Happy Thanksgiving, Americans!

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Happy Thanksgiving, Americans!

Post by callmeslick »

I hope you furriners on here have a fine day, too. Still, I'd like to wish a Happy Thanksgiving to all those of you here in the US.
Personally, I'm spending today prep-cooking, so I have to do far less tomorrow(freeing valuable football-watching time). On tap for today:
1. Prepare two batches of stuffing; a basic bread/cornbread mix with some celery and mushrooms to go into the bird, and a second one with oysters, mushrooms, onions and pecans that bakes separately.
2. Prepare a green bean cassarole(basic, easy but everyone seems to demand it)
3. Steam, season and chill cocktail shrimp(without eating them all before tomorrow...the hardest part of the process).
4. Prepare corn pudding and cook, so that all I have to do tomorrow is reaheat it briefly.

The wife is making spoonbread(first attempt for a Northerner, fingers crossed) and a lemony dessert my mother likes, and the two of us are eating up leftovers today to make room for the turkey day leftovers tomorrow.

Have a great day, one and all!
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re: Happy Thanksgiving, Americans!

Post by woodchip »

I wonder what these folks will be eating?:

"More Americans will use food stamps to buy their Thanksgiving dinner this year than ever before, according to a new report from the nonprofit government watchdog group The Sunlight Foundation."

God Bless us, every one. Tim Cratchit
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

woodchip wrote:I wonder what these folks will be eating?:

"More Americans will use food stamps to buy their Thanksgiving dinner this year than ever before, according to a new report from the nonprofit government watchdog group The Sunlight Foundation."

very true, Woodchip. It's yet another signpost on the way to the two tiered society we have been becoming for 3 decades. Thank goodness that we are enlightened enough and wealthy enough of a nation to provide those food stamps. Oh, and turkey is not that expensive a meal to prepare,at 79 cents per pound, so it is nice to know those folks won't be starving, as would be the case if certain parties got into power.
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

callmeslick wrote:
woodchip wrote:I wonder what these folks will be eating?:

very true, Woodchip. It's yet another signpost on the way to the two tiered society we have been becoming for 3 decades. Thank goodness that we are enlightened enough and wealthy enough of a nation to provide those food stamps. Oh, and turkey is not that expensive a meal to prepare,at 79 cents per pound, so it is nice to know those folks won't be starving, as would be the case if certain parties got into power.
Yeah, if those certain parties got into power, unemployment would come down and people wouldn't need to be on food stamps.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

woodchip wrote: Yeah, if those certain parties got into power, unemployment would come down and people wouldn't need to be on food stamps.

right, because it's always happened that way before when they had the chance, right? :roll:

Those were the people that pushed the hardest for the two tiered mess we are in, I'm sure they'd do a bang up job at reversing course.....
George Orwell---"1984"
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Pssst, comrade, here's a little secret...those who control the Democratic party enjoy the "two tiered" system as much as those on the right.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

woodchip wrote:Pssst, comrade, here's a little secret...those who control the Democratic party enjoy the "two tiered" system as much as those on the right.
not really.....they may benefit from it, but most of us are alarmed at where it's taking us.
And, to return to the theme of this thread, which Woodchip felt compelled to turn into yet another ideological rant of dubious merit.....
A Happy Thanksgiving to one and all on this board! :)
George Orwell---"1984"
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Post by CUDA »

DO WE HAVE TO ★■◆● UP EVERY THREAD WITH POLITICS!!!!!!! :rant:

damn-it people wish someone a Happy T-day, and say thank you when they do, put the petty bull★■◆● aside :x
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

callmeslick wrote:
woodchip wrote:Pssst, comrade, here's a little secret...those who control the Democratic party enjoy the "two tiered" system as much as those on the right.
not really.....they may benefit from it, but most of us are alarmed at where it's taking us.
And, to return to the theme of this thread, which Woodchip felt compelled to turn into yet another ideological rant of dubious merit.....
A Happy Thanksgiving to one and all on this board! :)
Hmmm...somehow my post of commiserating with those who may not have a truly happy thanksgiving gets blamed for turning it into a political thread. Whatever. Happy thanksgiving to those of you who have something to be thankful for.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

CUDA wrote:DO WE HAVE TO **** UP EVERY THREAD WITH POLITICS!!!!!!! :rant:

damn-it people wish someone a Happy T-day, and say thank you when they do, put the petty **** aside :x
Not from me today. Happy Thanksgiving to everyone. :)

I'm not making a Turkey this year. It's a lot of work and I'm lazy this time. I decided to splurge and get a Prime Rib roast, $34 worth, with sides of mashed potatoes and gravy and mushroom green bean casserole, with homemade bread. Since it's near my hubby's birthday, there is a white and chocolate double layer cake for dessert. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm! We're gonna get stuffed, but we'll enjoy ourselves doing it. :P
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

My body is ready for the feast.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

CUDA wrote:DO WE HAVE TO ★■◆● UP EVERY THREAD WITH POLITICS!!!!!!! :rant:
Thank you. Happy Thanksgiving Day.
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Post by CUDA »

Sorry Jeff.

lost it :shock:

I'll discuss and debate politics with as much vigor and passion as the next guy, maybe even more so. but I didn't see the need to do it now.
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

:lol:
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-★ ·:*¨༺꧁༺ :E ༻꧂༻¨*:·.★-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

That was definitely the correct response CUDA. I see I need to install the :highfive: emoticon... :P
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Happy Thanksgiving! May the day be filled with friends, family, food and merriment!

EDIT: :E :mrgreen:
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

@ flip: Image
-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-★ ·:*¨༺꧁༺ :E ༻꧂༻¨*:·.★-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-
Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Burlyman »

I saw Macy's parade with some of the Natives singing. Made me sick.
--Neo, the fourth greatest pilot in the universe
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

I went hunting this morning to see if I could add venison to the menu, but it didn't turn out. Happy Thanksgiving!
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Today I got to witness 2 businessmen squabble over a few pennies worth of sugar packets…

The store owner’s contention was…”That’s way too much sugar, for 2 cups of coffee”.
The customer’s contention was …”the sugar is free, right”

Well to cut a story short…the cops were called…

Happy Thanksgiving
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Sergeant Thorne wrote:I went hunting this morning to see if I could add venison to the menu, but it didn't turn out. Happy Thanksgiving!
Come to my house and sit on the front porch. It'd be easy pickin's. They walk by at all times of the day. Even a 4 pointer pranced through the other day. Although, come to think of it, it IS illegal to shoot the little turds within the city limits and they just might plop yer rear end in the pokie if you did. :P
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TechPro »

I totally enjoyed Thanksgiving this year. I didn't visit the E&C at all that day. :lol:
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

It's nice to spend time with family that I don't see most of the year. I guess feasting is the universal way to come together, be happy and get stuffed. Damn, I gained 2 pounds doing it too. But it was wonderful. Now I'm going to sit back, eat tortilla chips and cheese dip and watch the Civil War Football game between OSU and the University of Oregon. Go Beavs!
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Why is this in E&C ?
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Only forum slick posts in.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Spidey nails it. :)
George Orwell---"1984"