For the Horde!

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

For the Horde!

Post by Top Gun »

Since goofy threads seem to be the norm around here now, lemme try! Apparently, the Maine Republican Party feels that a certain Democratic candidate for state Senate isn't fit for public office because--get this--she plays an Orc Rogue in World of Warcraft. Seriously. Look at the site they created to follow her online activity. You can't make this ★■◆● up.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re: For the Horde!

Post by Tunnelcat »

I guess she's not "normal" enough to run for office. I guess that rules me out too. I've played quite a few violent characters in video games in the past. I mean COME ON, IT'S JUST A GAME, MORONS! I smell desperate GOP tea partiers trying to win at any cost. They're now dredging in the bottom of the morality barrel. :P
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

LOL…

“Studies have found the average WoW gamer is 28, and spends 22.7 hours a week playing in Azeroth.”

I think this lady needs to get a job.

After reading that site, I have to say…you aren’t doing her any great service posting this.

The thing here is…if she drags her politics into her online life, then it’s fair game.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

I've heard about a number of cases where employees have lost their positions due to poor choices about what they make public via online forums/facebook/twitter/etc. It's not always fair, but in a climate where appearance is so important, it happens.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with her online gaming life, and while I think it's pretty low for her opponent to stoop to that kind of mud-slinging, she probably should have made her online identity less public. Most voters will probably understand, I think, but there will be a few who may be swayed by the opponent pointing to it.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

it's Maine, people. They're all sort of odd up there, in a good way......
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Yeah. That's where Stephan King lives. :twisted2:
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Spidey wrote:LOL…

“Studies have found the average WoW gamer is 28, and spends 22.7 hours a week playing in Azeroth.”

I think this lady needs to get a job.

After reading that site, I have to say…you aren’t doing her any great service posting this.

The thing here is…if she drags her politics into her online life, then it’s fair game.
Yeah man, God forbid people be able to do normal things and talk normally on the Internet.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Who said anything about normal or not, do you give your straw men names?
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

You yourself insinuated that people who play WoW are generally jobless shut-ins, and you seem to suggest that normal random online posts are fair game for twisting around like this. So yeah, not exactly straw here.

(Seriously, who doesn't want to drown Grover Norquist in their bathtub?)
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Top Gun wrote:(Seriously, who doesn't want to drown Grover Norquist in their bathtub?)
Hell, I do! :twisted2:
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

Fundies still think that D&D is for devil worshippers right? I wonder if that's a mental association the campaigners are hoping to trigger in that demographic (without saying it, ie: codeword).
Aggressor Prime
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Aggressor Prime »

/begin rage

From her posts, she doesn't know how to play WoW correctly. For instance, dungeon runs are not supposed to be events that take forever. If someone, normally the tank as they set the pace, can run you through a dungeon without pausing, you should be thanking him for allowing you to get in, get out, and move to the next task/dungeon. Without that quick attitude, you won't get things done in WoW. If you are dying left and right due to a quick tank, as a DPS, since she is a rogue, it is always your fault. Tank dies, healer's fault. Healer dies, tank's fault. DPS dies, DPS's fault.

Second, a guild that caters to the lower members, by actually putting aside time to craft materials for them, is highly inefficient. Sure, they can put trash in the bank that lower levels can use. However, to be successful, a guild needs to focus on end-game content. There is only so much focus a guild leader can bring, and that focus should not be spread on the low level alts.

Third, she is an Orc rogue on a PVP server. Three things are wrong with that which makes her fall into one big stereotype, which is probably true by the way. Horde players suffer from more derp than Alliance. Rogue players suffer from the most derp of any class. PVP server players suffer from more derp than PVE. Of course the derp here refers to the ability to do PVE content. The classic horde rogue from a PVP server will do dungeons and raids in PVP gear, and then complain about how the raid is failing without realizing they are the problem. Also, she made a comment about failing at playing a DK. DK's are easy, probably moderate in difficulty compared to all the other classes. Warlocks and shadow priests are the hardest classes, and they really aren't hard at all if you have a brain. If she fails at DK's, she really is derp.

Yeah, this has nothing to do with politics and everything to do with this politician's quality as a gamer, which could be an insight into real world qualities. If I were running the Republican show, I would use the platform to just show how much she fails as a gamer as can be easily extracted by her comments.

/end rage
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

i bet she's skippy and just WON'T TAKE A PACKET.
(am i saying it right? :E)
Aggressor Prime
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

I don't know what you are talking about.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

i think i am using the Descent multiplayer words
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

You got it about right, roid. 8)
Aggressor Prime
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

But that has to do with a player's connection to the peers or server. I mean I guess you could twist the meaning to work with WoW.
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

Yes... I think that the combination of lower movement speeds, a lot more range/aim forgiveness, and auto-face make a poor connection painful for the person whose connection is bad and basically nobody else.
Arch Linux x86-64, Openbox
"We'll just set a new course for that empty region over there, near that blackish, holeish thing. " Zapp Brannigan
CobGobbler
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by CobGobbler »

She has a BigRye connection.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

http://descentbb.net/viewtopic.php?p=307574#p307574
Read and enjoyed it, though I've never played WoW.
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-★ ·:*¨༺꧁༺ :E ༻꧂༻¨*:·.★-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

SHE WON!

http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/ingam ... -1C6892843
http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/ingame/world-warcraft-playing-candidate-wins-election-1C6892843 wrote:...
But while the Maine GOP had hoped the "World of Warcraft" outing would sour people on her as a candidate, it seemed to have the exact opposite effect. Lachowicz suddenly found herself in the international spotlight, appearing in headlines and on news programs around the world (check out my interview with her here) as gamers flocked to her defense and showered her with support.

And then, on Tuesday night, Lachowicz beat Martin with the final vote tally at 8,666 to 7,753. Despite the small numbers, it was a big win, especially since the Democratic Legislative Campaign Committee had labeled Maine's District 25 state senate race one of the key battlegrounds in the country.

"I’m so glad people were able to reject the negative personal attacks that have no place in politics," she told NBC News by phone Wednesday. "It really should be about talking to people about what they want in their government. Not the negative stuff. No one needs that."

She said that she believes, ultimately, the Republican attacks backfired on the party.

"So many people in the district were just appalled," she said. "And a lot of the people I talked to were young, first-time voters and they seemed to be the most incensed by it. They saw it as a personal attack over something that is a normal activity these days — to play video games. And I heard some people say, 'Oh they're saying the same thing about me.'"
I wonder if this will change strategies on negative politics in the future.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Probably not. Politics is dirty. Mudslinging has always been a time honored tradition, and a habit hard to break.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

CobGobbler wrote:She has a BigRye connection.
I see what you did there.