Core and Polaris

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

Viper1d
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Core and Polaris

Post by Viper1d »

I thought the retail version of Descent 3 / Mercenary came with Core and Polaris but did not see them on the list of levels to be played after completing the installation. Can these levels be downloaded from somewhere. I searched and found a lot of custom levels but not the original levels as first seen on Demo 1. Also would be interested on Taurus (Demo 2).

I installed from the retail CD's. I could install from the DATEILISTE download too as another solution if they reside there.
Viper1
roncli
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re: Core and Polaris

Post by roncli »

Core and Taurus are part of Fury, levels 1 and 5 respectively. I do not know if an official Outrage Polaris level exists for retail.

Core Classic and Polaris Classic were released as single levels by Suncho and Skyalmian respectively.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Polaris is included in the Bedlam pack, level 4.
roncli
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by roncli »

Aha! I thought I remembered another multiplayer pack other than Fury.
Viper1d
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Viper1d »

Thanks for the quick responses. I was able to download Core Classic and a few other levels.

One other question, in multi-level levels (like Fury), is there a server configuration command so it only cycles on one level?
Viper1
roncli
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by roncli »

Not using D3's config file, no. You can only specify the starting level, it will still cycle through the levels though.

There are some options.
- Use a dedicated server tool that only cycles through the levels you want. Now, I don't know if any of the active server tools allow for this, and I haven't looked at such tools in about 10 years, so this may or may not be an option, I don't know.
- Log in to the server as admin and issue the $warp <level> command. Of course, this means you'd have to have remote access to the server. If you're running the server on a box you control, you can also enter that command directly into the console.
Ryujin
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Ryujin »

Viper1d wrote:One other question, in multi-level levels (like Fury), is there a server configuration command so it only cycles on one level?
You can. It's recommended to host games with the D3 Server Tool. Using this tool, you can change "Loop On" to repeat the same level in a set. See this page for more info:

http://www.dateiliste.com/en/descent-3/ ... ation.html
Viper1d
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Viper1d »

Thanks for the useful info - sounds exactly what I need. I will download and check out the server tool. Can't remember if I used it in the past (many years ago) when I hosted some games. Still working on getting the LAN setup. Starting with 4 computers - hope to work up to 6 or 8 in the future.
Viper1
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Also, Core and Polaris are levels that are set as multiplayer only. So, unless you're hosting a multiplayer game, they won't show up on the level list. The same is true (rather) of the packs they belong to.