Professionalism

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Professionalism

Post by woodchip »

In another thread comrade slick berated me because I made mention that cops are hardly ever there when a crime is actually taking place. He acted as though cops should bear no criticism. Now I could go back to the Rodney King debacle but I will instead show something more recent.

With the cop shooter in CA still on the lose, fear must be wetting the pants of some officers as they apparently have a shoot first mentality. Two women were out delivering newspapers and were driving a blue pickup. I guess the color blue on a truck is the only reason cops are now using to "shoot first ask questions later". In the linked photo I counted 20+ bullet holes in the womens truck. Some were on the drivers side and some were on the passenger side. This tells me the cops saw two people in the truck. I guess the thought the cop killer may have taken a hostage never entered there head as they tried to cover their bets by shooting both people.

So tell me again slick about how much more professional cops are and why they should carry guns and we shouldn't.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2 ... -shot.html
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Re: Professionalism

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Major lawsuit coming. They should of made sure it was him before opening fire or shoot at the tires.
Corsair Vengeance 64GB 2x32 6000 DDR5, Asus PRIME B760-PLUS S1700 ATX, Corsair RM1000x 1000 Watt PS 80 Plus Gold,WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD, WD Blue SN580 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD, Noctua NH-D15S Universal CPU Cooler, Intel Core i7-14700K 5.6GHz, Corsair 5000D AIRFLOW Tempered Glass Mid-Tower ATX, Asus GF RTX 4070 Ti Super ProArt OC 16GB Video, WD Black 6TB 7200RPM 256MB 3.5" SATA3, Windows 11
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

just because some cops screw up, isn't reason to tar them all. Bottom line, I trust a cop with a gun FAR more than Woodchip with a gun.
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

callmeslick wrote:just because some cops screw up, isn't reason to tar them all. Bottom line, I trust a cop with a gun FAR more than Woodchip with a gun.
Civilians with concealed carry permits are MUCH less likely to break ANY law than policemen. So put away your broad brush please.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Will Robinson wrote:
callmeslick wrote:just because some cops screw up, isn't reason to tar them all. Bottom line, I trust a cop with a gun FAR more than Woodchip with a gun.
Civilians with concealed carry permits are MUCH less likely to break ANY law than policemen. So put away your broad brush please.
no broad brush here....I specified Woody :)
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Well, you could trust me a lot more than the cops who put the women in the hospital.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

woodchip wrote:Well, you could trust me a lot more than the cops who put the women in the hospital.
maybe I could, but I don't :twisted:
George Orwell---"1984"
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Speaking of professionalism, let's keep the personal stuff out.

Feel free to talk about civilians with guns (trained vs. untrained is a good starting point), without making inferences about people here.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Foil wrote:Speaking of professionalism, let's keep the personal stuff out.

Feel free to talk about civilians with guns (trained vs. untrained is a good starting point), without making inferences about people here.
no problem, Foil.....just tweaking Woody for mentioning me, personally, twice in the OP. :)
George Orwell---"1984"
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Exactly. I'm talking to both of you.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

woody, at first I thought, yikes! when I heard about the LA police shooting 2 unarmed women out delivering newspapers. Then I thought, oh oh, I smell a big lawsuit coming against the LA police.

But I don't blame the cops for freaking out a little. Wouldn't you be a on edge if some nutcase was out there gunning for you and your family and you saw a truck headed towards you that looked like the one said suspect was driving? A suspect who is shooting any cop on sight without hesitation or provocation?
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Yeah, I'm not happy about a police policy of "shoot first, ask stupid questions later", even if I can understand that the police are under considerable duress at the moment, it was still unacceptable to open fire against any and every blue colored pickup truck they come across without first making sure it was the guy they were looking for (not to mention all the guy needs to do is steal a different car).

And I probably would trust woody more, since I have no reason to expect he would shoot unless he was shot at first.

Obviously the solution is to ban blue colored pickup trucks, that way only criminals will be driving them and it will be ok to shoot them all. :P
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

tunnelcat wrote:woody, at first I thought, yikes! when I heard about the LA police shooting 2 unarmed women out delivering newspapers. Then I thought, oh oh, I smell a big lawsuit coming against the LA police.

But I don't blame the cops for freaking out a little. Wouldn't you be a on edge if some nutcase was out there gunning for you and your family and you saw a truck headed towards you that looked like the one said suspect was driving? A suspect who is shooting any cop on sight without hesitation or provocation?
looks like the truck was not heading towards them as all the bullet holes are made from the back of the truck. If you are so nervous that you will shoot at anything blue first then I suggest those officers should excuse themselves from work or go sit behind a desk. The cops acted like scared rookies instead of journeymen officers.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Hey Krom and woody. I'm not condoning the behavior off these cops. We've got enough police with authority complexes to go around. They should be well enough trained to deal with any dangerous situation that arises. If they can't, they shouldn't even be out in the field. They're too trigger happy and need to be put on a desk job if they can't think before they shoot at someone. All I was pointing out was that they had a normal human response when someone is really on edge, under stress, full of adrenaline, and think they are about to be attacked. They're supposed to be trained to overcome that. In this case, I guess not. The 2 victims and the city, ie., the taxpayers of LA, will pay for these cops' mistake.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
SilverFJ
DBB Cowboy

Post by SilverFJ »

Hang 'em all high, we don't need 'em.
Same to the politicians.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Well, I see he went out like he said he would, if that's his body in the burned out rubble. He shot or killed a couple more officers, carjacked or stole a several people's cars at gunpoint and destroyed someone's cabin in the process. I guess that's the definition of either maximum overkill, suicide by cop or just plain crazy.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/12/us/lapd-attacks
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

What's crazy are all the people cheering him on.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

who is cheering him on, woody?
George Orwell---"1984"
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

You really do live in a bubble don't you?:

"Before his death, Christopher Dorner inspired an online following of devoted fans who hailed him as a hero, not a killer, CNN reports."

"Two Facebook pages - "We Stand with Chris Dorner" and "We Are All Chris Dorner" - collected more than 20,000 followers in the days leading up to vengeful cop-slayer's apparent death on Tuesday."

Are 20,000 enough or do you need more?
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

And, the silence was deafening…
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

sorry about the silence, but yes, I agree that is pretty damn twisted....I mean, I have some sympathy for a guy who clearly unravelled after serving his country, but to cheer on a murder rampage is, well, sick.
George Orwell---"1984"
SilverFJ
DBB Cowboy

Post by SilverFJ »

Right here buddy, among your own ranks, Dorner is/was an American hero. It's only the beginning, people soon will stand up everywhere.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

The police aren't helping themselves in the arena of public opinion. They're claiming that they didn't want to burn down the cabin and wanted to take him alive all along. Not so fast boys.............

"BURN IT DOWN!"
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

SilverFJ wrote:Right here buddy, among your own ranks, Dorner is/was an American hero. It's only the beginning, people soon will stand up everywhere.
WTF?

He didn't just fight the law enforcement folk who wronged him or opposed him... he decided to murder innocent people to bring attention to his case.

Fighting back against people you believe are corrupt/evil could potentially be construed as heroic. But killing their children and families who have zero connection to the case? That makes him a ★■◆●ing psycho.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

thanks, Foil....I was going to question what Silver thought he was trying to say. If, indeed, as it sounds, he was viewing Dorner as an example of an angry American standing up for justice, that is frightening. Dorner was insane, and sadly, was mentally unsound upon his return from military service. Tragic outcome, and a situation that might have been averted with more aggressive mental health intervention before the even returned to his police job.
If, however, Silver was implying that Dorner is but the first of a parade of traumatized Iraq/Afghanistan vets who are going to unleash tragedy on our society due to shoddy care for vets, I WILL agree with that estimate.
George Orwell---"1984"
SilverFJ
DBB Cowboy

Post by SilverFJ »

One has to do what they have to do to get a point across. You can sit there and pander to the masses, pretend like you're a perfect human being, say you love the police and how "grateful" you are to them for their "service", or you can realize the nation-wide epidemic of a militarized, thieving, oppressing, contemptuous police that perfectly peaceful people have to fear when they walk out their doors. They are goons, storm troopers, gestapo. You may count the number of "good cops", but remember that they are responsible for the rest of them just like they are any other criminals, but "professional courtesy" lets us know that we are less to the "good cops" than dirty, rotten gang members in uniform. It will be easy, as I'm sure you are about to do, to denounce me as a psychopath. That's fine with me. I have convictions, and though I am not about to go on a killing spree, I'm glad to see police and their collaborators go down under a hail of gunfire.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

what..

the.

★■◆●?
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

SilverFJ, do the speed limit and you won't have to see them as thugs...
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-★ ·:*¨༺꧁༺ :E ༻꧂༻¨*:·.★-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

I don't know what experience(s) got you to that viewpoint, Silver, but suffice it to say it comes off as batshit crazy.
George Orwell---"1984"
SilverFJ
DBB Cowboy

Post by SilverFJ »

I understand how you think I'm nuts. One day everyone will get it. I can wait. I wish I didn't have to.

By the time they come kicking your doors in and load you up it'll be too late :frown:

There is nothing I value more than our freedom.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

and acting like society will one day turn into a dystopian police-state helps.. how?
SilverFJ
DBB Cowboy

Post by SilverFJ »

Preparedness. Get ready, it's coming. A lot sooner than the nation thinks.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

SilverFJ wrote:Preparedness. Get ready, it's coming. A lot sooner than the nation thinks.
been watching too much Doomsday Preppers? Serious, why did you come to this conclusion? Hell, I'd be surprised if most of the local cops could even locate my house very quickly.....which is fine by me, until someone tries to burglarize it. What makes you think that we are on the verge of some heinous police state scenario that must be fended off by mental cases like Dorner, of all things?
George Orwell---"1984"
SilverFJ
DBB Cowboy

Post by SilverFJ »

I would be more than happy to discuss this, even if your intention is only to call me a psycho, but I feel this thread's been de-railed enough. I'll post a new thread entitled "The Coming Police State" in a bit where we can discuss this. Probably tomorrow.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

SilverFJ wrote:Preparedness. Get ready, it's coming. A lot sooner than the nation thinks.
the only time that would ever happen, is in. the. movies.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

I'll bet SilverFJ watches the show Doomsday Preppers. :P

But I have to agree that ever since 9/11, the police and military have been given far more powers to surveil and spy on Americans than they've ever had all through our history. That dreaded police state coming true worry may not be so far fetched.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

SilverFJ wrote:I would be more than happy to discuss this, even if your intention is only to call me a psycho, but I feel this thread's been de-railed enough. I'll post a new thread entitled "The Coming Police State" in a bit where we can discuss this. Probably tomorrow.
ok, not so much mocking as shocked on my part.....merely trying to lighten it up a bit.
George Orwell---"1984"