The Universe. It's big. I mean really, really, REALLY big!

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

The Universe. It's big. I mean really, really, REALLY big!

Post by Mobius »

Turns out the Universe is about 156 Billion light years in diameter. This means it's around 1.911 x 10^22 cubic light years in volume.

Big huh? :shock:

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/m ... 40524.html
suicide eddie
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by suicide eddie »

hmmm all that space and i still cant avoid the ex
Warlock
DBB 3D Artist
DBB 3D Artist

Post by Warlock »

<insert bob the kitty here>
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

3vil l33t
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by 3vil l33t »

That's it? For some reason I thought it was bigger.

This here says 78 billion. Strange, seems to be the only news article that says that; all the rest say 156.
De Rigueur
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by De Rigueur »

3vil l33t wrote:That's it? For some reason I thought it was bigger.

This here says 78 billion. Strange, seems to be the only news article that says that; all the rest say 156.
78 must be the radius.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

And in all that volume, we are the only intelligent life form :roll:
MehYam
DBB Head Flapper
DBB Head Flapper

Post by MehYam »

Intelligent?
TheCops
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TheCops »

suicide eddie wrote:hmmm all that space and i still cant avoid the ex
lol!
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

We are certainly not the only one woodchip. In fact, we may not even rate as intelligent on a universal scale. More like monkeys, or dogs perhaps.

Repeat after me: Absence of evidence is NOT evidence of absence.
Asrale
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Asrale »

Haha Mobi, I bet Bush would love that logic to explain the WMD situation. :P
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

Mobius wrote:We are certainly not the only one woodchip. In fact, we may not even rate as intelligent on a universal scale. More like monkeys, or dogs perhaps.

Repeat after me:

Yes it is.

Right now, for all practical purposes, we are the only intelligent life in the universe.

Right now, for all practical purposes, there is no God.

Until we find God or aliens, they don't really exist.
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

And the earth is still flat, and the sun revolves around the earth.

At 16 billion light years in size, there should be several billion galazies, right? Well, statistically, the rule of at least one should apply. What are the odds of our existence in this one galaxy? What if were the only intelligent life in this galaxy right now? WEll, given that our own existence as a statistical chance is mathematically insignificant, thats a definite possibility. However, stretch the same chance out across every star in every galaxy, the odds that AT LEAST ONE instance of intelligent life exists somewhere increases dramatically, to a point where there just HAS to be someone out there somewhere. The odds of there being no other intelligent life in a universe this size are so mathematically insignificant as to be unfathomably small.

Also, 16 billion light years is still smaller than some peoples egos. And thats sad.
Clayman
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Clayman »

Suncho wrote:
Mobius wrote:We are certainly not the only one woodchip. In fact, we may not even rate as intelligent on a universal scale. More like monkeys, or dogs perhaps.

Repeat after me:

Yes it is.

Right now, for all practical purposes, we are the only intelligent life in the universe.

Suncho, does argumentum ad ignorantiam mean anything to you? Or does logic not exist either in your universe? ;)
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

Suncho: my telephone number is absent from my profile. does that mean i don't have a telephone?

Also, if we're the only intelligent form of life in the universe, that would be an awfully big waste of space..
DigiJo
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by DigiJo »

hmm the universe is 78 billion lightyears in diameter? if it started with the big bang, and most scientists say its 15 billion years old, how can it be 78 billion lightyears in diameter now? matter must have traveled with speeds much faster then lightspeed then.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Digijo, you have to look at the radius to determine distance traveled.
DigiJo
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by DigiJo »

thats right woodship. if we assume that the age of the universe is right with 15 billion years and the radius of the universe is 39 billion lightyears, then the matter on the outer border of the universe has traveled with 2.6 times the lightspeed all the time.

so either the big bang theory, the assumed age of the universe, or the assumed radius is wrong.
Flatlander
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Flatlander »

Yeah, so what about Fermi's question (if there's other intelligent life, than where are they?)
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

DigiJo wrote:hmm the universe is 78 billion lightyears in diameter? if it started with the big bang, and most scientists say its 15 billion years old, how can it be 78 billion lightyears in diameter now? matter must have traveled with speeds much faster then lightspeed then.
that's explained further at the end of the article.

basically, it's not just the universe expanding outward from the big bang, but also dimentional space itself (ie: physical reality as we know it).

so as space expands out, it carrys the universe with it, therefore breaking past the speed of light barrier yes, but it doesn't cause any problems because i guess lightspeed is a measurement relative to the dimentional space. there is no speed or time outside of space.
so dimentional space may be expanding, but to us it doesn't appear to be, coz we are part of that dimention. it's relative.
and i guess there isn't much to be relative to, when you're talking about "outside our dimention of space time" ;).

ok stop me i'm starting to just make stuff up. hope my explanation wasn't too far off.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

Flatlander wrote:Yeah, so what about Fermi's question (if there's other intelligent life, than where are they?)
i guess the possible explanations are:

1- they don't exist

3- they exist but havn't (yet) found us, for the same reasons we *as yet* havn't found them: technological limitation, or for reasons stated in (3).

3- they exist, know of our presense, but can't contact/reach us because they too are limited by the laws of space time, and they are too far away. ie: they are still comming, it's a long trip.

4- they exist but have chosen to keep their distance or ignore us.

(i had to beat mobi to this :))
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

roid - if it didn't appear to be expanding to us, how then do we know the universe has a radius of 78 billion light years and not 15 billion? I don't quite get that bit...

And yes, if it's answered there, I'm too lazy to read the article :)
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

what about 5) They have found us and the U.S. Govt. is hiding all evidence in a secret underground base under Roswell?
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Or 6) They've already found us, and they're hiding on the dark side of the moon, waiting to kill us all :P.

P.S. Suncho, I'm not even going to go into why your logic is flawed :roll:.
DigiJo
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by DigiJo »

we have sending tv, radio, and similar emission for ~70 years now into space. so possible technical emission from earth, a proof to a extraterrestian species for life here on this planet, has moved a maximum of 70 lightyears, and has passed only the suns within a sphere with the radius 70 lightyears. thats probably 10-20 solarsystems out of billions.

so if someone is watching us out of a system farer away then 70 lightyears, he sees only a dead ball of dirt with no life on it.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

Sirius wrote:roid - if it didn't appear to be expanding to us, how then do we know the universe has a radius of 78 billion light years and not 15 billion? I don't quite get that bit...

And yes, if it's answered there, I'm too lazy to read the article :)
just skip to the end of it. it's the "update: i keep getting emails asking this very question!"

Diji i'm gonna count up the solarsystems within 70lightyears of SOL in celestia :)
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

roid decided now was a good time to BS when he wrote:Diji i'm gonna count up the solarsystems within 70lightyears of SOL in celestia :)
No you wont. You'll get bored and go play with a squishy moose or something.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

wow, Diji you were pretty close. within 70lightyears of earth, there's 26 stars with orbiting planets that we know of (ie: 26 solarsystems)

phear my patience vader :P
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

Mobius wrote:In fact, we may not even rate as intelligent on a universal scale. More like monkeys, or dogs perhaps.
Mobius, where on God's green earth do you get your fantastic delusions? Someone's been watching to many sci-fi movies and reading to many evolution writings.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

hmm, according to this the first radio signals were sent 108 years ago (1896).

108 light years from earth makes it 48-52 systems (ie: stars with orbiting planets) out there that could have picked up our signals.

if you take into account the time it would take for an answering signal to come back to us: that's only 13 planetary systems that we have currently contacted, and listened for a reply.

the closest planetary system to earth is 10light years away. which means (if they started replying right away) we would have recieved an answer signal from them in 1917.

we would have recieved an answer signal from the 2nd closest planetary system in 1926.
3rd: 1967
then in the 37years from 1967 to the present (2004) we've gone past the instant-reply deadlines for the next 9 closest planetary systems.

that was fun working that out.

[diji i edited and added a bunch of extra bits to this post probably after you had read it]
DigiJo
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by DigiJo »

48-52 systems out of billions. guess we just have to wait a few million years until our calls ring a bell somewhere ;)
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

156 billion light years? Doesn't sound all that infinite.

Thorne, do you really think that Humans could be in any running as far as intelligence is concerned? We're only a few points above animals. Only a minor percentage of the population is deemed even remotely intelligent. Most people only posess enough intellect to remember to take a shower every day.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

At 16 billion light years in size, there should be several billion galazies, right? Well, statistically, the rule of at least one should apply. What are the odds of our existence in this one galaxy? What if were the only intelligent life in this galaxy right now? WEll, given that our own existence as a statistical chance is mathematically insignificant, thats a definite possibility. However, stretch the same chance out across every star in every galaxy, the odds that AT LEAST ONE instance of intelligent life exists somewhere increases dramatically, to a point where there just HAS to be someone out there somewhere. The odds of there being no other intelligent life in a universe this size are so mathematically insignificant as to be unfathomably small.
I like how you do statistics... "this is a small chance, and this other thing is a big number, so if we multiply them, we get a big numbar!!!!!"

Without actually knowing the numbers (or at least having some estimate of their relative magnitudes) you can't really say whether the chances are good or bad.

An example: there is a 1 in 4 billion chance of a person winning the lottery (small chance) but I come from a family of 10 (big number). Overall chance: NIL.

Another example: there is a 1 in 4 billion chance of randomly generating the binary sequence 1101 0010 1001 1110 0011 0111 0000 0101 with a random number generator (small chance) and I'm running 5000 computers generating 1,000,000 random numbers per second for 3 weeks (big number). Overall chance: good.

A third example: there is a 1 in 10^150 chance of randomly generating the base-10 sequence [insert 150-digit sequence here] (small chance) and I'm running 5000 computers generating 1,000,000 random numbers per second for 3 weeks (big number). Overall chance: NIL.

A fourth example: there is a 1 in 26^3000 chance of generating all the letters on a single page of shakespeare in the right order (no punctuation or capitalization, assuming 50 lines x 60 characters; small chance) and I have 10^6 monkeys each with a typewriter, and 10^6 years, and each monkey creates 10^6 characters per year, for a total of 10^18 characters (big number). Overall chance: NIL.

With respect to the current issue: we don't have a good estimate of the chance of life arising on a well-suited planet over time. We're working from a sample of size 1 -- you can't do statistics with a sample of size 1. All we can do is philosophize. We can estimate how many well-suited planets there are in the universe, but stretching an unknown probability across them... is not enlightening. It could be that the overwhelming chance is we're the only life in the universe; it could be that almost every planet suitable to life is inhabited. We simply can't estimate that from the numbers we have. All the million-monkey math in the world won't help us there.
Admiral Thrawn
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Admiral Thrawn »

yea, it's large, but traversing it will be no problem now that we have the Stargate in our possession.
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

Suncho wrote:

Repeat after me:

Yes it is.

OMFG! I never thought I'd see the day that I agreed 100% with something Suncho posted / said....

I'm feeling ill now...
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Admiral Thrawn wrote:yea, it's large, but traversing it will be no problem now that we have the Stargate in our possession.
And this puppy too :) (which has a bunch of these...)

:D

I'm afraid the only alien life we've contacted is AceCombat, who's taken anal probing to a whole new level. ;)
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

*groans*
{Hawk}Liquid
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by {Hawk}Liquid »

who the hell cares ?
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Everyone just re-read the title of the post. If we had sigs again, I know what I'd put in mine :P.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

is there a turn out at the edge of the universe for a view point? .. what is there to look at?