need to consult an absolute authoritative source on, we do just fine consulting our genetic inherentance and millenia of built up cultural baggage.
I mean in what way do you we need to consult a God to help us answer the trolley problem? We can make these decisions ourselves, even study them.
Hell dude, you're the one studying mirror neurons, i'd have thought you'd be the first to bring up the evolutionary basis for morality in social animals.
Morals is a bit too narrow ...I should have chosen a different word (but not sure how to call it: code of conduct, maybe? but then there is certain ideals, traditions, and so on). But anyways, even when talking narrowly about morals, the mirror neuron literature does not paint quite such a rosy picture. On the one hand, it is clear (to me at least) that there is something like "natural morals". On the other hand, this mechanism does not seem to be all encompassing. there is quite a bit of evidence, for example, empathy related brain activity (and behaviour) breaks down as soon as the other person is of a different race, has social stigmata, or is just not somebody we think is very similar to us. In such a world, (something like) religion can be a great integrator that helps people work together and identify with one another, which would otherwise not have happened.
Pandora wrote:This is why i talked about it in terms of a "FORMALISATION" of science, to seperate it from our instinctive and fallacy prone common-sense. If our common sense wasn't so prone to fallacies, we wouldn't have ever needed to formalise science into a seperate thing at all, our common-sense would have sufficed.
I can agree to that. I just don't believe that science was invented to usurp religion (as was suggested in the original post). Science would have been developed (I believe), even if there never had been religion.
What of non-Abrahamic cultures, like China? At the end of the day millennium we all seem to settle into very similar ethical frameworks regardless. I wonder if it may have to do with the maturity of a culture, you reach a certain critical mass of collective written works (and scholarship of it), and everything else starts falling into place as lessons from your history become increasingly undeniable. The same lessons seem to be learned independently in many cultures, like convergent cultural evolution.
yup, I agree. It almost doesn't seem to matter which religion it is, as long as there is religion.

I think of it in this way. If religions were not useful (at least during human history), they would have died out already. That's just basic natural selection logic. Given that all the dominant societies nowadays are also religious, they must confer a quite substantial benefit on those who follow them. My problem with calls for replacing religion is that we have not quite figured out what these advantages are. My hunch is that if we would get away with religion we would find out very quickly - and painfully - how efficient tools they have been.

An analogy (from another science field). In motor control, there is the problem how people can - quickly and effectively - control all the hundreds of motor parameters required to control even the simplest of acts. The control problem is just too difficult --- the robotics people have tremendous problems implementing something like it, for example. The solution, it seems, is that we don't. Rather, we appear to control our bodies through imagery - by imaging how the action would look and feel if successful - and our motor cortices take it from there and transform this simple image into the complex motor commands required to achieve it. Trouble typically ensues when people start to endeavor to control low level aspects of their actions --- this is one of the classical reasons of "choking" in sports.

My hunch is that religion is something very similar. We might not know yet how it works, but it might be a very effective control parameter for the smooth operation of large scale societies. Do we really want to replace it and start fiddling with all the hundreds of single control parameters? Religions have similarly evolved over thousands of years to be as effective as they are, in the same way as our motor system.

Just one example: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/5120662.stm
They found people put nearly three times as much in [to pay for a drink they they could take] when a poster of a pair of eyes was put above the box than when the poster showed flowers.
So just the presence of eyes may make people more honest. Of course, the all seeing eyes/gods are prominent images in religion. This may just be one of the direct effects of religions on society that would be hard to replicate otherwise.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Good Post
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

Pandora wrote:I think of it in this way. If religions were not useful (at least during human history), they would have died out already. That's just basic natural selection logic. Given that all the dominant societies nowadays are also religious, they must confer a quite substantial benefit on those who follow them. My problem with calls for replacing religion is that we have not quite figured out what these advantages are. My hunch is that if we would get away with religion we would find out very quickly - and painfully - how efficient tools they have been.

My hunch is that religion is something very similar. We might not know yet how it works, but it might be a very effective control parameter for the smooth operation of large scale societies. Do we really want to replace it and start fiddling with all the hundreds of single control parameters? Religions have similarly evolved over thousands of years to be as effective as they are, in the same way as our motor system.
Richard Dawkins touches on this idea in "The God Delusion." If I remember correctly, he says that religion certainly played an important role for early humans for some of the same reasons you mentioned. However, he sees religion as more of an evolutionary byproduct that manifests due to certain structures, and is likely on the way out as it becomes less useful to us (from an evolutionary standpoint). Interesting idea I guess.

Personally, I don't think religion will go away completely because it is intertwined with our imaginations and desires. But, I think religion will keep transforming over the next few thousand years until it becomes unrecognizable to anything we know today. My guess is it will be absorbed into a new, more useful paradigm. You can see it happening right now. Christianity is one of the more progressive religions (but not the most progressive by a longshot) and knows that it has to stay current. That's why theologists keep reinventing god in more obscure forms. And, you can see how people (in the US for instance) are more and more often rejecting membership of the major religions in favor of the blanket term "spiritual." It's evolution at work.