D1/D2 Coop vs Singleplayer differences?

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

D1/D2 Coop vs Singleplayer differences?

Post by Avder »

A friend of mine who has played through D1 a couple times but never played through D2 decided he wanted to try going through Counterstrike on insane in co-op using rebirth. Not long after we got going I noticed a couple differences between D2's Singleplayer and Co-Op modes: the ITD bot hung around and fought like any other robot instead of hitting and running, pigs and pests seemed to move a lot slower, the thief exploded for no reason in level 1 (and acted normally in level 2), and no point bonuses are awarded between levels.

What I'm wondering is if the game is supposed to be like that in co-op? It didn't feel like playing on insane at all. We only played through level 2, so I'm also wondering what other changes there will be through the rest of the mission.

I'd also like to know if there are similar differences in D1's co-op.

Also, does anyone know if Rebirth uses long packets or short packets? Cause even with 20 packets per second and a 30ms ping it felt a bit too jittery. I would love a way to increase the number of packets, if at all possible, and use long packets if Rebirth uses short packets by default.
Naphtha
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re: D1/D2 Coop vs Singleplayer differences?

Post by Naphtha »

From what I gather, some of the issues in D2 co-op are because the robots have some sort of targeting AI. In single-player, there's only one target, but when it can switch back and forth in co-op, some robots seem to get confused (take the Omega Spawn for instance, it doesn't even chase anyone at all :lol: ). I don't think that addresses every issue, but it at least explains cases like the IT Droid and jitteriness when the Thief tries to fly around.

As far as packets go, I don't know if this helps any, but the default within the Rangers at least seems to be hosting with 10 packets per second. That seems to be the most stable.
First Lieutenant for the Red Dragons in the Descent Rangers. Join our ranks today!
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Avder, I've not tried Rebirth in coop. You might want to fit their forums and see if Zico has some answers that might be rebirth specifically related.

Over all sounds like Naphtha nailed it.
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

That's the risk taken when playing on a C/S model.
That's why the best players prefer to play D1x over kali, more accurate and less ping problems, If you're playing someone with a good ping then the playing will be good, and vice-versa.
I know many people who don't play anymore because all the new guys only like to play Rebirth.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

I'd be surprised if more than half of the people currently playing have a computer that can even run the original D1x over Kali... pretty sure I'd be out of luck. DOSBox would work though.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

lol, it would be nice to able to run Kali.