Geocore

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

psionik
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Geocore

Post by psionik »

Multiplayer Alpha testing has begun, and I need pilots.
Please sign up by emailing geocore.testing@gmail.com

No DRM.
No BS.
Linux Support.
Lan Support.
TrackIR Support.
Full and multiple joystick support.
Competition grade gameplay.

GEOCORE:

Progress updates and Steam group at:
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/geocore

Main Website:
http://geo-core.net
There's just enough religion in the world to make men hate one another but not enough to make them love.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Re: Geocore

Post by Alter-Fox »

Sounds like a plot for a Doctor Who episode.
Not that that's a bad thing...
Ship's cat, MPSV Iberia: beware of cat.
Beware my original music, at http://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden.
psionik
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by psionik »

The storyline? I hope to implement that if I can get the funding to do that much work, but the game title will be multiplayer only for now. I will edit that page accordingly. Thanks for looking!
There's just enough religion in the world to make men hate one another but not enough to make them love.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

I know I'm in the minority on this, in this community, but I'm not really interested in games without a singleplayer story.
The exploration, tons of explodium, and finding of secrets are what sell a game for me.

Which is probably why so few of today's ultra-linear shooters interest me.
psionik
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by psionik »

I would love to do something like that but I have to be realistic about the scope of work I can complete. Multiplayer is very doable and in fact is working already and from what I have tested so far it is very fun even without all the weapons and graphical frills. Kickstarter is an option I have on the table but I want more functionality and content before I attempt that. I do want people to know that single player is a possibility so I left the storyline up.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Steam for Linux is beta at the moment. I suppose this will be available through on that, right?
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-★ ·:*¨༺꧁༺ :E ༻꧂༻¨*:·.★-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
psionik
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by psionik »

I'd love to be on Steam, but right now I am just working with Unity 4 which builds for Linux. Anyone interested in testing is welcome, and can sign up by mailing me at geocore.testing@gmail.com.
Pandora
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Pandora »

wow, this looks great, Psionik!

what are the system requirements?
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Looks awesome, Psionik!

Is your alpha-testing limited to a certain number of pilots? I don't have much free time to play lately, so I don't want to end up taking a more active pilot's slot by signing up...
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Are you not violating the copyright of Descent? Your ships look like the ones in D and your fusion effect is similar? Not trying to be mean but don't want you to be shot down by Interplay half way through.
Corsair Vengeance 64GB 2x32 6000 DDR5, Asus PRIME B760-PLUS S1700 ATX, Corsair RM1000x 1000 Watt PS 80 Plus Gold,WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD, WD Blue SN580 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD, Noctua NH-D15S Universal CPU Cooler, Intel Core i7-14700K 5.6GHz, Corsair 5000D AIRFLOW Tempered Glass Mid-Tower ATX, Asus GF RTX 4070 Ti Super ProArt OC 16GB Video, WD Black 6TB 7200RPM 256MB 3.5" SATA3, Windows 11
psionik
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by psionik »

Pandora: I am not a super great artist so I will probably not be using outrageous assets in this title, and by that I mean the requirements should be fairly low. I am aware that a lot of us don't upgrade our machines every year, and I want to support you guys as far back as I can. I am using Unity, and if you have a slower older machine I would be glad to include you in testing. Send an email to geocore.testing@gmail.com.

Foil: Right now there is no limit, I need a list of people I can hit up when I need to test things, its usually at 3a.m. and consists of a skype message like "Hey click this and hit a button" which doesn't work the way I intended and then I go back to coding. I need Joystick users, linux users, mac users, etc. Sign up if you would like to help because honestly lack of testers is holding me back right now.

Mer: I won't deny that I want my game to make the pilots feel at home, but I don't think I am in any danger as I carefully avoid any direct copies of their work, and I am not using the name Descent, which is the only thing they hold a copyright on. I don't think you can copyright a projectile, but if you can - anyone want to put up money to copyright purple blobs in a video game? Then _I_ will hold the copyright and they will have to come to me to use it in their own game, which IMO would be their fault anyway for neglecting the pilots for this long. At the very least if they do try to harass me I can change the color and give them no ground to claim anything whatsoever. Also, my ship looks nothing like a pyro if you compare them directly. Pyros are flat, blocky, shapeless things, and my ship is far from that with its built in guns, triangular silhouette, aggressive stance, and large engines. I understand that my ship heavily evokes Descent and that is indeed on purpose, but the original pyros are 20 polygon things from 1995 and have no real detail. Evolution of the idea? Yes. Copy? Hell no. Mine's better :P
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Thanks Psionik. Good luck.
Corsair Vengeance 64GB 2x32 6000 DDR5, Asus PRIME B760-PLUS S1700 ATX, Corsair RM1000x 1000 Watt PS 80 Plus Gold,WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD, WD Blue SN580 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD, Noctua NH-D15S Universal CPU Cooler, Intel Core i7-14700K 5.6GHz, Corsair 5000D AIRFLOW Tempered Glass Mid-Tower ATX, Asus GF RTX 4070 Ti Super ProArt OC 16GB Video, WD Black 6TB 7200RPM 256MB 3.5" SATA3, Windows 11
sdfgeoff
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by sdfgeoff »

Mail sent....
Eh?
psionik
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by psionik »

Merlin: I've known you far too long to not take your input seriously, and since I don't believe the game will suffer from the change, I have adjusted the colors on my weapons to all be unique to Geocore.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

You didn't have to do that. Just we've all know how hard Interplay can play at protecting there copyrights.
psionik
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by psionik »

In retrospect I simply believe you are right, and your words coincide with the motto I learned long ago from V.I.N.C.E.N.T.

Better safe than sorry.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Absolutely. I've learned in my life it's way better to be safe than sorry. Good luck. If I had more time to test I would help but I'm currently already testing 2 other games and still enjoying Diablo 3.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

Yeah, Interplay's lawyers are very trigger-happy.
They completely ignore the fact that they've never failed... to lose a lawsuit.
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

If I correctly understood, it is a question of creation of the multiplayer game similar to Descent which will be available to Steam's mass audience. I can tell that levels (maps) have very great value. In Descent there are successful and unsuccessful levels for game in a multiplayer. It is important for popularity of new game, on mine. As for possible claims Interplay by into the account of copying of game, simply lawyers don't need to give a reason to earn on itself. To make the ships, the weapon and other details the most unlike. And the type of the game constructed on the principle of a corridor computer game shooter game on mine can't be patented. It would be too.