Feedback on idea for web development

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Feedback on idea for web development

Post by Thenior »

Looking for feedback, critical or not, on an idea I've been mulling around.

Some time ago, I had the idea of creating a series of web development tutorials. Unlike something like the Lynda series, these tutorials would be highly interactive. For instance, I might display a short video clip on Loop Functions, then provide a user input text box that allows the user to create their own Loop Function. They would receive context sensitive feedback on mistakes or success, like many debuggers or IDE's.

Though I can't recall the exact names, I came across a couple places offering similar services. In addition, when I approached a couple people for investment/mentoring, they told me they believed education was largely becoming free, and didn't have an interest in my current business model.

I've decided to re approach the idea from a different angle, and I'm looking for feedback from experienced individuals and people who might like to learn web development. Here is the model:
  • Free Education: All Learning resources would be totally free.
  • Browser/App based: All tools for learning would also be free, and completely browser or native mobile app based.
  • Fully Functional: All code editors would provide modern robust features such as context suggestions, debugging, etc. like Dreamweaver or Visual Studio.
  • Integrated Files: Connects to GIT, FTP, SVN, DropBox etc. for working with files. No need for multiple apps.
  • Live Editing: Shows realtime updates as you code in a separate browser window (no need for refreshing)
  • Visual Editor: Uses a tool like Chromium Console or Firebug lite to make visual changes and write back to code (more for CSS, etc.)
  • Shareable: Link to versions of code, like JSfiddle or similar systems.
For purposes of learning, all of the above would be free. For profit, users would pay to connect to their own FTP or server, or deploy on their environment, or perhaps if CPU cycles are needed (for a compiled language). Essentially, learn for free, pay for commercial.

In summary, the goal is to remove multiple pieces of software and converge technologies so they can be more fluid, more easily debugged, developed and deployed.

Thoughts?
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re: Feedback on idea for web development

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

So am I to understand you're looking to combine an interactive training platform with the ultimate web-based, cross-technology (which technologies? Javascript, CSS, ...?), web-development IDE?
Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Thenior »

Precisely. Starting out, it would be the most widely used languages, and probably ones I'm familiar with, like PHP/MySQL for server side, Javascript, CSS/HTML for client side. In time, I'd like to even branch out into compiled web languages, such as C#.

Other technologies would include extensive file management. No need for Git or SVN clients, FTP clients, etc. You could just connect the service directly to your file system and work away.

Been working on a HTML Mockup page to begin tracking progress of the project.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/37oty6fstgnhv4e/m2m.jpg
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

So what is your primary motivation for developing this? You said yourself you were vaguely aware of some competition in this general area (first rule is to be more than vaguely aware of competition). What is it specifically that makes yours special?

Why web-based? What are the Pros and are there any major Cons?
Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Thenior »

My primary motivation is that I personally feel that web coding, both development and education, could be much more streamlined. I would want a tool like this to use.

The only competition I'm aware of is in bits and pieces. For instance, http://www.thecodeplayer.com has a playback code system that shows live updates, a system that has some similarities.

http://buildorpro.com/ has some major similarities when it comes to the design tools - but it's all front-end design work.

http://www.codecademy.com has similar features when it comes to instruction and getting the users interaction, but there are no debugging/context features.

Ultimately what makes this system unique is that it provides advanced programming tools that enhance productivity that are only available on desktop software. In addition, it uses the web-based feature to it's advantage in that all editing results can be viewed live. It combines multiple beneficial technologies under one tool (and doesn't necessarily replace them).

The web-based pros are similar to that of any cloud based app. The potential for faster speeds when crunching, better data backup, any-location access. In this particular case, as mentioned, you can view results in real-time, and debug. Not just on a client code level, but deep server side PHP etc. debugging.

Major cons? Data security, proper sandboxing with server-side code, lack of offline user access (though this may be alleviated with local deployment options), browser compatibility.

If you know of cons or see potential problems or competition, I'd love to hear it. Looking for as much insight as I can get.
Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Capm »

I think this is a great idea, but I think it needs to be structured, like, built to use in tandem with a course study book.

Cisco has a tool similar in spirit for its certification classes, its called Packet Tracer, and it allows you to build virtual networks and you can log onto each machine in the network and configure all its settings, ping back and forth, like it was a real machine - configure the routers just as you would... You can watch traffic on the network. All in a virtual setting. The books for the courses have labs designed to run in this with various tasks etc, depending on the chapter contents.
--------------
----------
---Capm
http://www.midnightsquadron.com
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

there is too much domain crossing with your idea to encourage secure coding practices.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

You should be trying to make programming more difficult. ;)

In all seriousness though, many of the problems you're trying to solve are created by the technologies you've chosen to use, e.g., php. Why not teach something better?
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

x2 jeff

Also, one can just straight-up use python and write their own frameworks. $("Thenior").hide(300);
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-★ ·:*¨༺꧁༺ :E ༻꧂༻¨*:·.★-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Thenior »

Thank you everyone for the feedback - very helpful!
Capm wrote:I think this is a great idea, but I think it needs to be structured, like, built to use in tandem with a course study book.....
I totally agree - the idea is that it would provide "study book" materials as you go through a given subject, in a structured manner.
fliptw wrote:there is too much domain crossing with your idea to encourage secure coding practices.
Could you articulate on that? Are you saying that, since people will be learning on a fully integrated system, it won't really teach them how to program securely when they are in an environment that requires them to do whatever necessary integration is required?
Jeff250 wrote:...In all seriousness though, many of the problems you're trying to solve are created by the technologies you've chosen to use, e.g., php. Why not teach something better?
You're probably on to something here Jeff. I had originally approached PHP since that is the only server-side language I have much exposure to (most of my background is in client-side, UX/UI design work).

So perhaps offering initially "primitive" or at least outdated programming tools would be crippling the project - various frameworks such as Django, CodeIgniter, Backbone.js etc should be taught, or perhaps the languages utilized by those frameworks could be taught as one learned the framework.

There are other DBBers who are way ahead of my on programming knowledge. How do you see a similar version of this tool helping you learn? What do you wish you had to help you learn? Also, what inefficiencies in your development process do you see something like this enhancing and how?
Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Capm »

It might be better to follow the packet tracer example. Make a program where its a virtual lab. You run the program, and in it you have a "virtual server" to host your "virtual pages" on and run scripts etc. You could load the program onto a disc and package it with the book.
--------------
----------
---Capm
http://www.midnightsquadron.com
Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Thenior »

Capm wrote:It might be better to follow the packet tracer example. Make a program where its a virtual lab. You run the program, and in it you have a "virtual server" to host your "virtual pages" on and run scripts etc. You could load the program onto a disc and package it with the book.
I recall using similar systems when I was taking a few IT classes - they were essentially virtual workbenches and would let you assemble and test hardware. The thing is, however, there really isn't a reason to create a virtual system when learning web development. It would seem easier to utilize a web page from any system with all the material and tools right there, rather than being forced to run an executable on a specific platform using a CD.

That being said, everything would run in a sandbox, which takes care of security issues and is essentially a "virtual" platform.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Not only easier, but much more practical to utilize the web page environment--it saves you from falling behind browser updates and other technology changes (a problem that I suffered from with Dreamweaver). Since your environment IS the browser, your environment/rendering will always be up-to-date!