Descent 2 Level Contest!

The place to promote and link to Descent levels - both multiplayer and singleplayer - D1, D2 and D3.

Moderators: Sniper, Xfing

LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Descent 2 Level Contest!

Post by LightWolf »

Rules:

1. You may submit up to 3 levels.
2. Add in any robots you want, as long as they are D1 & D2 robots (no custom/edited robots).
3. I don't care wether it's a boss level or reactor level, just make sure there's a reactor for mp (yes, you have to add players 0-7, as well as coops 8-10).
4. Have Fun :D

I will choose the top 15 levels to go into a mission. Once they're arranged, I will put the hog and mn2 files into another post.
Whatever I just said, I hope you understood it correctly. Understood what I meant, I mean.
#AllLivesMatter
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Re: Descent 2 Level Contest!

Post by Xfing »

I'd happily participate but I don't really have all that much free time, plus any level design work I do will go towards D1,5. Well still I wish you luck in gathering participants :)
Descent 1,5: Level layouts done: 52/54 Secret level layouts done: 1/6
LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by LightWolf »

Thank You! :D
Whatever I just said, I hope you understood it correctly. Understood what I meant, I mean.
#AllLivesMatter
LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by LightWolf »

Anyone want to sign up? Levels from prebuilt missions welcome.
#AllLivesMatter
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

Can you build levels yourself? If not, I suggest you start learning. There are many resources out there. That is probably the only way you'll be able to get the mission you want.
LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by LightWolf »

I am just using this as a way for others to show their stuff (I already know how well you can do). I am building a mission of my own. I just asked Kyouryuu if I can use a robot, but I plan to make that the only favor.
#AllLivesMatter
Naphtha
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Naphtha »

But that's the thing. You even admitted you already know there's some great designers out there and yet you're still asking others to create more levels for you, but if you really want to make yourself known, stop ripping off other people's ideas and start showing some of your own. You'll get critique on your own creations to help you find out what people are looking for, and then that'll help you with actually carving a name for yourself. (And word to the wise, when I say "a name for yourself," that means not ripping off someone else's. :P)
First Lieutenant for the Red Dragons in the Descent Rangers. Join our ranks today!
LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by LightWolf »

This is just a way to see how different level designers compare to each other. You might be thinking this is a trick to get others to "make the mission for me", but it's not. Who doesn't like to see who placed where in competitions? Who only wants stuff by one author\maker? I would be suprised if there were people in the world who were sent an e-mail every day that a new competition was being hosted somewhere. Now am I proving my point and not yours?
#AllLivesMatter
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

So you're making indeed a contest?
OK, so what about putting the links to some of our already made missions as a public showcase on this post? That could be a way to let ppl on this post know of each other missions (and effectively, to compare styles and tastes).

And if it's a contest, what's the price, now that I think about it? :?
[Pumo software main website] - Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels) -- [Official R.a.M. Land's website] (You can find my music here)
LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by LightWolf »

To enter, none.
To win, your level going into "DBB Select". I am surprised that I hadn't thought about anything beyond that. I will be sure to for the top 3 places. You will be notified if you "made the cut" (top 15).
#AllLivesMatter
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

OK, it doesn't sounds bad.

Let's see the general reception of this, as making a DBB top 15 list would be a nice plan.
[Pumo software main website] - Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels) -- [Official R.a.M. Land's website] (You can find my music here)
LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by LightWolf »

Are you signing up? :)
#AllLivesMatter
LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by LightWolf »

Not top 15 authors, top 15 levels.
#AllLivesMatter
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

OK, the plan sounds fair enough.

You can count me in already if it gets done, but before posting missions/levels I may wait to see if there's someone else willing to participate, as this wouldn't be a competition without other members on the boat.

(and if you're a D2X-XL user as your said on other post, you may already know some of my work beforehand :P)
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

I have too many ideas for my own missions that I've never finished, so I'll probably end up sitting this one out, sadly.
Ship's cat, MPSV Iberia: beware of cat.
Beware my original music, at http://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden.
LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by LightWolf »

Pumo wrote:OK, the plan sounds fair enough.
...I may wait to see if there's someone else willing to participate, as this wouldn't be a competition without other members on the boat.
I'll make a topic with a poll. Submit there.
Alter-Fox wrote:I have too many ideas for my own missions that I've never finished, so I'll probably end up sitting this one out, sadly.
I wrote:Levels from prebuilt missions welcome.
#AllLivesMatter
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

Well, so I will be signing up! :D

I hope to see more participants on this soon, but at least you got already one. :mrgreen:
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

Yeah but I don't like submitting a piece of design to a project that I've already used for another project. It's lazy. It's not the same as releasing a single off an album you've written to promote that album, or turning a single you've released already into an album... not the same at all. I wouldn't mind submitting the entire mission for judgement if I have it done in time, even though you obviously couldn't include it in your level set.
I might still have some old D2X-XL maps I've never released that I could touch up (mostly texture alignments and robot deletions, these levels were made before I started reading Mark Rosewater or ever really understood the idea of game design). I might want to re-use some of them myself since they were never released, but I'll see if I've still got a copy of Sliver Station or Fols'd G'olo lying around. I might even still have a copy of my first D2X-XL level... Pumo knows the one :P.

I'll be keeping an eye on this just the same, regardless, I love contests.

I would strongly suggest you find some way to change your name though. Make it something unique to you, not a differently-elemental copy of somebody else's name. Especially not somebody as popular, level design wise, as Darkwolf, because then your work will always be in her shadow.

And the same with your signature, lol. You do realize why I changed mine, don't you? :D
It wasn't unique anymore.
Naphtha
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Naphtha »

Alter-Fox wrote:I would strongly suggest you find some way to change your name though. Make it something unique to you, not a differently-elemental copy of somebody else's name. Especially not somebody as popular, level design wise, as Darkwolf, because then your work will always be in her shadow.

And the same with your signature, lol. You do realize why I changed mine, don't you? :D
It wasn't unique anymore.
This. You can't just rip off someone else's name and ideas and hope to ride on the coattails of her success. Traces of inspiration are fine, but you need to combine those to find your own way to the top like the best level designers did. I've been trying to tell you that all along, but maybe I've been too subtle in doing so...
First Lieutenant for the Red Dragons in the Descent Rangers. Join our ranks today!
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

In regards more to the level design contest, you might want to think about having a panel of three or four judges including yourself, than simply judging everything yourself. It takes away a lot of the subjectivity of judging for one thing (which is why most contests have more than one judge) and it would also give the contest more weight with the community to have some people that all the rest of us know and have learned to respect judging these maps.

To find those people, well, it shouldn't be hard, if you look for them.
LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by LightWolf »

I'll look.
#AllLivesMatter
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

I agree, Darkearthwolf...really? I almost had to do a double take to see if I wasn't making extra posts to this forum.
LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by LightWolf »

I asked an admin to change it to "LightWolf" for me.
#AllLivesMatter
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

I think I'll change my nick to Alter-Coyote. I'm sure Foxy won't mind :lol:
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

:lol:
Eh, I think it's ok. We have so many wolves here that anybody who missed his first few months wouldn't have any idea about a naming incident. Besides, some people have a huge amount of trouble coming up with names. I just spent an entire day coming up with a title for a song I'd finished at the start of that day (and then settled on a word that very few people know is a word :P). I can relate. Most of my names are either entirely descriptive (The Winged Ferret, Aspect of the Bizzare) or variations on this one.

And Windows still doesn't recognize bizzare as a word, lol.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Alter-Fox wrote:And Windows still doesn't recognize bizzare as a word, lol.
That's because "bizzare" is not a word.

(The word is "bizarre".)

:roll:
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

Well it is a word if I say it is :P. I'll spell bizzare bizzarely if I want to spell bizzare bizzarely.
Seriously I've been doing it for too long to just change. Cuz I said so. :lol:
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

If it's your own custom spelling, why would you expect Windows to recognize it? :huh:
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

Well everybody I know uses it. Family, friends... I use it the most :P.
Maybe it's different in Canada. Either that or we're all wrong and we've been teaching each other the wrong way to spell it, but Microsoft doesn't recognise "colour", either... :lol:
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Yeah, no dice on "bizzare" unless it becomes a lot more common, but "colour" should be approved as long as it's using the right dictionary. You'll probably want en-CA instead of en-US.

I think spell checking is often application-by-application, though. Firefox has its own dictionaries, for instance; it doesn't use anything from Windows itself to implement it (probably because they want to be cross-platform).

...wow, was this thread really about a level contest? Oh dear.
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

Bizarre is an awesome word :D

Quite intellectual in register, too.
LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by LightWolf »

Nice to see some publicity. Back to the contest now!
#AllLivesMatter
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

Ya, sry for off-topic.
RetroChallengeGamer
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by RetroChallengeGamer »

Edited for great justice!

Realized I didn't really have anything to add to the discussion.