Looking for input from the networking gurus

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Looking for input from the networking gurus

Post by Thenior »

Hey everyone,

I've partnered with the owner of a local IT business to provide business development. We both recognize a need in the area for small security appliances for businesses, but I'm looking for input from the tech gurus here.

Right now, we are looking at systems like Raspeberry Pi with Nagios installed for monitoring connections, and checking for open ports etc. We are also looking at Pwnie Express products for Pen Testing.

My question is a) what appliances do you use for monitoring your network both for errors and for security? and b) the tools I am coming across are for monitoring, but don't really do anything other than notify me when there is a problem. What appliances or software can I use for active security protection, so it tries and actively protect the systems in place, not just sit idlely by and report errors. I was referred to the Cisco ASA 5500 series, but I'm not sure exactly what features it offers.

Keep in mind, these are small businesses. Some are credit unions, so security is important, but $10k appliances probably won't be reasonable unless it's justifiable.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re: Looking for input from the networking gurus

Post by Jeff250 »

Are you looking for an intrusion detection system (IDS)?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intrusion ... ion_system