Counterstrike-style level naming

For Descent, Descent II and Descent3 level editing and modification assistance.
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Counterstrike-style level naming

Post by Xfing »

Is it possible to do it the way it was done in Counterstrike? I mean like when the automap reads

Zeta Aquilae 3: Wenl Mine

But the end-level tally reads only "Wenl Mine Destroyed".

When reading the data in the Mission tab in DLE, it also only says "Wenl Mine".

Is this some kind of hard-coded feature, or can it be handled by some sort of file? Maybe the naming of the level files has something to do with it (i.e. d2leva-1.rl2 or d2levf-2.rl2)?

And most importantly: can this be replicated? I think I saw something like this in The Lost Levels, but I'm not sure whether it worked on the same mechanics. Typing the whole level name in the editor could work (like for example Solar System 1: Lunar Titanium Mine), but all this will get displayed in the end-level tally screen and will distort it because of the length, as Descent won't break it into two lines.
Descent 1,5: Level layouts done: 52/54 Secret level layouts done: 1/6
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re: Counterstrike-style level naming

Post by Sirius »

It's hard-coded into the automap, yeah.
Naphtha
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Naphtha »

I do know that the full titles still show up on the bonus screens in The Lost Levels. Level 13, for example, was "Mineral Dig 1: Frost Kru'eng," and that entire name shows up in both the automap and the bonus screen.
First Lieutenant for the Red Dragons in the Descent Rangers. Join our ranks today!
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

Yeah, it does. But with our names it will be a bit impractical, so I'm looking around to find out if there's another solution.
Naphtha
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Naphtha »

The best solution I can come up with would either be abbreviating the names a bit ("Solar System" to "Sol," "Baloris Prime" to "Baloris," "Ku'thaaz G'herb-ilk Station" to "Ku'thaaz G'herb-ilk"...) in the automaps and having some sort of briefing before each level which could include the full level title as well as some graphic of the system as well. That probably wouldn't be too hard to whip up and could also fit with the whole "race against time" feel of skipping back and forth between systems in the D2 section at the very least, by giving a brief summary of each installation.
First Lieutenant for the Red Dragons in the Descent Rangers. Join our ranks today!
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

Yep, that much's already established. I will never approve this set's release without D1-style planetary briefings xDD

But you're right, we can definitely cut down on the name lengths. I'll think of the way soon.